1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense of Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Oct 26, 2020.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Ok it’s RATBIRDS week. 1st question to the board - how to defense Lamar?

- Rush 4 and spy with LB
    - Rush 5 and bring the extra man
    - Rush 3 and play zone

I like to attack and option 2 is what I am used to but maybe option 1 is best this week. On most teams we can get pressure with our front 4 but losing containment on Lamar is why the Spy is needed. What do others think?

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm for the spy. I said in another post that we should use Vince primarily to spy because I don't think Spillane is the best man for that job. TJ and Bud can set the edge on their way to LJ and funnel him up in the pocket for Cam, Stephon, and Alualu to lay the lumber. If he tries to run up the gut, Vince needs to fill the gap quickly and make him regret showing up to the stadium.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Also, if he begins to show the tendency to run out of wide edge pressure by stepping up and running between the pressure and the line, we can stunt. Let the edge rusher push wide and blitz Edmunds or another db through the gap. Hilton is really good at that but don't know his status.

I think we can confuse him and take advantage of his frustration. He'll start pressing and make mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    a spy would be the logical choice...….. other than that, you just have to have effective gap control

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He should call Ray Lewis.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yup. And a spy gives you an extra man to disrupt the quick, underneath stuff if LJ wants to try and dump something off. If Vince, or Spillane, isn't accounted for, either one might be standing right in front of an 5-yard dump over the middle.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean, you have to account for him via a spy. That said, make sure that spy is very quick in lateral movement. Lamar can make just about anyone miss.

That however is only but a portion to win. Keep him contained in the pocket. Doing so forces him to throw the Football. Given his struggles this season thus far, that is one of the best routes to win the game.

Best one is to jump out to an early lead. Do that and Lamar will be forced to play catch up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This. And keep him off the field like the first half in Tennessee.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I just want somebody on defense to light Lamar up, make him think twice about running.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Keep him guessing and don't keep doing the same thing.

I think Lamar is a dynamite athlete, and he plays his game as such. I think he struggles a times with the reads of the defense, he's not up there with the upper tier QB's on the NFL at least not yet any how in that category.

Keep him guessing confuse him, Blitz, 4 man rushes, rush 3 drop the rest, play man, play off. Mix bag of tricks, I would expect no huddle by the Ravens, they aren't going to let the Steelers sub in and out.

Which why the offense will have to wear down the Ravens defense, to wear the Ravens offense can't run no huddle on threat of a quick 3 and out.

Steelers method seems to shut down the run game, make you one dimensional especially early on.

I think they continue that method, it's been a good success for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I never bought into the idea of a spy for a QB like Lamar. If you're just reacting to what he does you're going to be late, and it takes a guy out of run defense for other runs.

12. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I still don’t think he can throw the ball. I don’t care what anyone says. He struggles mightily to read defenses when I’ve watched him. He was straight garbage in that game against KC. Dont let him run and they don’t cross midfield for 3 quarters. Seen that happen too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I agree with this. Jackson has only thrown for barely over 200 yards in two games this season and the Ravens offense has run more times they they have thrown. That might work against teams like the Bengals or Browns who the Ravens have beaten but that’s not gonna get it done this week I don’t believe against this Steelers defense. The Chiefs offense put up big numbers against this Ravens defense and outgained them by nearly 300 yards. I can see Ben doing the exact same thing in this game and the Steelers jumping out to a big lead and if that happens Lamar Jackson is not the kind of QB that will be able to come from behind throwing the ball. I like the Steelers a lot in this matchup the more I look at it I really do.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    1 or 2. Problem with 1 is do we have any LB fast enough to catch him now with Bush out? I'd say maybe spy with Minkah and make Jamar beat us with his arm but Minkah has missed a lot of tackles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A running QB wants the edge..Take that away with the ends a bit wider and crashing keeping outside leverage .. A running QB wants lanes inside .Take that away by run blitzing inside give the A gaps hell..Finally a spy who can come clean up that means Minkah as single low Safety/Robber as we called it....His job would be middle zone about 8 yards off the ball and then the cleanup man in case the QB escapes...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why can't Terrell spy him? Leave Minkah back guessing right again.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Rush 4 and spy him with Vince but ultimately long sustained drives by the offense is also a priority. Keep him on the bench and our defense rested. When he is on the field force him to throw the ball instead of getting first downs with his feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'd rush four and spy. The loss of Bush hurts a lot but the Steelers can keep the running game in check either way; just make sure you're forcing LJ to throw.

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    The spy doesn't have to be able to run him down, just show in the gaps and be able to crash. Vince is better suited for this because he's also stouter against the run. Your spy can also be run support. I'd try not to give our db's anything else to think about. They have a hard enough time already. Our edge rushers have an extra job this week, setting the edge on the way to the qb. If they can do that, LJ's only real option with his legs is up the middle. That way, the spy won't have to outrun him outside the tackles.

I think we're set up well to do this. Set the edge, fill the gaps, and crash the pocket. That's what we've been doing all season. And we do all that while stopping the run. Just have to be disciplined and not overrun the play. Once he breaks contain, you're in trouble.

But honestly, after watching what we did against Henry, I don't know what the Ratbirds can throw at us that our defense can't stuff. We aren't selling out to stop the run. It's just a byproduct of attacking the run on the way to the qb. We don't have to change much of anything up front regardless of who we play. Other than incorporating a spy, we're going to line up and come after you. Good luck LJ, sleep well Saturday night. You're going to need it.

AND...it is entirely possible that Sunday evening, the ratbirds are sitting in 3rd place in the division.

AND...the bungles host the Titans. I kind of feel sorry for the bungles. Henry and co. has got to be a very angry bunch right now. They want the bad taste of losing out of their mouths, and Cinci is going to be their floss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I dont think Edmunds is fast enough ..I respect Lamars legs much more than his passing so use Edmunds as single High and Minkah as the single low ..

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I just checked & my results were both Minkah & Terrell run a 4.47. Lamar 4.34. I'd rather see Minkah jumping a predictable throw towards the te & Terrell playing to his strengths. Williams would be outmatched spying Lamar imo.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have seen their times as well , but Minkah just looks much faster than Edmunds in pads.. I would much rather have Minkah back there as well except this is against a poor passer , but hey Terrell might could play the single low as good as Minkah but my eye test leans towards Minkah against aa running QB..

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How about Gilbert being glued to him. He might be better suited athletically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    On options, play as if Lamar is keeping early on and hit him. On drop backs, hit him. On offense, score and get a lead.

Take away the run.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Make him think......game over!

• Like Like x 1