1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense not far from being elite

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Dec 12, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    WHAT?! you heard me. This team is leading the league in sacks. Smoke and mirrors? maybe. The thing is we are getting pressure, and these past 2 games Carr and Rivers are getting rid of the ball in about 2 seconds. Why? Some idiot is putting a LB on a WR, and the fact that our corners are playing 10 yards out is another. Front 7 is doing their job, back end not so much.

Coty= horrific
    Burns = lol
    Haden= decent
    Davis = average
    Edmunds = sucks but he has been improving and I like his attitude.
    Burnett= awful signing but it was a small gamble

Instead of firing Tomlin(although I woudn't lose sleep) fire the 2 coordinators doing terrible in their positions. Butler/smith. Special teams have been atrocious. tons of penalties, bad punts and kicks. We are lucky to have 7 wins with 2 facets of our team in shambles.

So after we win the super bowl this year and Ben retires, we will probably go 6-10 with Rudy at helm, draft a stud or two on the back end, depth on the D line and we win our 8th, 9th superbowls with Rudolph.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers need upgrades at ILB, OLB/DE, CB and Safety. Get all of those in Free Agency. Cut dead weight from the team for more cap space. Draft the best SEC DT/DE available when Steelers pick in round one. Get new DC and position coaches. Implement 4-3 Defense. Problem solved.

Steelers could trade either Tuitt or Heyward to a team starved for DE/DT. Get a Safety or CB in return. Roll with Hargrave and Tuitt/Heyward at DT. Get some badass pass rushing DEs.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I was surprised to see the Steelers defensive league standings. Yards/play 5th best, net passing yards/attempt 6th, running yards/attempt 8th. As the OP pointed out, not as far from elite as most would expect. (That says more about the other teams and the changes in the game rules, but that is the context.)

They are 4th worst in defense penalty yards, and 7th worst for rate of getting a turnover/takeaway, so that needs to be fixed. Those are the same problems for the Ravens, who otherwise have arguably the best defense right now.

Are you saying that 4-3 would require fewer players to plug the holes, or that it is a better scheme?
    4 out of the top 5 defenses (based on average yards/play) this year use the 3-4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Have you been eating your cat's catnip????:)

5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    at times our defense looks stout, then has brainfarts and dies.

We tend to give up late scoring td's because our defense is gassed. Why are they gassed? oh i dont know.. maybe because our offense starts farting/turtling and punting when they shouldve put the game away lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    nah just trying to put some positivity back on this board. It's tough but someone's got to do it lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Then we get run on.

Moreover...all you...sorry...all yinz want to get this or that in free agency. That's insane.
    We have big contracts right around the corner. Ju ju, Conner are the future.

Start drafting well on ****ing defense and get a smart coach.

That's the genius move

8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    It's easier for rookies to pick up the 4-3... especially rookies that play DE and LB. Most college teams play a 4-3. Steelers usually draft projects in the 1st round and these "projects" take years to develop. That... and since more teams are drafting for 3-4, the players that are good enough to start in a 3-4 as rookies usually go in picks 1-15. Steelers rarely pick anywhere in the top 15.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree that the Steelers draft projects. But if they did this well, wouldn't the three year and older veteran projects be contributing by now? This project 'stuff' is asinine. If you need a run stuffing lb, then draft a run stuffing lb. Don't draft a college down lineman and plan to teach him to play lb. Other teams draft players suited to the position they draft for. All too often, the Steelers draft a player and try to teach that player a new position. Sometimes BPA is okay, but consistently drafting a hybrid or project isn't going to pan out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    The defense has given the team ample amount of oppurtunities to win. It just seems when we have a lead we like to play comfortable, and then when we go down a score, we turn up and score every drive the rest of the game, only to be let down by an exhausted defense.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think having a game where they could get a few turnovers would go a long way.

Steelers had their best success when they can rush the passer, if they don't get home, it's trouble. I don't care who is playing QB.

It seems that beating Brady (most of the time)is the rushing 4 guys and playing man, and keeping them (him) guessing what 4 come on the rush at times.

Of course the best medicine is keeping the TOP up and getting points out of drives. They can't beat you when they are on the sidelines.

12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Our problem is that we can’t jam slot receivers without tipping our who’s-coming hand. QBs know who their quick-release target(s) is/are, and we’re letting them get off the line freely.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If the likes of Tuitt, Heyward and Hargrave would end up forming a three headed monster in an attacking 4-3 scheme on the interior, what good would it do to trade either Heyward or Tuitt for essentially a lottery ticket? Other than that I do agree that the 4-3 is more simplistic to implement as many colleges do use it.

Regarding the OP post, I agree. Get rid of Butler and find a new Defensive Coordinator. Someone who can place their talent in positions to win would help this defense greatly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's scheme and talent. The scheme is total junk but so are the CBs. Getting nothing out of Jones, Shaz, and Burns is terrible, especially with Dupree and Edmonds doing little. Missed on so many first round picks it is depressing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Wouldn't an elite D, or one on the verge of being one, get a takeaway every onece in a while?

To lead the league in sacks and to be near the bottom in takeaways is quite a feat. It's not a terrible D, but it's not a very good one either. Good QBs have their way with this D almost every time they face one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Stupid plays on offense is over working the defense. We need to pull a Ditka, trade all the draft picks for one defensive player.:huh:

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm beginning to suspect that despite the closeNess of the linebacker Corp as a whole that there is little cooperation or communication between Jerry and Joey. I mentioned how surprised I was to see how disiplined some of the Raiders rookies were on defense. On one outside run by Samuels, the Raiders linebacker #50 mirrored him two yards behind the line of scrimmage and once Samuels committed to his cut outside of the tackle, the LB flew up and made the tackle for minimal gain. While he followed the running back his spot was filled in by the safety. Contrast that with what VWILL does after 4 years which is explode to the first gap he sees and gets blocked while Davis hangs back in no man's land. Where is the teaching guys?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Do you even watch football? A linebacker on a wide receiver or tight end happens in every single freaking game on every single freaking weekend.

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Nope I’m too busy making dumb posts lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Impressive showing Sunday. We all see what a difference forcing a turnover does to your defense. Wouldve won that charger game as well and we would be sitting nice right now.

Big test in the dome. Saints will not be held to 10 or 12. First and foremost just win. second, I hope we hold them to under 25 to get this defense some momentum for the playoffs.

Would be a fantastic christmas present for us all

• Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Hopefully Steelers will still have a chip on their shoulders. Steelers seem to play better when they are picked by national sports media to lose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tackle the catch philosophy is the only reason we do not jam receivers & play 10 yards off the receiver imo. Other than Hayden & occasionally Edmunds Im having a hard time remembering anyone making a play on the ball.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The 4-3 debate is crazy. So many people think changing our front 7 scheme will magically “fix” our defense... ironically it’s not the front 7 that struggles. Also the move to the 4-3 would likely cause some position turnover as guys like Heyward, Tuitt, and Watt would all be round peg in a square hole type players and would need to be offloaded. In all likelihood we would get much worse on defense before we got better with a 4-3 switch.

We should be focusing on an ILB and a CB. If we can get someone opposite Haden who can play, we’d be in a good spot. Add a gamechanger in the same mold of Shazier in the middle and we have a great defense. We are already very solid at the starting positions at DT, DE, OLB, and even S assuming Edmunds continues to improve. We are not far away.

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not sure about elite, but the defense is better than people make it out to be. Losing Shazier hurt a ton. Also the AR2 picks of Jarvis Jones and Golson set us back as well.