1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Legit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 8, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We asked for these things:

Better run D- 6th, drastically improved
    Pressure- lead in sacks and pressures
    Better tackling- drastically improved
    Red zone offense- #1
    Better clock management- yup

It’s time to praise Mike Tomlin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We also asked for block numbers and cheerleaders.

Which we got, via throwback unis and Bell’s twitter account.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That's what fans do hope....well most fans!!! :shrug::shrug:

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We need better run defense

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

You may be right but as long as we keep winning I am fine with that. I think is you look at this defense from week 1 to now you will see a big improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Huh?

7th in total yards and 9th in yards attempt, 9th in tds allowed.

Top 10 in all 3 categories that’s pretty solid

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I must be watching a different team, our run defense is solid. I'm looking forward to Fournette, they've shut every other runner down. Time to put that big boy on his ass.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    For reals I want revenge bad. Revenge tour ‘18

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I just watched a video that said the Pats and Chiefs have very low rated defenses, where we were somewhere in the middle.

The potential is there. If our offense keeps clicking and we are as good as them on offense, we should have an edge over both of them because of the defense.

The only problem seems to me that our defense seems better stopping the run. If we play them and they pass every down, that could be a problem if they can execute that successfully.

10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Extra tidbits

Steelers 5th in yards per pass attempt.

17th in pass yards against
    20th in qb rating

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Not necessarily. If we are up and know they are passing, see Carolina lol.

Balanced offenses kill us

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    8th in 3rd down percentage allowed, 3rd in percentage converted

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Watch the yards per carry more than the yards per game. The Steelers give up 4.1 per rush, which is 12th in the league. Just as the Steelers were getting away from the run due to the game situation early in the season, opponents have been doing that of late. The Bengals ran well against the Steelers, but didn't do it enough. The same was true of the Panthers.

With Fournette back and Bortles struggling, the Jaguars might actually stick to the run. That will be a real test.

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, you are watching a different team. Cam gave us that game. McCaffrey was gauging us. If they didnt fall behind so quickly ... McCaffrey wouldve had an even better night then he did

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One of us is anyway.

What about the other 8 games? They didn't give up on McCafrrey, he's their main weapon.

Guess they have to be ranked number 1 to get credit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They did make some adjustments, but the idea that the run defense was even decent against the Panthers is just silly.

Overall, the defense was good. They had huge breakdowns on the first two touchdowns, but otherwise they were decent in coverage and got great, consistent pressure on Newton.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yea they did that against Carolina but I think that was designed as both our OLB's Dupree and Watt were to focus on Cam Newton and keep him check, which they did good. In doing this they did go right by the RB at times and continued toward Cam to get a hits on him or hurry him up on play action.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I always give the D credit if they play well. Hell, even if we lose but they play well I'll give them credit. I don't dwell on single games much though because I want championships. I'm not a Browns fan focusing on just getting a few wins. So while I can give them credit for beating the visiting team on a Thursday night, I have my sights set on NO, NE, and to a lesser degree, SD and Denver. More than anything, I want to see what we can do against NO. That team is absolutely firing on all cylinders and I'm not too sure how we can beat them.

I no longer care about Jax. They aren't a good team. Fournette is also overrated and always has been.

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We will likely get blown up again but that’s the way it goes in this new league

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I feel like the read option plays have us the most problem. They weren’t gouging us in any other type of play. We gave up a couple good runs and the two swing passes that we weren’t ready for (be prepared to see some I. The next few weeks).

Football is a team game. Sometimes the Offense makes it easier on the Defense, and other times vice versa. At the end of the day our defense will love and die by the front 7. If we can stop the run and get pressure, we can beat anyone

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Better run D: YES
    Pressure: HELL YES
    Better tracking: Yes
    RZ: YES!
    Clock management: meh not much better

I always liked Tomlin better than most. He’s done a pretty good job. Now we just need to find a way to win the game Monday thru Saturday... that’s really the only thing I’ve seen that’s lacking (aside from his still poor game management).

• Like Like x 1
  22. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I've seen our OLB's go by RB's with the ball in other games too. It's both Dupree and Watt, not just one.

I know we have to get pressure on the QB but if the QB doesn't have the ball then there is no point in targeting him and taking yourself completely out of the play. Sometimes the lineman is blocking their view so they don't always see the RB with the ball.

I just think they should put a little more emphasis on playing the run and try to keep a good view of the QB so they see the hand offs.

And, when they do get to the QB and go for a sack they should have their hands out in front of them so the hands make the hit and not the helmet.

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Less disappointment if you let yourself enjoy a game more. Expecting championships every year could be depressing and certainly unrealistic. Just my 2 cents!

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We have the best defense out of the top 5 offenses. We are #4 in offense ppg/ 4th in ypg.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That is hard to believe after what we've seen over the past 2 years. But it's true. Even the NFL Network crew, who is very pro-Brady/Patriots, brought up the Steelers defensive stats.

• Like Like x 2