1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Defense Defense

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 7, 2014.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They also had "Johnny football" and Jameis Winston as their QB's.. Ebron had Bryn Renner. ANNNNDDDD Heath has nothing to do with it :facepalm:.. Upgrading Spaeth, getting ready for the future and adding weapons is what it's about. TE might not be a priority but it's pretty consensus around the draftnik "world" that the Steelers need to draft a viable TE. You're comfortable with what we have if #83 goes down to injury again???

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that was supposed to be Paulson and spaeth was brought here to cover while heath was getting back to speed. spaeth going down made us worse than we would have been had spaeth been healthy early.:cool:

3. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    We disagree on what Spaeth brings to the table. I feel that he is very limited mac..

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he is good at what they wanted him for. to be honest, DJ was blocking really well before he got hurt again. MT loves him. I think Paulson is gone. he won't cost us much to dump either in dead money vs. salary. heath will be back closer to the old heath and ben loves to throw to heath. so much we just don't know right now to make a call.:cool:

5. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed..

There's a lot of variables right now. It will become more clear after free agency.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter the Steelers have more pressing needs than a TE even if he's good. You win big games with dynamic play from WR's we disagree on draft strategy.

7. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    That's ok, it's good to have differing points of view. It brings about healthy debate..

BTW, when can we expect your mock??

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You win with dynamic players, period. Whether it be a Calvin Johnson or a Gronk.

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbs_up:

10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Not sure why so many people think receivers win games. There are so many reasons this is not true I do not know where to start.

Randy Moss is the best big-play receiver in history and he did NOTHING in the playoffs (even with Brady as his QB).

In 2007 the greatest big-play receiver in the history of the NFL... with a top 5 NFL QB all-time... played on the "greatest team in NFL history"... and managed 7 catches on 18 targets for 1 touchdown in 3 games.

So... lesson learned... even if you drafted the best player ever at WR it is no substitute for great defense and fundamental football.

11. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I can tell which direction you want to go by your s/n.

The days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust is over.

The running game is still very important but you must be able to move the ball through the air in todays NFL IMO.

If you don't think we need to upgrade WR when Cotchery and Wheaton are our present #2's, I'm not going to be able to convince you.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    wheaton is a 3rd round pick. same as sanders and Wallace and 3 spots ahead of our star WR. I think they have plans for him.:cool:

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    He's a slot receiver just like Sanders was. He's not a #2 IMO..

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While there a few of you banging the drum for a TE @ #15 (with #58 being at the front of the line ;)), I am just not convinced on Ebron or Amaro being THAT good.

Ebron is clearly the better athlete (but not quite Vernon Davis speed) while Amaro bring a little more size to the party (not quite Gronk size). I'll be honest with myself here in saying that I did not foresee Gronk's emergence coming out of Arizona in 2010. And very few foresaw Jimmy Graham becoming elite. So it does seem like TE is a little trickier in evaulating.

I agree that IF Ebron became Vernon Davis and IF Amaro became Gronk, I would be all for that at #15. My own personal beliefs are that both Ebron and Amaro don't stack up. Like freak, I actually like Seferian-Jenkins more.

From the video I have watched so far, both Ebron and Amaro offer VERY LITTLE in terms of blocking (something Gronk/Heath/etc..) do very well. So if they aren't going to be able to atleast block a little, they are essentially just receivers (like Jimmy Graham), and now the question is, are they better than the WRs available? In my opinion, No. To me, that is where the debate lies.

15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    well
    I'd prefer yelling EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEbron
    instead of Saffron Jenkins after a touchdown is scored
    so I guess that's why I lean a little more towards Erik
    I mean really. how is that gonna sound we got to plan this out entirely.
    Jace ? How is that pronounced? Is the "J" silent?

We took Heath in the first round 9 years ago and lets just hope he stays healthy of course ,but it doesn't hurt to look forward to the future TE.
    Hell people want to get our new QB in the mix already just to be ready if or when Ben can't do it anymore.

Shoot, weren't we joking around earlier this past season of how many tight ends we brought in ,looked at, signed up ,put on practice squad etc... taking up roster spots and monies?
    This year I feel is the time to get one to be the next heir apparent. Seems we are in a prime position to get a damn good one early ,and make other teams pay.
    Ben loves going to Heath, imagine if the man has two TWO go to guys. Watch out, I see 7 8 9.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    [video=youtube;lPZ5ZDWEADo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo[/video]

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I believe that it's more of a "soft j", pronounced like a "y". He must drive one of the fine American vehicles Ron Burgundy was advertising just before Christmas. "Yodge" Durango? "Yodge" Charger? or the stylish "Yodge" Dart. This post is going downhill fast haha

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I tend to agree with your reasoning here NB. I like the top WR's better than the top TE's, particularly within our current offensive scheme. What kind of blocker is ASJ, and is there a realistic possibility he is availabe at pick 47?

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    He needs work as a blocker, IMO. I watched 5 or so games, and it was mixed. In space, he stayed on his block well. At scrimmage, it was mixed. There were times when he was easily pushed off his block or was too upright. I'm not saying he's not worthy of being picked, just reporting what I saw. I need to watch more Huskies games to get a more complete picture. Love how he can go up and attack the ball, though.

I've joked about this before, but the Steelers may have a bad taste in their mouth concerning Huskies with DUI convictions.

21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Antonio is dynamic. seattle won with very little on offense in my opinion. I think if we sure up the defense the offense is fine with what we have. now saying that it never hurts to add playmakers. I just don't know where you play them. heath is our te and no rookie is gonna come in and take his place. if wheaton steps up like I think he will, I just don't think a rookie comes in and plays much. if sanders leaves I think moye or brown can step up and we bring back Jericho. I think we can skip a year or two before te becomes a huge need. I just don't see how you could watch this team this year and not think that defense has to be the priority.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree defense needs to be favored in this draft but are we going to go defense in every round? Also, why can't Heath and Ebron be on the field at the same time? And it's not just about next year, he could be a weapon for years.

I think the offense is very close but can use a couple more pieces. Don't be fooled by the 28 points a game they average over the last several weeks, that was mostly accomplished with the hurry up, they were pretty average and below when not operating out of that. We aren't going to run the hurry up exclusively so IMO we need a weapon or two more to be able to move the ball when operating out of the regular offense. Ebron would create serious mismatches, would love to have him in black and gold.

23. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    This pretty much sums up my feelings.. Why do people think that we can't run 2 TE sets?? This completely baffles me.

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It is. I was just having fun lol darcrav's post reminded me of the Ron Burgundy Dodge commercials where he believes it is a "soft D" and pronounced "Yodge". Am I the only one who got my joke? haha wouldn't be the first time....

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Ha! I got the commercial joke, but thought the soft J was serious. :-D