1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DeCastro Broken Hand

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    All reports say that he was fine after the game. So that would mean it’s not sever enough to require surgery.

Typically most hand breaks only require 3 weeks to heal with a splint.

I’d bet he wears a splint during the week and then plays through it. He’s a stud. That is all.

2. SteelerFaninSocal

SteelerFaninSocal Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Agree. DeCastro is the man and won't miss a play because of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He may not miss time, but I would imagine he won't be at his best.

I hope at least Tomlin has the sense to keep Feiler active for this week just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Wouldn't Finney be the next man up? Or do you mean dress and extra, extra lineman this week?

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Who was the dude from the Redskins who broke both his thumbs/hand years ago?

He played all year with 2 clubs.

DeCastro may not be at his best but he will get out there and battle.

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Fractured hand...Is he out?

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Said they'll monitor him thru the week.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Same thread started yesterday (look 8 threads down). All this redundant cyber space grabbing is costing TTF a bundle. His supporters are going broke. ;)

Edit: Sorry Chief, I see you're working OT trying to keep up with this matter. Just becoming a pet peeve of mine with good threads getting buried by redundant new threads. Apparently it's only annoying me. I'll go hide or nap. :sleepy:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Tomlin said he will let the week talk to him. He sees dead people

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Whew!
    There goes one drive killing redzone penalty!

No holding from him Hahahahahahaha!

If he holds with his good hand, someone smack him on the helmet please.

12. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Broken hand is usually not like a broken arm or wrist. There are many bones in the hand, some very small, just like a foot. So, he could have broken a small bone in his hand. Still will need to be isolated and protected, but depending on the actual bone or bones, you could still function a lot better than if it were an arm or leg.

I do disagree with the 3 weeks for healing though. Maybe a finger, but a bone usually needs 6 weeks to completely heal as a baseline. A few bones may take a little longer but the basic rule is 6 weeks. I have broken both my arm and a small bone in my foot so it does vary. Given the medical advancements at the Steelers disposal, unless it was a compound fracture or a crushing type of fracture, a broken bone in the hand if isolated properly should not prohibit him from playing. Not know the severity of the break, one can only guess at this time.

rutan

13. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Edward scissor hands kinda deal!!!

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I meant they should have three reserve offensive linemen active with a starter hurting. Yes, Finney would be the next man up. Going with only two reserves up front seems to be a risk under the best of circumstances, moreso with DeCastro's injury. What if he tries to play and can't go?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

Ray Fittipaldo @rayfitt1

David DeCastro said his hand injury is more serious than he originally believed. His hand is still swollen. Can’t be fitted for a brace until the swelling goes down. BJ Finney is up if he can’t go Sunday.

16. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    That isn’t surprising. Still good news that no one is bringing up or even suggesting surgery.

I believe the only reason he said it is worse than initially thought is because of the adrenaline of playing a football game. Always is the case that the injury swells and feels much worse the next couple of days. The X-ray would have shown straight off how bad the break was so that they aren’t taking anymore precautions is a good thing.

Truly sounds that if the swelling goes down and he’s able to get a brace on it and play through the pain, that he will be able to play soon, if not this weekend.

17. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I just wonder if a guy with a bandaged broken hand is really better than a fully healthy backup? Finney or Fieler might be the better option.

18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My mind instantly went in two directions

1) I'll be they will still call him for holding
    2) We should break the hands of everyone on the o-line (though I think one of our few holds was against a WR last weekend IIRC)

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Finney will be fine if called upon. He has shown to be more than a mere backup. Besides, if anything, this is just a further audition, rather prelude to the "Grand Finale" for his 2019 season as it is likely that Foster is gone.

20. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    This is also true. While it would suck to lose DeCastro for an extended amount of time, because he is an All-Pro, but I’d guess that Finney would be a starting G on most of the teams around the league.

He has done nothing but perform and perform well when called upon. Which seems like almost half of the past couple of seasons.

21. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I agree that finney is fine and shouldnt rush him back . sounds like a game at most til he can put a cast on.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd play finney or feiler for sure. finney is the backup center so i may even think more about feiler first. :cool: