1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the reality of the situation.....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Dean, Apr 20, 2016.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Clearly we have a TON of needs on defense. I say we see how the draft goes and take the BPA on defense for the first 3 rounds. Mix it up between CB, S, OLB, DL with the first 3 picks and we should be manageable.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i still think walton (6-5 305) last years 6th rounder and lyons (6-5 285) are the backups this year on the D-line. maybe philon (6-3 291). hooks (6-3 312) will get a shot behind big dan too. don't forget we added ricardo mathews (6-3 300) too. i'm not certain we see a D-lineman unless someone falls in our laps. i look for the OLB spot to bill sought after though. i'd have to say at least by the 3rd.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i have some faith in chickillo making some noise this year but another OLB would really help. we could possibly lose 2 after this year. depends on harrison too if he comes back this year. JJ and harrison by next year maybe. leaves us pretty thin if a move isn't made this year. timmons also hasn't been signed after this year. LB could really come into play as much as DB in this one. :cool:

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I miss Howard Jones. Always liked him and thought it was a huge mistake to let him go. He had 5 sacks with TB last year. Zumwalt and Chick better show something this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    The Bucs offered Jones the rookie minimum salary to for a spot on their practice squad. It would a small price for the Steelers to match it, and I wish they had done so, but they probably didn't want to set the precedent. Jones probably figured he might get a spot on Tampa's 53-man roster sooner than the Steelers, in addition to the obvious money decision.

As for Chickillo, he was a pre-season phenom, but I think he's a man without a position. Not big enough to be a DE, doesn't have the speed or cover ability to be a great OLB.

Zumwalt would be the next Sean Spence if he can make the team after two years on IR. Odds are against it, I think.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    chickillo was just a rookie last year. they also put him on the active roster when teams were sniffing around. heck dupree didn't play alot until later in the year and he was a first rounder. zumwalt has been here and hurt for two years and now his 3rd. :cool:

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No he wouldn't, not when you have many holes on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Check out @JuMosq's Tweet:

:facepalm::cry:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    check out that LT that will be cut soon. :smiley1::cool: