1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the reality of the situation.....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Dean, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Not at all but when someone says the draft is "deep" at cornerback; what I hear is.., "theres not enough seperation between the top end talent and the middle round and late round talent." Deep.

Steelers nation doesnt like the mighty mites like Golson and Jones, but Jones put up some serious tape and measurables (other than his height). First in the 40, 3rd in reps on the bench.

One thing I take away from this draft class is that if Will Jax or hargreaves arent available, then its worth taking a cb later. Mackenzie and Apple played very little zone. Knowledge of zone schemes will probably play a role in who they pick at cb. Shamarko Thomas is our most recent example of a world-breaker athlete without the proper football IQ. Little guys seem to prosper in Zone because they HAVE to be smart to make up those mismatches. They also have to be physical enough and pesty enough to jam recievers off their routes. Jonathon Jones definitely fits that mold and its been a mold Steelers have been targeting.

I like Golson, I like Cockrell hes the good, tall, outside corner that we need with Gay. I'm honestly comfortable. I think we just need a proper slot corner and a better pass rush. Which is why I think they will target another mighty mite, another small but physical and fast cb in the mid rounds. While addressing the pass rush with either a OLB or DE that falls to 25 or a Billings/Butler disruptive DT. I dont think we will see a DB til round 2 and after. Definitely sounds like Colberts MO.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I like how you broke that down Blitz. If things play out the way you say then I know Colbert isn't serious about going to the Super Bowl this year because there are too many "if's" and "maybes" to count on in the current secondary. We need bonafide talent that we can count on ascending as the season progresses.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    But that definitely is Colbert's M.O.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to ask. Do you really believe that if Colbert doesn't pick a CB early, that he isn't serious about going to the SB this year?

2nd question, do you really believe that if we take a CB in the first, that he will play significant snaps? Make a huge difference? It's only the hardest position to learn.

You are setting yourself up for such massive disappointment.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    What I do know is that if the worse secondary in the league doesn't get better, we are not going anywhere. And to get better, a first step has to be taken. And right now, the only step that can be taken is through the draft. Since the secondary was the worse, a talented rookie coming in cant play any worse then what we saw last year. But at least that rookie will have the upside to be better as the season progresses. Adding a talented rookie, a veteran CB or safety also, along with drafting a safety too will make this secondary better as the season progresses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they view Cockrell as a starter, he's more of a fill-in guy there was talk he doesn't play physical enough. If they want to draft a smaller CB like Cyrus Jones or Jonathon Jones in the mid rounds, then they should double dip at CB and get a bigger CB in the early rounds IMO.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cockrell didn't have the advantage of camp last year. blake and allen are gone. golson and grant have a year of learning some of the new defense as do most of the guys that came from our previous base 3-4. they are all learning this hybrid together. the secondary has already gotten better without blake and allen being starters dean. we are adding depth now and an eventual starter when gay gets older. JJ's spot could be the only one up for grabs early on as a starter. :cool:

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm a big fan of Cockrell. I think he can be a #2 CB. Always seems to be around the ball....

So someone talk me off the ledge here. All off season I have had CB as the clear #1 need. I've been cruising through the NFL Network marathon of round 1 draft recaps going back to 2010.

So many CBs taken in round 1. Guys I liked while scouting them. So many of them have amounted to nothing in the NFL. Even if they did fall to us at #25, will they produce or fail like so many others have. More nervous about Apple and Jackson than ever.

I feel safer with Fuller and Alexander.

Where's the DrunkGM @winggin with some liquid courage when ya need him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You have good reason to be nervous about Jackson and Apple. I think at least 50% of the 1st round "can't miss" height/weight/speed corners from recent drafts have performed far lower than their draft status. Milliner. Claiborne. Kirkpatrick. Dennard (so far). There are others, but I'm too tired to dig back. I have Fuller solidly #3 behind Ramsey and Hargreaves. I just don't throw it out there much because I don't feel like getting drawn into yet another clueless "he's not 6'+ so he sucks" discussion. Alexander I don't like at #25, mainly because he fits a man scheme better, but also because I don't think he's a first round value. Could Apple and Jackson be good? Yep. Could they bust? Yep. Fuller is safe. He'll be the 4th NFL player in his immediate family, so he's going to have his head on straight.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    fuller. then in a couple of years we lure his brother here from chicago to team up with him, as ben finishes in his golden years.:hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Here are 1st round CBs drafted from 2008 to 2013 who have not really excelled:

Leodis Mckelvin
    Mike Jenkins
    Antoine Cason
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Kareem Jackson
    Kyle Wilson
    Prince Amukamara
    Jimmy Smith
    Morris Claiborne
    Stephon Gilmore
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Dee Milliner
    DJ Hayden
    Desmond Trufant
    Xavier Rhodes

Now I'm not saying these guys are busts. Bit none of them have more than 1 pro bowl and none have averaged more than 2 ints per season.

I only included players who have been in the league for atleast 3 years. You could easily say Gilbert & Denard do not look good although it's still a little early.

So what are we looking for in a CB @ 25? Would we be happy with the type of play of anyone above? Would you trade for anyone above for the #25?

I think there's a reason we rarely draft a CB in round 1. Seems like there is a much lower percentage of success in taking a CB in round 1 versus other positions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Awesome awesome post, NB. I'm not overly thrilled with any of the CB's that are likely to be available to us, I'm also not overly negative on them either, just meh more or less. Kind of like your list above.

I'm hoping there are options at other positions with better grades when we pick.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'll give you a list and we can choose where we need help.

dupree
    jones
    moats
    harrison?? not decided yet. 38 years old.
    chickillo

gay
    cockrell
    golson
    frey
    grant
    golden
    mitchell
    thomas

tuitt
    heyward
    walton
    lyons
    mccullers
    hooks
    :shrug::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Well we need 1 S and 1 CB. I don't think that's disputable. And I think both picks have to be relatively early. I may even think we need a second CB. I think we should take a CB likely in the 1st. At worst in the 3rd. I think the second round looks golden to take a S.

DT, or NT if you will, will be highly debated. I think Big Dan is a competent run stuffer. So I am personally opposed to taking a DT early if he will routinely play leas than 50% of snaps. When we go to nickel, I just don't see Heyward and Tuitt coming off the field. I think we should draft a DT/DE type as depth, but later in the draft.

I think we definitely need an OLB. I would say either in round 3 or 4, unless someone incredible fell to us in round 1.

I do think we need a WR for a couple of reasons. It's a possibility that Martavis Bryant never plays another snap in a Steelers uniform. If he can't get his act together and goes down the same road as Josh Gordon, it's over. Depending on AB's demands, we may struggle to lock him up financially. We will see. Wheaton is ok but not a true #2. I am optimistic with Coates but we don't really know what we have yet. If Treadwell falls, I wouldn't oppose moving up a few spots to get him. This is unlikely but not crazy. I would say possibly looking at the 3rd round to take a guy. We should be taking one no later than the 6th.

I also think we need a RB at some point. As we saw, not much behind Bell and D Will.

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Excellent post. Really enjoyed it. We need a true # 1 cornerback. I dont know how Colbert has it planned but he has to find that # 1 guy. Whatever he does for that position, I will support it and hope for the best. I'll admit there are a couple of guys in the second round who are intriguing. So I could see the thinking in trading down but Colbert needs to get it right this time; whatever he does.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm thinking OLB in the 3rd or 4th too. Depending on if there's safety prospect we cant afford to pass on.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree, no way should they move up for a player like Treadwell they can't afford to give up picks too many needs on defense. Treadwell will probably slide a bit because of his slow 40 time 4.6.

18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    As far as moving up, I don't want to either. But I think we may get additional help with someone jumping up and going after the third QB in Lynch; thus pushing yet another good player down to us.

19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I wouldn't move up too much. I was just thinking like 3 or 4 picks. Something a 6th round pick could get us. Treadwell is Alshon Jeffrey to me. He's slow, but he's big, powerful and knows how to go up and get the ball. Being undervalued IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    SC, are you thinking a 6th can get us 3-4 spots in the 1st, or are you talking about Treadwell falling to the 2nd? To go up from 25 to 21 or 22 would probably cost at least our 4th.

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember a trade from last year where some team threw in a 5th round pick to move up 2 spots in the 1st round. I knew we didn't have a 5th, so might as well try for the 6th instead of a 4th :thumbs_up:.

But I wouldn't trade a 4th to move up to get treadwell unless the other team threw a 6th back to us.

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That's what Alshon Jeffery and Kelvin Benjamin run, and those guys have been pretty good so far. Treadwell looks faster than Benjamin on tape too. I'd probably rather take defense, but Treadwell would be very difficult to pass up.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I recall the Browns moving up 1 spot with an early 5th a couple of years ago ( to get Gilbert). i don't recall any 2 spot moves for a 5th. Hey... it would be great to be able to move up that cheaply, but given the needs on out defense, and our ability to hit on WRs later in the draft, Treadwell wouldn't be my trade up target.

By the way, we don't have a trade able 6th either. Comp picks aren't trade able until next year.

24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah..no need to move up. Colbert has a knack for finding late round WR's. If we take one late, trust Colbert on that. But we need to focus on also hitting on that olb/DT that we desperately need.

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    You are right. I thought we had 2 6s, but it's 2 7s we have. The deal I was thinking about was in 2009 when the Browns dropped from 17 to 19 and then subsequently 19 to 21, and all they did was pick up extra 6th round picks each time. Then again, that was the Browns.