1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2: who still interests you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Mar 10, 2017.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Honestly are we waving the white flag? Pats are a well oiled machine and their train is rolling. We can't beat em. Maybe Steelers are planning for future without Brady. I'm serious lol

Ben retires this season after we lose again, bank it.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Guys. Just relax. We have lost exactly one starter. Timmons. One. Williams will be fine for a 2 down ILB. When we go nick and dime he will come off the field.

Now, do we have areas we can improve? Yes. Have we added anyone? Yes. A healthy Green and a motivated Bryant. Golson also might help. We are going to add 8 draft picks and probably 5-6 depth free agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    ok,meanwhile the patriots (who completely embarrassed us) have improved there team by ALOT... and we have done nothing. The road to sb goes thru New England.... they are champs and didn't need to make any moves but they make the most and that's why they are who they are... we need a lot of improvements and we don't do jack ****

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Also, the majority of big free agent signings don't work out. They always look great on paper at the time of signing, but when you look back they're usually bad deals for the new team.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Patriots have 63,000 in cap space.
    Steelers have about 20,000.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Pats have lost guys as well as signed them.

Completely wrong to say they didn't need to make any moves - they had numerous contracts up to deal with.

7. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    You're gonna say their team isn't even better than last years? Yeah they lost Logan Ryan, and replaced him with gillmore. Yeah they lost Michael Floyd, and now replaced him with brandin cooks. I get they had more cap space, but 20 million is more than enough to fill at least one or two holes. We need an edge rusher, a MLB, at least 2 corners, a backup rb, and another wr.... and our biggest move is resigning Landry jones. If you don't think that's idiotic then I dunno, I promise you we will not draft 7 NFL ready starters

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have 12 mil in cap space not 20. we have tuitt to extend and AV to sign. next year we have shazier and bryant. we still have bell to sign past his franchise tag. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers name was in the mix for Gilmore, Dre, Logan and other top FA's but every team they were up against had a ton more cap space. Titans had about 75, NE as I mentioned started with about 63, couple teams had damn near 100.Steelers were out of the running before bidding began.

You cant out bid someone who has more money than you and is willing to overpay for a FA.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually the biggest move was locking up Brown for five years and getting Bell tagged for the year and working towards a long term deal. Beyond that it was always going to be a wait and see game. Lots of teams throw money out there, the Steelers show off the hardware and family type aspect because it works for them and doesn't make them go broke in the process

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, I didn't say that - as I'll know if a teams better when it plays next season.

You said the pats didn't have to sign anyone. That's clearly wrong, as they were due to lose a number of starters.

It's disappointing that we didn't come away with a top signing, but Blast is right - other teams can splash silly money, at which point the Steelers rightly backed off.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And the patriots being greedy are negotiating with the browns for Garoppolo and are asking for two 1st round picks, apparently the browns are willing to give up their 1st round pick at 12 but only want to give up a 2 pick along with their 1 pick to get JG, I imagine in the end they will give up a 1 and two 2s, seems a lot for a QB with only 3 starts but it looks like billy B will be loaded with high draft picks in this draft....

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Interesting side point I was reading an article on Torrey Smith and his miserable time in SF and they were talking about options for free agents. The first and most popular is chasing the money but the downside is that while you get paid a huge amount of cash the teams that have that money usually have it because they aren't very good and so you have to play on a team that is bad and potentially be cut two years into your mega deal. The second option is to look for a contender and take less money in which case you have everything to potentially gain but less financial security then say a mega money deal. So at well over 100 million in available cash space the Browns can outbid anyone out there but at the end of the day you are still playing for the Browns. I wonder if Joe Thomas' millions provide solace for spending his entire career on the worst franchise in two decades?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    and Jeanine hasn't proven ****...but Cleveland is Cleveland after all. They would be better off drafting Watson or Trubiski at 12 and save some picks....but they won't they will just keep handing NE SBs like everyone else...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Cooper from AZ is visiting the bears. He is probably the best corner left.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, this is pathetic even for you. ;)

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. I'd take Deshaun Watson over Garappalo for a franchise that's building for future years. He may not be as ready for Day 1 2017, but neither are the Browns.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly....cmon man the guy has proved himself 2 years in a row against the best team and D in all of college football...he put up 40 both games and proved he's a gamer and a tough SOB. I would take him in a heartbeat if he ever fell to 30 or close enough to realistically move up...

20. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    I didn't say the pats didn't need to resign their own guys, I said they didn't need to make moves like the Steelers need to, pats have no glaring holes to fill like the Steelers do... they just won another sb with a bunch of guys no one has ever heard of.... so not hey didn't exactly need to sign free agents , but they did. They are even better now. Yeah our philosophy is always build thru the draft which is great and yes we are good every year mostly... but never better than the pats. I agree with or philosophy, unless you have more than 1 or 2 huge needs... which we have several.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Cooper signs with the Bears

Hopefully Nickel Roby-Coleman is our next targe

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

We shall soon see. Hopefully we can acquire him. If not, so be it.

The upcoming draft has defensive back talent in spades anyway.

24. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Guess he was too expensive for us also.... can't afford the 2 million a year

25. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    love to sign Gerald Hodges,think he would be great replacement for Timmons.... and please sign a corner, any corner