1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2: who still interests you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Who is still out there that you'd like to see in black and gold?

For me it's Dontari Poe and Hightower

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was hoping for an OLB. Connor Barwin maybe, but he is a bit older than KC likes to target. His time could be split with JH92 and you would have to couple that acquisition with a high draft pick. TJ Watt or Carl Lawson at 1:30 would be ideal imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Agreed, I think Barwin could be had on the cheap and by all accounts he's a good dude who flourished while he was in a 3-4.

I'm with you on OLB in round 1 too. Watt has been my guy from the start and the combine didn't do anything to dissuade me.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Dont'e Hightower and Poe, as mentioned above, but way out of our price range. Amukamara, Zach Brown, Clairborne, Carr, Carroll, Munnerly. Lots of decent cornerbacks out there still.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm surprised to see Martellus Bennett still out there. Not to say we should go for him, but just surprised to see him not snapped up day 1.

6. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Ravens released Ledarius Webb, maybe worth a shot?

7. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    #1 choice is making a big RFA offersheet to Malcolm Butler. 5 years / 55 million. That would pair a prime aged, proven shutdown corner with our 1st round, high potential playmaking corner... for the next 5 years. Totally worth the 30th pick in this draft. Given that this is highly unlikely to happen.... my target list is:

1. Morris Claiborne CB
    2. Alex Okafor EDGE
    3. Connor Barwin EDGE
    4. Marcus Cooper CB
    5. Nickel Roby-Coleman CB
    6. Prince Amukamara CB
    7. Cordarelle Patterson WR/KR
    8. Kelvin Beachum OL
    9. Rex Burkhead RB
    10. Brian Schwenke OL
    11. Deangelo Williams RB
    12. Kendall Wright WR
    13. Lawrence Guy DL
    14. Alterraun Verner CB
    15. Captain Munnerlyn CB
    16. Manti T'eo LB
    17. Josh Robinson CB
    18. Tyson Jackson DL
    19. Davon House CB
    20. Jason Jones EDGE

8. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    Cooper would be a nice pickup and upgrade over cockrell which makes cockrell a 3rd CB which he is fine at. It will be interesting to see what happens with Timmons. Could determine which type of LB the steelers draft in round one. Vince Williams is fine for a couple yrs but need a long term answer.

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Amukamara is out. Signed with the Bears.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    Patrick Robinson released. There are several cheap corners the steelers will probably try to sign. Robinson, Webb, Flowers.

11. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    malcolm butler is overrated, he gets a TON of safety help and is another product of bills genius system.... we couldn't afford to pay Logan Ryan and ppl on here talking about getting Poe and Hightower?!?!? Lol....at this point I'd take anyone... ANYONE!!! I don't want to watch William gay anymore ..... I'd say verner, flowers or munnerlyn because they're all better than cockrell and gay... draft an edge rusher in rd 1 then another cb like Cameron Sutton in rd 2. We finally had cap room and our biggest move is resigning Landry jones ... sickening

12. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    Agree Gay is nothing more than a 4th CB now. Flowers is probably the best CB for the steelers but he has concussion issues. Verner would be the safest pickup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't buy that "all NE players not named Brady are overrated bc Bellichick's system is so genius"... bill looks at certain talents that fit his scheme, then goes after guys that fit the mold.

Butler is a very good corner. He's not in the elite tier IMO, but he certainly belongs in the next tier afterwards. It's not like he had one fluke year. Whether or not he's worth 11mil a year and the 30th overall pick is another story, but he's not some overrated scrub that's going to cash in because he played for Bill Belichick.

14. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    never said he was trash... he is decent.... but if everyone thinks he's worth 11 million a year and first rd pick then that makes him overrated.... if it wasn't for his int against the Seahawks he would rarely be mentioned because he's not elite.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    FA's are overpaid on a whole. Colbert knows this and won't play that game. Buyer beware is his philosophy and I agree with it.

Everyone is caught up with the win now mentality with Ben being so close to the end but the players who'd really make a difference were never in play for us.

They'll stay the course and bring in second tier FA's and turn to the draft.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    At least we're trying with the big name guys. Usually we never even make the calls, but we're actively trying to find a bigger name FA that might work for the money we're comfortable paying.

17. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    i don't think we are honestly trying to get the big name guys...we never had those intentions... honestly I think Colbert talks to them to create more buzz and jack their price up even more from our competitors... which is smart, but it's still a tease to us

18. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I'm SO disappointed in this organization right now. I honestly believe this team is right on the edge of being a SB champion team, but the D needs to be improved to do that. Plugging drafted players into the backfield and edge rusher isn't going to cut it.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would not mind bringing in Marcus Cooper.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They will probably sign a mid tier CB, not interested in Poe he wouldn't play that many snaps and Hightower never put up the big sack numbers for a big payday.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Some thoughts on these guys

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Beachum signed with the Jets :shrug:

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Munnerlyn signed with the Panthers...

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Be prepared for a team to tie us in trophies next year

25. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Drafting those needed pieces may work but how long will it take? Will Ben still be here when and if it works? The window is closing faster than we may know. They need to go out and plug a few of the holes with free agents. I know it's not the Steelers way but I don't think we have time for the Steelers way.