1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

David DeCastro

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Apr 26, 2012.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am looking at this pick and getting more and more excited as I look at the options available still on the draft boards. The way some of these teams make boneheaded moves, we could be looking at a 1st round talent in the 2nd round. DeCastro excites me for our future, but I see other guys out there who could also fall:

Cordy Glenn
    J. Martin
    Silatolu
    Osemele
    Massie
    B. Brooks

These are all Olineman which is pretty incredible if we could grab another starting G out of this draft. Our line would be much much improved.

Gilbert/????/Pouncey/DeCastro/Colon

The other factor that isn't even being looked or talked about is how much better any LG will be if you assume that DeCastro won't need help with his man. You basically can always provide help with Pouncey to the LG. All that LG has to do is turn his man toward Pouncey and you instantly get better blocking.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I started a thread about the whole "would they have took decastro if ba was still there?" thing. Really I think if BA was still there we probably would have took a wr in the 1st. But then in the 2nd to change it up we would have probably taken cordy glenn but then converted him to wr. Then in the 3rd we would have drafted Casey Hampton's replacement and put him in at wr til Hampton decides to hang it up. Then we would take our 4 compensatory picks to address our actual need for 4 more wide outs. I KEEED!!!! I KEEEED!!!! As Triumph the insult comic dog would say.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe semantics here, but you have apparently misinterpreted my comment about who Bruce Arians may have wanted to draft. I did not say nor infer that an OC had the authority to decide who was actually picked - that would be a completely foolish and uninformed assertion that I don't believe anyone on this board would make. My point was that an OC should have some input into a decision that could have an impact on that decision - not that the OC owned that decision or could override a decision by the GM or HC. And yes, you are right, it is all hypothetical and purely meant to paint BA in a bad light. Fair? I don't really care. I'm excited to see what our offense looks like under Todd Haley - heck I'm excited we have the prospect of not having to see the same old tired and ineffective crappy situational play-calling from BA. I'm excited that we might not have to see 5 wide and empty backfield on 3rd and 2. I'm excited that we might not have to see the same old tired handoff to Rahtard with no real lead blocker dance around and then run up the RG's backside 4 times in a row. I'm excited that we might not have to see a doomed delayed draw to mini-memo up the middle on 3rd and 12 again. I'm excited that we have a coach who will hold the QB accountable for not getting rid of the ball on a quick outlet when he is pressured and taking sacks or throwing bombs into double and triple coverage. I'm excited for the prospect that we can score more TD's in the RZ and have a play caller who can recognize what the defense is giving and then exploit that. I'm excited that we have someone who I hope is a legit OC. And again I'm speculating because we really don't know what Haley and the O will roll out this season, but there is reason to be hopeful. And I'll continue to take jabs at BA - because I can, but moreso because the leadership that allowed him to remain here and run a grossly underachieving offense is still here. And as far as I'm concerned, the root cause may still not be fixed. BA and his ineffectiveness is gone; however, the question still remains on whether or not he was just a symptom of a larger problem - which is an ineffective HC who cannot hold his staff accountable. Rant over. I think we can all agree that David DeCastro is a stud and is the steal of the first round and the absolute perfect pick for our Pittsburgh Steelers. Here's to seeing DeCastro, Pouncey, and Gilbert anchoring our OL for years to come. And here's to getting back having a stout OL which is where it all starts and ends for an effective offense. :herewego:

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I totally agree with you Vegas. I don't mean to open a can of worms and I'm sure you don't either. But I also wonder if Mike Tomlin holds guys accountable for stupidity. Sometimes I really don't think he does and then he will talk in platitudes about the "standard" and how we're "all men". So maybe Haley will be the "bad cop" and Tomlin the "good cop". Which seems to be the role that each would be happy with.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    And I completely respect Tucker's opinions as I listen to him every morning. Maybe Zeitler will be a pro bowl player. I am a big Badgers fan and have watched every game Zeitler has played in. I see a very good Guard, but I didn't even think he was as good as his teammate Konz and in doing a comparison I would have had Urbik as a higher rated prospect.

Because Z ended up with the Bengals, I am hoping I am right and that he turns out just to be a good Guard, not a great one.

6. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was one of those pulling for Glenn with our pick so obviously getting DeCastro has fulfilled my wishes 100 fold. Sure it would be nice to have Hightower but I have faith in Timmons, Sly, and Ivy (not Foote though) to hold it together. There was no way our OL had the upside of Timmons/Sly (hopefully Sly actually turns out to have skills). We've already seen how good or bad our OL would be. This was the right pick.

I wouldn't mind another OL in the 2nd but looking at the best player available at that stage, I think we need to go big WR for some help in the red zone and because I don't think we are going to pay Wallace what he wants long term. Someone like Alshon Jeffery. The second round is full of DT, DE, and CB which I think are lower priority for us so I agree OL or personally, big WR in the 2nd.

7. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So, did anyone ever hear why DeCastro wasn't at that draft? I mean, certainly many choose not to make the trip, but they didn't even show him at his location like most of the others who weren't actually at Radio City. In fact, it seemed as though after the pick and a small video segment, it was all just sort of glossed over (no grading from the online polls, etc). Not adding to the conspiracy theories or anything like that, just curious. I mean, when it's "your" pick, it's hard not to be excited and want all the bells & whistles....especially when this guy was NEVER expected to last this long!!

8. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow, this is so true. Just another reason i'm thrilled BA is gone.

Love the #24 pick btw :rawk:

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Good question. I kinda like it though because it is a little under the radar for non-Steelers folks. Let them think that our OL (and OC) is the same old tired junk from the past few seasons and then BAM! Punch em in the mouth!

10. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011

LOL!! :roflmao: Good point - still thought it odd as there was a big opportunity for the talking heads to spew (why he wasn't there, why he lasted so long, etc) and basically nothing - almost quiet-like. ;-)

11. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Just go to YouTube and look up mike tomlin there's a couple videos of him mic'd up and what not.
    Then you'll see that he's a good "cop" bad "cop" all by himself he's a buddy and a boss, and absolutly holds people accountable for stupidity. The misconceptions around here about tomlin are insane, he's perfect for us he's a hard nosed old fashioned coach who isn't terrible behind a microphone. He definitely doesn't need Haley or anyone else to help him control the team.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    yeah just because his chin isn't out and the players don't need a towel afterwards desnt mean that he isn't chewing guys out.

13. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Still cannot believe they got Double D!! Sooooo happy. Thank you seahawks, bengals, anyone else who wiffed on this!

14. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You can put me down as someone who would STILL like to get Glenn. I would guess it depends on how far he falls, but I would still love to see us move up and get him. I can only dream about finally having an OLINE.

Gilbert/Glenn/Pouncey/DeCastro/Colon

That right there is a line you can run behind for sure.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I would love to get glenn. If I'm the steelers I'm on the phone right now talking to the rams about their 2nd round pick for wallace. I know losing allace hurts the passing game but I think the ability to dominate in the running game evens things out. Big ben is great at play action

16. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Of course I'd take Glenn if he's there, which afte last night my anything is possible feeling has been renewed
    But i really like the DT from Alabama too, I'm not sure which round he's projected in but think he'd be a great fit for the burgh.

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    He is projected to go in the third so he should be there. i have a really good feeling about the rest of the draft. it is very deep this year in all the positions we need. important still for taking a late round flyer on burfict especially in the 7th if he is still there.

18. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Chapman, I want him too.

19. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yes...especially with the players who were on the board at that pick. Had there been no one else worth it there...then I think most would accept it.

20. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    This is a great pick! I was hoping that we would go oline in the first. Never thought he would be there. With a healthy Pouncey our oline greatly improved. Has anyone heard anything about Pouncey health wise recently?

21. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Guy on the radio out here in San Diego talking about Decastro. Thinks he'll be solid for 15 years...... ;)

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not saying another G wouldn't be good, in fact it would sort of be like 07 when we went LB back to back with Timmons and Woodley. But, given this team has needs on both sides of the ball, I expect them to pick D in the second round. Either a CB or NT would be great! Any thoughts who that might be?

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    we need another Haley GIF saying how happy he is that we got Decastro...where's TTF? lol

24. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Now if we could get a time machine and grab Pouncey II as well.

Gilbert-Pouncey2-Pouncey-Decastro-Colon

:eek!:

25. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm still waiting to wake up. I never believed DeCastro would drop that much. Now to add Josh Chapman and Brandon Brooks...