1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

David DeCastro

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So he's another Kemo (as in mean streak) but has a brain. :thumbs_up:

I heard somebody say on the panel that Decastro is a Steeler ( the way he plays) when they announced his name. Hope Pouncey can stay healthy.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

love this pick. he's a real bright kid. majored in management and engineering for Stanford. we got to pick up his buddy Jonathan Martin (T) from Stanford. We need guys who play smart.

3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I really like this pick! Seriously excited about this season!

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Homerun!
    Best lineman in the draft. He plays tenaciously, is smart, you cant get around him, and he can move and protect at the same time. With Ben, that is huge! This kid protected Luck while he scrambled to the side extending the play for those winning TDs. Sound familiar???

In addition, he played in a pro system @ Sanford with an excellent coaching program. We just drafted the best pass protector in college ball.

5. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Just what was needed a big, nasty, technician who can do it all at Guard. We are getting the trenches sorted out, if we can get an NT later and maybe another OL we may well be set for years on both lines. Great pick!

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Love it.

Just got up this morning to see the headline - given the pre-draft reports on Decastro, I was actually shocked we managed to get him.

V. excited.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers got a whole lot better tonight. This will improve
    our run/pass ratio. this is an excellent pick. I could not beleive he fell to us.
    Like Colbert said, he was one of a few players, the Steelers
    would have moved up to draft if they had to. They addressed a major need tonight.

8. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    O.K. I didn't even think that DeCastro would be AVAILABLE at 24 - so I'm glad the Steelers took him. It must have been a tough decision between Hightower and him. The Steelers reputation and preference for good linebackers would have led me to believe that they would TAKE the LB over the OG.

I had said somewhere that it was time for the Steelers FO to stop pretending that everything was fine on the O-line and get some young studs to surround Pouncey and protect Ben. They're on the right track with this pick. I agree with some of the other posts on here that depending on who is available, maybe you take another OG in the 2nd round to fill out the middle of the line. What the heck will people be able to complain about if we actually get a stud O-line on this team? Other than toasters, that is.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I know all players are unproven at the moment, but what was Cincinnati doing trading out of the #21 slot? I am a HUGE Wisconsin fan, and I can tell you Zeitler (who the Bengals got at #27) is nowhere near the same calibre as Decastro. Oh well, our gain.

What a great, exciting and entertaining Round 1!

11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Just been watching the analysis on NFL.com. Predictably, the first day "winners" are simply the teams who have traded for two picks in the first round. A lot of depth and insight, there, chaps.

Anyways, who cares. I'm stoked for us getting Decastro, and I'm intrigued as to what we do in the 2nd round.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well it seems as though coach haley is making an impact on decisions already.

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Erm, how?

I'm not saying he isn't - but for a team with such a weak o-line to have the best G in the draft drop into their laps and not pick him would be pretty bizarre.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would have been so pissed if we ended up with Glenn in the first round. He just isn't a 1st round talent. More like 3rd and I never understood why people were pimping him so hard in the 1st. I could care less what Mayock says. We got the guy we needed to make a difference on the OL. Im still in disbelief that he fell that far to us. I know the next jersey that my son will be getting! :)

15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Are you saying that BA would have chosen decastro? Im not real confident saying that. He might have been pushing for WR. The decastro pick tells me we are going to run the ball more effectively in the right scenarios. And we can chalk up a change in O philosophy to Haley. So yeah I think Haley is making an impact on these decisions.

16. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Bruce Arians would have been the only voice in the room pushing for Coby Fleener.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    again, it was offenses turn to get a first and they did, in a big way. now we wait on silatolu to fall into our laps and we draft a FB and bring franco back. :-D :shrug: :cool:

18. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    they drafted pouncey under arians. this was a no-brainer for anyone. It took them 2 seconds to get the pick in. I think tomlin and colbert wanted this guy. to say arians would not have made this pick if unfair. This kid would have been the best lineman in the draft if he was a tackle. Kalil has more questions about him that decastro does. he just playes guard. I would bet he was top 8 on our board

19. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Apparantly Boogeyman Arians would have been allowed toover-rule the whole scouting department, Colbert and Tomlin.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    If some of you want refuse to admit that the O philosophy that is dictated by the OC doesn't have some bearing on draft picks, that is certainly your prerogative. And yes I'm just speculating and taking a jab at BA. Fair or not, its still fun to to do. Especially when the Bruce Arians apologist fan club comes out of the woodwork to defend him. LOL. And I think we all understand who makes the draft picks and personnel decisions. But thanks for educating and setting us straight. :roll: oh and I don't think anyone was saying or implying that an OC makes or overrules a draft decision. The comments were about a coach having an impact on a decision, not owning or making the decision. Way to twist the words to say what you are trying to hear. Try reading and comprehending before throwing a dart.

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Sometimes the team can't win in the draft. If we had picked Hightower, there would have been 1900 posts screaming WE NEED OFFENCE LINE GUYS!

22. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think there have been, saying speciffically that BA wouldn't have picked DeCastro and that he'd have picked someone else, as if he could do so independant of anyone else.

That said, I was just having a little joke at the fact that he's gone, and I'm very glad of that and yet he still seems to have some power over some. Who cares what hypothetically might have happened had he still been here? Personally I think this pick was such a no brainer, even the Browns back office might have thought about it in our situation, before opting for a mid-30's rookie QBor a punter.

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ross Tucker who is a former guard and now a radio guy and analyst is really high on Zeitler.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm kind of disappointed. I was hoping Pitts would draft the 28 yr old QB Weeden :cry: .. Damn those Browns , are they getting drafting pointers from NE?

25. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    His only knock is that he was a Seahawks fan. :lolol: