1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Daron Payne Please

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Tell me why we don’t give up a 3rd or 4th and sign this man to a long term contract? He is exactly what we need. A run stuffer who can play 0-5 technique. You can move Alualu out to End in Tuitt old spot. This just makes to much sense especially with the cap space we now have. If we don’t do this I bet the Browns will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Browns don't have a whole lot of draft picks to be tossing around the next two years.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Rumor the clowns are looking at Suh possibly

If they need to sign a guy to replace Tuitt then what's the use of having developmental players some who have started?

How about we see what we have in camp first.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The issue is not what the team needs to give up pick wise. The current dilemma is the cap space. Our current cap situation should look good at a glance. However, it is much more complicated than that.

For one, Minkah still needs extended. For two, Payne is likely looking to be one of the highest paid Interior Defensive Lineman in all of football (not Aaron Donald money clearly but within the 2nd to 3rd highest pay range; 4th being the most hopeful). Most of all though, assuming the team can get Payne, what does that mean for the likes of Leal and Alualu?!

Me personally speaking, having DaRon Payne + Cameron Heyward would be a tremendous benefit for the run defense; doubly so when working in the 3-4 as Payne is well versed playing as the 0 Tech as well as the 4i tech too. It will also free up the likes of Wormley and Loudermilk a bit when using three down lineman. Truth be told, having Payne would bring the literal pain upon opposing Offensive Lines and doubly so of those in the AFC North.

Question is, can they afford him with Minkah still needing his extension?!

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sign Minkah 1st....Then see what is what.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Heyward is what 32? Alualu is 33 or 34? No other Defensive lineman is proven. Signing Payne pushes Alualu out to End. He can also play NT and spot Payne in rotations,. Leal and Wormley and Loudermilk are backups and they rotate in. We saw what playing backups last year did for the run defense. Wormley is a terrible run defender, he should not be starting. Yeah I know he had six sacks but we were last on run defense. Payne will also benefit Heyward, Mack and Busch. We don[t even know if Alualu is gong to hold up at his age and coming off an injury. This signing would benefit the defense in so many ways and so many players. We definitely have enough money to sign Fitzpatrick and Payne. We also can adjust Watts contract. You don’t replace a blue chip player like Tuitt with developmental players and backups. Heyward can’t play another five years productively if he has to play as many snaps as he did last year, so there will be plenty of snaps to go around for the Loudermilks and Leal’s even if we were fortunate to pickup Payne.

The other element is we are probably in the toughest division with regards to facing the run. We can’t afford not to get this guy. What if Heyward were injured for a significant period of time? Our front seven would be toast. We have one quality guy on the line. Another guy that was quality in Alualu but it is unknown with him coming back from the injury and a bunch of question marks with the exception of Wormley whom is good rotational period but that is his ceiling.

7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Cam is 33, Tyson is 35. Thus furthering the points you're making. Both are definitely at the twilight of their careers. I think Cam has about two good years left in him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So Montravious Adams is not proven?! In addition, Chris Wormley's attributes were run defense but there was literally no NT option for the first half of the 2021 Season for the team. Not only that, relying on the likes of Henry Mondeaux, Daniel Archibong and placing Cameron Hewyard in unwinnable situations via the NT Spot to compensate yield the worst Run Defense the Steelers have ever fielded in its history.

Regarding Alualu, why push him to the outside?! Since arriving in Pittsburgh, he has found much better success as the Nose rather than playing the 4i Tech in the system. This is not accounting for the fact that the team already has in house options; Leal himself. Yes, Leal is not proven and, as I said before, he has plenty of questions himself about his run defense. However, same cannot be said for Loudermilk; a much better option at the 4i Tech than Leal.

Finally and, again, while the Steelers seemingly do have the money, not only is Minkah's contract due for an extension but also Diontae Johnson and never mind Cris Boswell. Boz is easily a top 5 NFL Kicker and his divisional rival in Justin Tucker commands $5 Million a season. Once again, not too bad at a glance. However, this is just Boswell alone....

.... for factoring in Minkahs and Diontae's contract chips away at that $20 Million Dollar figure even more. Add in Kenny's contract that has yet to be signed in addition to the teams propensity of keeping $5 Million under the cap during the season in case of injury to sign players/facilitate trades and this drives that figure of $20 Million down even more than it already would be. Reworking the likes of Watt's contract will only do so much for just these players alone. Adding in Payne is really going to push it.

In short?! Again and, as I said, I would love to have Payne on the team. However, unless the team can not only rework some contracts but get Minkah's extension done ASAP, I do not envision a scenario in which DaRon Payne becomes a Steeler.

• Like Like x 1