1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan mccullers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Mar 15, 2016.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    apparently the jets have signed Steve mcclenden.....
    Unless we draft a dt, it looks like it's mcculler's time to shine

• Like Like x 1
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes...deebo should be in his face everyday. Build and toughen him up. He should be dominating by now ...with his size and now experience

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think they feel Big Dan is the answer. IIRC, he played less and less as the season wore on, thats not a good sign.

I think Andrew Billings just became much more probable if he is sitting there at 25.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Billings is there you have to take him. He is athletic enough to stay on the field ala Poe

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Billings, but I would prefer Rankins. But Rankins has less a chance of being there imo. Guy is a hustler and at that size its hard to find. McCullers can provide the big presence and Rankins would give that athletic presence.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    McCullers was a disappointment last season, he didn't progress at all. Maybe they draft a plug and play rookie DT.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'd love to see big Dan take the reins. He was injured a lot of last season no?

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's too bad. It will be interesting to see how they fill the gap.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This draft is very deep on the interior D line. I'd prefer to have McClendon, but we can find someone.

10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2016-3-15_20-49-49.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Sad to see him go, he became a solid player, just like Beachum a class act and I wish him well also.

Definitely not worth $4M a year for a part time player. The Jets previous NT Harrison played 50%+ of the snaps last year.

At this point with the team playing pretty much a version of the 4 man front (be it a 4-3 or 4-2), I think it would be a waste to use a high pick on a NT. Later on sure why not, but they have more pressing needs to fill first. Plus I'd like to see more of Big Dan anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Dan's problem is they don't see him as a good mover laterally. I don't get it though because in the limited snaps I watched, he looked decent at shedding the cut blocks, keeping his feet clean and at least disrupted the blocking schemes.

He had to have been hurt or they felt he didn't "know" the defense well enough. I think that's the big issue with this coaching staff. They'll play a guy that has more book knowledge (in their minds at least) over a guy that might actually be an improvement on game day.

Not that Dan was an improvement over McClendon, but he definitely was over Thomas!

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah, he certainly deserves it, he wasn't gonna get that money here.

I think with the loss of Mclendon, I think a first round D Tackle is more of a possibility that all the other positions.

15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'd like to know a stat if anybody has it; How often do the Steelers even have an NT on the field? It seems like they're in Nickle, with two DL, at least 65-70% of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the NT is definitely not on the field that much in our defense. I still love having a big run stuffing guy when we are playing straight up 3-4 though. That's why I will forever say that we didn't really realize the value of Casey Hampton at the time. He has since moved way up the list of my favorite Steelers ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mccullers was drafted as a project, well its time to see if the coaching
    staff has made Dan a player. Time to step up BIG DAN. A DL will now be needed
    in the draft if Mcclendon has left for greener pastures. I wanted Nata but
    too expensive.

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have never been a fan of Mclendon's play, he started out more of a DE and was way to light and week for our 3-4 NT. As time went by and our defense started moving more to a 4-3 and he starting putting more weight on he improved but I always felt like we needed more. Last year he showed he took another step but to be honest I am glad we are now going to upgrade here. I have read people are talking Billings and Rankins who both are fine but I like Butler. I watched him at the sr bowl and the strength he show was amazing. With that said this class is deep and I can see a solid 9-10 guys that could fit in with us. Add in these under the radar guys that keep showing up like the one Turtle post Tupou and there is value in the 1st four rounds.

If there is a position we don't address in FA it is this one, with guys in this draft like the 3 above and Reed, Robinson, Clark, Washington, Johnson and Day this class is solid. Add guys like Ioannidis, Hargrave and Stample are wonderful fall back options. So if we don't go DT in round one we are still going to get a very good player.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    McClendon was not a strong NT was more set for DE. The days of a Casey Hampton type are over. McCullers should have the opportunity to see if he can be the answer and draft or grab a FA nose which i'm sure they will do. The secondary is still in my eyes the first priority in the draft.

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I too was thinking that McCullers was going to get his chance to really take over. But we will see. I just don't believe they would take Billings over Jackson. Not as bad as we need a true # 1 cornerback. We'll just have to see.

21. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Well you could argue that the reason the Steelers played less 3-4 is because of the the lack of talent on the nose.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    You could... but it would be a very very poor argument

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I would be pretty upset if we took a nose tackle in the first round. If still prefer a CB or S. I understand the draft may not unfold in a way where the value is there at those positions tho. If we have a shot at Apple or Alexander I'd do it. Idk if there is a true 1st round S that would be there at 25 so I'm hoping one of those CB's is.

We gotta come away with a DT, S and CB in the first four rounds of this draft tho. We almost have to at this point. We don't have any depth on the DL or a starting NT, we don't have any depth at S and Golden (who played fairly well last year) is our current starter, and our CB's have been bad and are really relying on Golson and Cockrell to shoulder the load this year and we have almost nothing behind them at all in terms of quality depth. We shored up the O in FA, now it's time to get some guys who can play defense in April

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Fine with me. As much as we all want DB in the draft, DL is the other big area of need and there are several kids I like there. Just load up on Defense in, at least, the first three rounds.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Very nice post I feel this way as well................:drinks: