1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dallas game could still be meaningful

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fanfav, Dec 15, 2012.

1. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If we beat Dallas, both Pitts & Cinci's record would be 8-6. At this point, Pitts Division record is still 2-2, while Cinci's is still 1-3. Now, assuming we beat Cinci, our record would be 9-6 & Cinci's would drop to 8-7. Now heres where the Dallas win comes in handy ..Were now 9-6 & Cinci is 8-7 -While our Division record goes up to 3-2 & Cinci's drops to 1-4. Now, assuming we choke against Clev and Cinci wins against Baltimore. This would place us both at 9-7, while our Div Record would drop to 3-3 and Cinci's would increase to 2-4, therefore- we would win the Tiebreak based on a better Division record. Am I wrong here ?

The reason I say this is because on The Nightly Sports Call (after Cinci beat Philly) Bob Pompeani emphaticly said that the Dallas game was now meaningless & that we MUST win both game at home against Cinci & Clev. I'm terrible at this playoff scenero stuff so I could be wrong here, but if I'm not, then we have more incentive to beat Dallas. Any help here ? Am I wrong ?

2. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Um, yeah, wrong. The first tie break is head-to-head. That's why we need to beat Cincinnati. Don't get me wrong, I think the Dallas game is somewhat meaningful, but more from a momentum standpoint. We can lose this game and still make the 6th seed by beating Bungles and Clowns. Losing to Dallas drops us 1-game back of Cincinnati, but we get that back by beating them and then gain the tie-break.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Dallas game is meaningful only if you think the steelers can win the division if u r playing for the 6th seed it actually doesn't mean much

4. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ok, I think you've misunderstood me here. I said "Assuming we beat Cinci" My point is simple, If we beat Dallas, then beat Cinci (Cinci a must) & then lose to Clev -WERE IN NO MATTER WHAT WE DO (AGAINST CLEV) because like you said, first tiebreak is head to head, so we'd be 2-0 against Cinci & now that our records would be tied at 9-7(assuming Cinci beats Ravens) it goes to second Tiebreak which is based on most Division wins which would be us. Now if we lose to Dallas, then we must win BOTH games against Cinci and Clev.

Again, am I wrong ?

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't think he misunderstood you as you never mentioned head to head in your original post. It's simple all we need to do is Beat Cincy and either Dallas or the Browns and were in. Doesn't matter what Cincy does.

6. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ok, I just realized that if we beat both Dallas & Cinci, then lose to Clev, and assume Cinci beats Ravens, we'd both be 9-7 and wouldn't need Division Tiebreak because we'd own the head to head 2-0. Nevertheless, A Dallas win would come in handy in case we lose to Cleveland and Cinci beats Ravens because we'd own the head to head. So one could argue that Dallas isn't just a mometum game

In conclusion, wouldnt a Dallas and Cinci win save us in case we lose at Clev ?

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Of course it would, but it's not a must win. If we beat Dallas and Cincy it does give us the option to rest some players for the Browns game. Unless of course the Ravens loose out and we could have a shot at the division.

8. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Sorry Steelerglen because I was creating a new message (above message) before I got to read yours. Anyways, yours summed things up PERFECTLY. I gues that I was only trying to find a way KDKAs Bob P was a bit wrong is stating that we MUST BEAT BOTH CINCI-a must AND CLEV and that the Dallas game is completely meaningless. I mean a Dallas win would not only come in handy for momemtum purposes, but it would help in case we lost to Clev

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bob P is wrong. The Dallas game is not a must win, but far from meaningless for the reasons I stated above.

10. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So beat Dallas and Cinci, then we can rest players (as steelerglen stated) against Clev. So Bob P was not only incorrect about Dallas being meaningless, but he was also incorrect that we'd have to beat both Cinci & Clev ...because a Dallas + Cinci win makes the Clev game the one that would be essentially meaningless. Thanks Steelerglen

11. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

not true...if we win the next 2 we clinch a spot and thus would be able to rest some people week 17... unless we are playing for the division

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thats the biggy. the heck with this 6 seed stuff. we want the division. balt. is primed to lose it. we need to win out. SD was a big step we blew.:cool:

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we need to win 2 between the 3 games left , if one is with cincy we are in potherwise we need cincy lose vs baltimore , so dallas is meaningfull

14. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I saw it posted once here and re-posted it once (though didn't verify). Certainly a Dallas win would help if we beat Cincy because of the likely scenario of being able to rest starters in week 17 against the Browns. HOWEVER, I think there's still one doomsday scenario where we go 9-7 after a week 17 loss to the Browns where IF the Jets win out and end 9-7 (maybe not that likely, although their last 3 games are against losing teams), and IF the Colts lose out (also maybe not that likely though 2 of their games are against Houston), we would lose out because in the 3-way tie, our win against the Jets is meaningless and the Jets would actually take the #5 seed.

Lotta 'ifs' in that scenario, but just in case....I'll be rooting for the Titans against the Jets come Monday night....

15. Dwinsgames

Dwinsgames Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    yes if there is a 3 way tie record wise for the 6th seed between Steelers , Bengals and Jets ... the Jets are in based on conference record because in a 3 way tie Head to Head is not used as the tie breakers

16. takenoprisoners1

Nov 7, 2011
    No, I think that's Steelers Colts and Jets only (3 teams from different divisions). In a 3-way tie involving 2 teams from the SAME division, the division tiebreakers first apply to the teams within the same division. So, in the scenario I described above, it would really be a 4-way tie with the Bengals included, but the Steelers take the Bengals in the division tiebreaker first before the tiebreaker heads outside the division. Anyway, clear as mud?

17. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Oh man !!! Just when I was feeling good about all this two out of three (with Cinci being the must win) and you come out of nowhere with a feasable (yet seemingly unlikey) doomsday scenerio. Its still a scary thought though.

18. Dwinsgames

Nov 28, 2012
    I do not think so ...

I do not believe you can rule out 1 team in a 3 way tie before all 3 teams are equally subjected ....

the Jets win a 3 way tie as I understand the rule , conference record is the first application of the rule and if they win out they have the superior conference record , end of discussion for the Steelers and Bengals at that point

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as i said , lets win out and win the division. we can do this.:cool:

20. takenoprisoners1

Nov 7, 2011
    Of course, there's still the 8-8 playoff scenario where the one win is against the Bengals which requires the Jets to lose once, none of the 5-8 teams win out, AND the hardest part is the Bengals lose to the Ravens in week 17. What makes that problematic is the Ravens would have already clinched the division and, unless they are fighting for a first-round bye (unlikely unless they beat both the Broncos AND Giants), they will tank that final game. Frankly, I'm not emphasizing that scenario and will be rooting for the brass ring, which starts tomorrow with a Ravens loss to the Broncos....

GO STEELERS!

21. takenoprisoners1

Nov 7, 2011
    Here is from the nfl.com tiebreaking procedures blurb:

[h=2]Three or More Clubs[/h](Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If it's a three way tie w/ NYJ, PIT and CIN, you have to settle the division first. In other words this is not a 3-way Conference tie. You have to determine who is AFCN team, and if PIT beats CIN, it would be them based on head to head sweep. The you would consider the 2-way conf tie between NYJ and PIT which PIT wins on Head to Head.

The 3way conference tie breakers would only apply if you have 3 teams from 3 different divisions, like NYJ, INDY and PIT all at 9-7.
    Conference tie breakers don't supercede Division ones, which is why you have to determine the division order first.

23. Dwinsgames

Nov 28, 2012

looks like i had it wrong .........

so I will man up

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Its pretty simple.....Win the next 3 games get the 6th seed....To quote Al...."Just win baby".

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, take care of our own business and won't need any tie breaker bs.