1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Burnett, sign Weddle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 24, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Would love to make a run at Adrian Amos, he'll be cheaper than Collins. Penn State connection with Bradley too. Noticed Amos late in the draft evaluation process when he came out, but I have followed what he has done in Chicago.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Very first sentence of your previous post, putting words in my mouth, I never said I wanted a disgruntled player in the locker room. If thats not meant to provoke, what is it? I don't appreciate people misrepresenting my position. He shouldn't be disgruntled at all, he's been paid handsomely and had a year left on his contract. Hawks made him the highest paid safety at the time but I guess for Thomas its a what have you done for me lately.

Career ending injuries are rare, Thomas didn't suffer one, he had a season ending injury, didn't effect his pay, still got paid. This season he'll sign a new deal, probably a pretty good one. I don't see the problem. I don't think Seattle will tag him, they want to go with youth, probably take the comp pick for him.

As for Woodson, position change was absolutely part of it, they wanted him to play safety. He left and he went on to play CB for 2 or 3 more seasons. He was right, Steelers were wrong. Should have paid him to play CB.

Thanks. Article speculates the Mack trade may have swayed them to ask for more. I don't blame them, he's worth it.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Weddle is like 34, not interested in him at all.

4. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Lighten up dude. I posed it as a question and thats just what it was...a question. No one was putting words in your mouth. It was a question posed to you to find out exactly what your mindset was...and moreso from a Seahawk management perspective then even a personal perspective. Theres a big difference between a question posed and saying you actually said something.

His being disgruntled had to do with his uncertainty of future earnings should he suffer a career ending injury in this his final year there since they hadnt extended him. Most times teams tend to do that in the year prior to the last year of their contract not at the end of it. Seattle apparently wasnt willing to pay him what he was looking for, and were stringing him along telling him they were willing to trade him when they really weren't. Hindsight being 20/20 now they should have traded him.

I dont understand why people have a such a problem with these players trying to get as much as possible during their career. Typically these guys dont have long careers and these organizations use these guys up and spit them out. Its really irrelevant how much they made prior. It should only matter if he wasnt worth the money he was paid prior. Are you saying that he wasn't?? If Tuitt was to pull something like this once he is in his last year at his current rate of play, im going to have a real issue, but Thomas hasnt been Tuitt. Hes been every bit worth the money they paid him and still top 5 safety.

Thomas has a right to maximize his potential earnings just like anybody else. I consider missing the camp irrelevant. During the season though he didnt handle the situation well sitting out of practices and then flipping the bird after his injury, but it should be understandable why he was angry. Im saying thats atypical of his behavior.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just wanted to address this part because we both said our peace about the rest and won't see eye to eye on it.

Not to sound callous but as a fan, I really don't care what millionaires are trying to maximize. I care about the team succeeding not the players finances. Thomas is set for life, never has to work a day again if he stopped playing football tomorrow. If I was a Seahawk fan, I'd be pissed at him for holding out in camp, missing practice and making waves with a year left on his contract. Why? because its behavior thats detrimental to the team. Thats where my loyalties lie. I don't have any patience for players who hold out.

Exceptions to every rule but I'm pretty much going to side with the team all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Blast I would also add, and this goes to several of the previous comments made during the discussion that the difference between what Mack and Donald did and what Thomas and Bell are doing is that the former made their statement and let their agents handle the business and stayed out of the media, the latter made themselves into media distractions. If Bell had just let his agent handle it and remained silent and away from the spotlight, public opinion would be with him.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    To me, Thomas would be a problem guy. It is ok for me to have a different opinion than you do. It is ok for you to have a different opinion than I do. I don't mind. Where this discussion becomes an argument is when you basically demand others think the way you do. It would continue to be an engaging discussion if you didn't appear so insistent that your opinion is the only that holds value. Just so happens that in my opinion Thomas would not be a good pick up for the Steelers. You will not change my opinion because I happen to place an extremely high value on my opinion...just ask me!