1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Burnett, sign Weddle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So you want a disgruntled player in your locker room? I thought that was what you didnt want?? He's worth a first rd pick according to you (Seattle was asking for a second actually...i dont know why you brought up first rd??), been everything you asked for on and off the field, but you wont pay him like one nor will you trade him to a team that will?? According to many reports Dallas was willing to give up the second rd pick Seattle was asking for. SEATTLE STILL REFUSED. Yeah, i guess i totally dont understand Thomas attitude:shrug:. If they're concerned about his injury history, as you seem to imply, trade him!!

Did you feel the same way about Woodson?? You never did answer that. Was Woodson being unreasonable?? Almost exact same scenario.

Like i said business is business, but these players cant afford to operate from a position of fandom. There is a life they have to live beyond football and their objective is to secure as much of their future as possible since they dont have the benefit of a great retirement plan and future earnings are likely never to be the same as when they played.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    He only held out during preseason. That was it.

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    No, he skipped some practices also. Not verbatim but when he sat out, he essentially said that the team wasn't invested in him, so he was invested in himself. He said if he had a headache or something he would sit out. This was in September 2018.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-seahawks-after-2-interception-game/37916137/

I somewhat understand where he is coming from but sure seems like he would be another headache kind of guy that the Steelers don't need (his ability notwithstanding).

4. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Thomas is not a problem guy. Your inference would only be true if this was his attitude contract/ or no contract. I guarantee you wouldnt find any. So essentially what you see now out of Thomas is irrelevant because he'll sign with a team and you'll go back to not knowing he exists anymore aside from his play on the field.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Count me in for going for Mosley. We need a ILB in the worst way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had a contract. He chose to sit out practices and made it clear it was because the team wouldn't give him what he wanted.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why do people think the Ravens are going to let Mosley get away? He seems to be their offseason priority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    MY mistake on the tag vs. final year of his contract. Let me ask a question - can you recall him ever being a problem before that contract dust up? I don't. What I do remember is probably the best free safety in the league since Ed Reed. I don't consider every player who ever had a contract/tag dustup as being strictly a "me" player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    After his injury, he flipped off his head coach and teammates on live television, from the cart, on the way out of the stadium. He didn't get the contract he wanted, then acted like a petulant child about it. The Steelers already have one of those. Hard pass for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No way. This guy even coming off a major injury will command big dollars. Keep Edmonds where he belongs. With a year under his belt he should improve this season. They need to draft an ILB and an OLB, get rid of Dupree and go after a stud free agent corner to pair opposite Haden. Enough with the complicated defense it's just not working. Using Burnett as a dime backer sure didn't work, when he got on the field. The ILB position is putrid.

With Bell coming off the book(unless they do the stupid and tag him again) and letting Dupree go and Shazier coming off the books (calm down they will find a spot for him) they will have money to spend. Some will be eaten up by Bens contract, releasing Burnett and not resigning Foster ect.

Not that I trust they will do any of this and really with this coaching staff will it make any difference? Guess we will see, like is said every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    I cannot find where Weddle has been released. I see he has softened his stance on retiring if let go by the Ravens, but nothing on actually being released.

If he has been released or ultimately is released, I would love to see him added to the Steelers roster.

13. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Like i said, everything you saw from him is irrelevant now. The Seahawks were literally dangling a carrot in front him with no intentions of committing to him. Thats a fact. Anyone ever had to deal with the gf that doesnt want you, but doesnt want anybody else to have you??

The challenge is certainly extended to feel free to find any player in his last year of a contract (who knows their worth) that hasnt had a going back and forth with management. No one wants to address Rod Woodson??? NO ONE????

The only reason anyone should even remotely have any concerns about Thomas is the money you might have to pay him. I would rather go for a ILB on the same level if you're talking about money. Youre seriously going to consider Weddle who Edmunds had a better year then in every category? He might be on the cheap, but hes not going to improve this team not one iota.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It is not irrelevant. The cat is out of the bag on who this guy is. He was under contract. He didn't get what he wanted so he put his contact situation above his team. He made the situation very public and his antics affected his team negatively. Like Blast said, it was a me first move. The Steelers have enough me first guys to worry about right now.

15. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    So you think the same about players like Khalil Mack, Aaron Donaldson??? If those players were still available you would have a problem with the Steelers going after them??

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald both had far different situations, and neither guy stooped to the level of douchebaggery that Earl Thomas did.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Calm down, you try to turn everything into a fight. Try having just a discussion.

I don't want problem players, no. I was just explaining the situation to you. He didn't play out his contract, still had a year left when he started making trouble.

He was already paid guaranteed money, if he gets hurt now, tough beans. How long should teams compensate players for that unlikely scenario.

I brought up the first rd because thats what I feel he is worth. Have any links that Seattle was asking for a second rd? I'd be interested in reading up on that, doesn't make sense that they would refuse it.

I think you are mixing me up with someone else. Where does Woodson come from? But no, not the same situation. He was a FA and the primary reason he left was because they wanted him to change positions.

I have no problem with players trying to get extensions or more pay but let your agents handle, keep the bs off the field and out of the locker room and you just play football. Like they are being well paid to do.

18. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    How was it far different?? They got what they wanted out of the situation...new contracts, even though their previous ones hadnt expired. It wasnt because they showed up for camp and were team players.

19. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...sking-price-safety-earl-thomas-154516700.html

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/21/...ahawks-first-round-nfl-free-agency-disrespect

20. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011

Why is it that every time someone disagrees with you it has to be a fight? Did i say something wrong or disrespectful?? Point it out?

To say a career ending injury is an unlikely scenario for any player is being kind of narrow minded right. Thomas season ended the fourth game of the year as proof these guys are always one play away from it all ending for them. The organization clearly doesnt care about these players long term health so they definitely have to protect themselves in a cut throat business.

As for Woodson. He had no issue with the position change. Cowher and Donahoe didnt think he could play the position with his previous knee injury. Woodson felt he could, but the Steelers werent willing to pay him the money he wanted to prove it. It was pretty public and the fans reportedly turned against him in Pittsburgh.

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    As we all already know,it's a business. When a owner/GM feels your price has surpassed your value they will cut you in a second. A player has the right to do whatever he feels he can to maximize his value and secure his financial future. There is really no side to take in any of these situations. Everyone is doing what they think is best for themselves . That's it.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The difference is both Donald and Mack were stuck in rookie contracts that they were outplaying by far. These guys became two of the best at their position very quickly, and were only making a couple of million a year in the rookie deals. Both held out, neither caused a scene.

Thomas on the other hand, was not in a rookie deal. He had already been paid. The contract he signed in 2014 paid him 40 million over 4 years. He was due to make 9 million dollars last season. He was under contract. The Seahawks lived up to their end of the bargain. Thomas decided he wanted a new contract and when he didn't get his way, he made a public scene, on more than one occasion. He refused to practice unless he felt like it. Then when he got injured he flipped off his own sideline on national TV. The guy is a POS in my book. Comparing Donald and Thomas is like apples and oranges.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    So basically the only difference was that Thomas flipped off his sideline when he got hurt, because other than that you didnt come up with any differences. Makes no difference what year they are in or how much money has or has not been made. You're under contract show up.

I guess also, according to your theory of why it was ok for Donaldson/Mack to pursue new contracts, because they outplayed their rookie contracts, than i shouldnt find any posts of you bashing Bell, who was relatively silent throughout his rookie contract even though he outplayed it as you put it. Ill check to see if youre a hypocrite.

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I laid the differences out for you. You are arguing just to argue.

BTW, Who is this Donaldson person you keep referring to? The man's name is Aaron Donald. At least know the guys name, if you are going to use him as an example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    You're right i was calling him Aaron Donaldson...my bad:facepalm:.

As far as arguing Im simply confused as to why one player under contract gets a pass and the other doesnt?? Longevity of careers makes no difference. Earl Thomas outplayed his rookie contract also. You didnt hear about him griping about money or contract talks then did you? Yet its all of a sudden ok for mack and donald to do it??:shrug:

Of course we're probably not having a conversation about any of these guys if there was no such thing as the franchise tag. The franchise tag is the devil. Organizations hold it over players heads like a dark cloud. Its used a lot to jerk around these players. NFL/PA should be ashamed of themselves. You already dont get fully guaranteed contracts. You give them the franchise tag on top of that??