1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Burnett, sign Weddle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Rats released Weddle. Steelers missed the boat with him when they went after Ladarius Green instead :puking2:

Should grant Burnett his wish and pick up Weddle. He's getting up there in age but on a short term contract he'd be a good fit while Edmunds continues to grow.

He's a leader out there, would love to have him. Was so disappointed when they failed to bring him in last time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Making room to resign Mosley....dang!

Do you think we’d have a spot for Weddle? He’s safety only, and I think Davis and Edmunds are staying put. If he could play dime LB then yes, but I think our ship has sailed with him as we’re a year or two too late.

We’d have to mess with edmunds in order to play weddle and that’s not appealing to me at this point. I’d like to keep edmunds in a stable spot for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Rather sign earl thomas than weddle.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    im all for thomas too but we wont go for him

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why would they trade once cancer to bring in another?

Enough of the selfish 'me" players, they are nothing but a pain in the ass.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah. Earl Thomas is just what this team needs.:rolleyes: Thomas and AB can flip a coin to see who is going to practice that day. After the coin flip they will both say **** it and skip practice anyway. I want no part of any player who may potentially cause a problem here.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    you're not wrong lol

8. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No No No..
    If you think Burnett is bad.. you haven't watched Weddle..
    Slower than Molasses..
    Would much rather have Mosley if they let him go..

Why not look into Landon Collins or Adrian Amos..both are young but have played in the league for longer than 2 years..

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He won a sb as the best player on that defense and last yr before he got hurt he was balling out. Stop it..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Even my brother, who's the biggest Charger homer there is, was glad to be rid of Weddle. I believe his words were, most overrated, overpaid safety in the league. Words to that affect.

11. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not sure about Weddle. Can’t be too much tread left on tires. Plus we drafted 100 safeties last couple of years. Corner is another story.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking of the extra DB packages they were working on in camp last year but never really used it much. Injuries to Burnett probably shelved that. Could ask Edmunds to play dime LB in those instances. They drafted TE with the intent of him playing some dime LB.

Great. Didn’t address my question at all. You’re a “me” player, I don’t expect you to understand.

Weddle was something like 10th best rated safety last season. He’s a very good player.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess Baltimore agrees with him. He was not that great here. Rather, he was nowhere near as good as he thought he was.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Anything that was ever related to the Chargers is tainted with you :lolol:

15. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Clearly a comment made by a person that is completely clueless as to what Thomas' situation was or what he meant to his teammates to call him selfish. Last i checked he reported and played from game 1 until his leg got broken. Understandable now that he desired to get a deal done. Theres no indication whatsoever that he was a cancer in his locker room, had any off field incidents, or was anything less than a leader. If you find anything contrary to what i said feel free to point it out. Ill wait...

Oh yeah, before you reply back think Rod Woodson in his last year here and his relationship with management. Was Rod Woodson being a cancer?? Was Rod Woodson being selfish?? Like i said, Ill wait on both counts...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hind-sight 20/20 we should have made every effort to sign him 2 years ago.

I don't know if I could do it today unless it was as the dime backer in a support role on the cheap.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How is Thomas a selfish “me” player? He wanted a long term deal, got tagged instead, and still played - very well. A pretty significant percentage of players who get tagged gripe about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We will probably re-sign behre.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Not quite true, but I'm going off what my brother told me. For instance, I really like all the SB winning, HOF players the Chargers got rid of. You know, the Lance Alworths, Fred Deans, Louie Kelchers, Drew Brees', LaDanian Tomlisons…………..

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He wasn't tagged, he was under contract and had a year left. Why is he making trouble? Play your damn contract.

Then the middle finger as he is being carted off to his coaches? No thanks.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    After seeing a lot of tape, I'm not a big fan of having a safety as the "dime linebacker. That was what was done when they didn't have the personnel at ILB for a nickel package.

Polamalu changed it up. Didn't know where he was going to be, and therefore was able to sneak up and make plays in the box.

Safeties aren't as skilled as reading the play from the LB position and attacking gaps like linebackers are.

So not against the dime linebacker in totality, but being obvious in what we are doing was exploited by the teams simply running right at the safety.

Think this is why Burnett is running for the hills.

22. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He did play out his contract though and he wasnt complaining about his current contract...he was concerned about not having an extension...why???

If he suffers a career ending injury he loses out on the money he could have made if the Seahawks would have traded him to a team that was willing to extend his career beyond several years. When teams start jacking around with these players future earnings they dont like that. Name one player who hasnt had the same reaction?? I dont understand what you guys dont get about that.

The Seahawks could have done him a solid. Hey, we cant come to terms on a contract agreement and, in all reality, we dont want to sign you beyond this year unless its a franchise tag, but we'll trade you at the very least so you can go somewhere else and play out the rest of your career and get the security you need. Instead the Seahawks, even though they had second round offers, chose not to trade him and we know what happened third or fourth game in. So yeah, he was in his feelings a little bit when he suffered the broken leg.

Im not saying Seahawks didnt have the right to do what they did...business is business, but dont try and make Thomas out to be the exception when he is actually the norm.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He had a year left on his contract and held out of camp. They weren't able to come to an agreement on an extension and he showed up for the season.

Dallas offered a second rd pick, Thomas is worth a first. Why should Seattle hurt their season by giving away Thomas for lesser value?

Thomas has been well compensated, made 45 million on 5 years and missed 17 games in that time.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Didn't he blow off practices and meetings? I was under the impression that the situation was getting worse right up to the point when he was injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    To be honest the inside linebackers the Steelers have aren't good at reading plays and attacking gaps either.

• Agree Agree x 1