1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Current RBs overhyped possibly?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i see some people getting up in arms about drafting a RB earlier on in the draft on various blog sites and from steeler fans i know personally, saying " we have conner and samuels." Conner seems like he gets banged up fairly easily and has some serious ball security issues(also his hands are average imo, remember that jacksonville drop big time. routine catch for anyone imo) and samuels is an unknown with a few good games really. anyone else feel as though RB is a serious need and should be addressed with one of the 3rd round picks or so around that part of the draft? I feel like the steelers need a serious bruising type of back instead of a checkdown guy. Take some pressure off not having AB. yes i know the team has other needs, yes i know ILB and CB and WR are needed.the team has 10 picks should get a stud RB sooner than later in the draft.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd have it as a need - I'd be very surprised if we weren't loading up on either late round RBs or UDFAs - but I think WR and TE are above RB in the need list at the moment.

It also wouldn't shock me to see a vet RB signed if cut from another team at the end of preseason. But I wouldn't like to see a high draft pick used on one.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Definitely a need. There have been some spectacular RB’s found in the third round in recent years, they could use the 3rd they got from Oakland and add an impact player there. They are going to have to run the ball a lot more in 2019 now that Brown is gone and I don’t trust Conner to stay healthy for a full season. Samuels is a really useful player to have as he can line up anywhere but we haven’t seen enough to know if he can be a regular.

Steelers had four or five RB’s in to visit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they use their 2nd there depending on the way the board falls. The safest way to add a big impact player on offence is at RB. Pats used their first last year on Michel and he was a huge part of their offence. Not saying the Steelers should use their first on a RB but I don’t think they should be afraid of using a high pick there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have looked at more the than any other position. 7. 6LBers. 6CBs. 5 WRs. 2OLBs. :shrug::cool:

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think RB is a need. I don’t think we need to draft a feature back to replace Conner, but we need another well-rounded back who can play important snaps and even carry most of the load if needed. 3rd - 6th Round sounds about right depending on who is available when we pick. There are a lot of good, but not great, RB prospects out there this year. Lots of depth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm with the OP. If they decide to draft a RB, get him before the 4th round.

7. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I agree that RB is a need, but I would sign a veteran free agent instead of drafting one. Although the Steelers have 10 draft picks, I think they will end up drafting only 6 players, as a result of trading up. CB, ILB, OLB, TE, WR, S are the positions I would address, not necessarily in that order.

A late round rookie running back isn't going to be given a chance to make an immediate impact anyway.

They should have signed C. J. Anderson last year.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Conner but he is injury prone. As stated above, a vet signing ala Erric Pegram could suffice.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Connor has been injury prone. Samuels wasn't really an RB in college. I would necessarily draft an RB unless one they really like fell to them. What makes more sense is to find an experienced vet RB who's been a cap casualty and sign hm for depth.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    CJ Anderson would have been an excellent addition last year. Not sure what vets will be available between now and the start of the season. If that was the way they were going would they not have already picked up somebody like Anderson, Hyde or Crowell who were all available for reasonable money until recently? Of course more will be cut before the season and they may pick up a bargain.

Given they have met with so many RB’s I think they are going to roll the dice in the draft. One if the first 4-5 picks will be a RB I think.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Conner made the probowl in his third year and Samuel played important snaps. Yes they will need a Rb in late rounds.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need a RB, but I would wait until the fifth round. The first four rounds should be focused on defense, maybe a TE or WR, then a RB.

13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    JMHO, but I think first the team needs to define its identity on offense before stating what it's true 'needs' are. I'm not arguing the talent of Bell or Brown on the field. But there were times the offense seemed disjointed, as if they didn't know which side, rushing or passing, they wanted to go with to effectively move the chains.

Obviously a coaching decision, but one whose gameplan needs to be defined before we determine where our need truly is.

14. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    ya man feel the same. kinda like they have a throw it against the wall and see what sticks kind of approach. wish he they would establish a serious running game with a back that can take it, that guy is not on the roster at the moment.

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There are 2 guys I really like who are considered deep into the draft. Bryce Love and Benny Snell.

Love has a bunch of injury issues and I'm not sure can be an every down back, but I do think he is going to be there in the 6th round with one of our picks if we want him.

Snell again I see as a 6th round pick. To me he is not the guy you want in the game on 3rd down or when passing every play because you are behind, but he can be a really good ground and pound type on the first 2 downs of a series. He is basically the anti-Samuels. If Conner gets hurt, he could rotate in and out with Samuels and be a very good contributor for us. He would be a 6th round pick, you can't ask for more than the guy to contribute. Not everyone turns out to be AB.

• Agree Agree x 1