1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CUBS 2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Frick32, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Wow...what a series with the Giants!! I know BFT is a Cubs fan (as am I)...only 8 more wins.

I still can't believe they came back from 3 down in the 9th and then scored the go ahead also. Usually that is what happens to the Cubs...maybe, just maybe this is finally their year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Awesome to meet another fan. There was a moment during this season where I thought to myself "we're gonna do it!" and then we just hit this slump and I really thought we peaked too early and other teams got hot at the right time. So I've been telling myself for pretty much a month that the other shoe is about to drop because my theory is it will help me to cope more. Well after the MadBum choke game I realized...it didn't. LOL! I told my buddy that I just have this horrible feeling that this team is the baseball equivalent of a bully. They beat up on people all year and then when someone finally decides to hit back they just fold. I HOPE that last night will be the ultimate proof that I'm wrong about that but we DEFINITELY need more consistency at the plate. I will say that Baez is the hero in my mind and as of right now he's probably my favorite Cub. I love Rizzo but he needs to get his crap together in the postseason. Baez brings it every night on both sides of the ball. His defense is straight up amazing to watch. I just hope Hendricks is ok. I probably have the most trust in him on the mound more than I do anyone else and if you had told me at the start of the year that I would be making that statement I would have laughed in your face. But I'm thinking like you're thinking. 8...more...wins.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frick32

Oct 27, 2011
    My wife won a radio contest in 2003 and prize was was a DVD of the movie Chicago, concert tickets to Chicago, and 2 night trip to Chicago (airfare and hotel). It was at the end of the regular season and we got tickets to the last 3 home games. I think their magic number was 2 and the Pirates were in town. Friday's game was rained out, so we got the double hitter on Saturday. They won the first game and clinched with the second. Wrigleyville was so crazy. I paid the most for Sunday's game to get bleacher seats...they sat everyone. (but my wife was chosen to be in a Jim Belushi TV spot...so that worked out)

Then game 6...Cubs in command and I said sitting at home watching it on TV "Damn we should have bought a bottle of champagne". A couple minutes later I heard a 'pop' and she brought an open bottle to me (bless her heart). I asked (she says I yelled) "What are you doing? They haven't won yet"...then Bartman!!!

We are still married (20 yrs) and have 4 great kids...but I was ready to kill her that night...lol.

I've been back to Wrigley a few times, but that weekend was the best. The Cubs have never lost with me watching (except for that Sunday game after they clinched) (I've been to 5 Steeler games and they have never won...so I'm staying away...lol)

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the moment that Bartman done that is firmly etched in to my mind. I will never forget exactly where I was when it happened and how much I wanted to kill that guy. I still can't stand Josh Beckett to this day because he came out the next night and straight up murdered us. My dad was born in Chicago and grew up there until he was 12. He used to go watch Ernie Banks play for a DOLLAR! I've still got family that lives up there and that go to tons of games. My uncle once got a call from his friend and she told him someone was at her house and was wanting him to come over. He asked her who and she just told him to come over. She wouldn't say and he got kinda irritated and she was telling him just to trust her and come. So he comes over and there stood Ernie Banks in the kitchen!!! My uncle about fell over. LOL! This was when Banks was still playing and was probably the most beloved athlete in Chicago at that time. He just sat and talked with him for a while and Ernie signed him a baseball and then left. My uncle still has that ball and it's one of his most prized possessions. He told me that story a couple of years ago when he was in town for my papaw's funeral and I just stood there with my mouth on the ground green with envy. LOL! I live just 20 minutes from Knoxville and the Cubs have their farm league team down here with the Smokies. It's amazing how many guys on the roster right now, and actually a lot of other MLB rosters, played there. Ryan Sandberg used to be there a lot scouting talent. It's in Sevierville about 40 minutes from my house. Kris Bryant played there actually.

5. Frick32

Oct 27, 2011
    Who do you want Dodgers or Nats? We haven't done very well with LA in the playoffs...but I don't want to see Daniel Murphy and Harper either. Murphy killed us last year with the Mets

6. Frick32

Oct 27, 2011
    Wow...Mr Cub himself...I would kiss up to your Uncle so you might get it some day. When we were at that game...they retired Ron Santo's jersey.

I took my son a few years back and he got Ryan Dempster's warm up ball...Ryan walked over to us and gave it to him and then during the game Derek Lee game him a ball too.

Nothing compared to Mr Cubbie himself though.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've been telling people I DON'T want Murphy! I'm honestly afraid to say who I "want" because of superstition I guess. Last year I wanted the Mets...

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    My understanding is that the Dodgers are re-signing Fernando, Hideo, Sandy, Garvey and Kirk Gibson for this series - but no mention of Buckner. :cool:

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Sing along with me.......for those too young to remember, it's to the tune of "La Bamba".....
    "Fernando Valenzuela,
    Fernando Valenzuela,
    He came from Sonora
    to Tommy Lasorda's
    Dodger Blue........."

• Like Like x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    awesome other cubs fans. Honestly if we had to go back game 5 there would be too much pressure on cubs to close it at home. San Fran didnt have a bullpen and they finally got exposed. Glad Cubs could actually capitalize. Sad thing is half our offense was from our pitchers, the other half was from bryant and baez. That has to change.

Now that it's a best of 7 in the next 2 series, I am fully confident if cubs dont tomlin themselves then they will win both series in 5-6 games each.

It's been a long road of misery, this year might just be the year.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you for creating this thread, Frick. When the time comes, please start one for 2017, as well, so some of us Pirates fans can enjoy our thread again.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    THANK YOU MIGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent a lot of time yelling at the tv tonight! LOL!

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Stick around! You're in our division.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We needed that win since "God" is pitching tonight lol

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Kershaw is straight up pitching his brains out tonight and they're not even trying to get his count up. Just standing there helplessly while he slings it right down the middle. The Contreras at bat is one of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Rizzo- Pathetic
    Russell- Pathetic
    Heyward- Pathetic
    Contreras- Pathetic
    Fowler- Pathetic
    Zobrist- Pathetic
    Bryant- Incredibly Underwhelming
    Baez- Only player that cares on a daily basis and brings it every game

Ahhh the life of a Cubs fan in the postseason. LOL!

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    L
    Luckily, you guys don't have much experience with it! LOL!

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    After tonight it's easy to see why. Maddon's teams are nothing but bullies. Beat the crap out of sub par teams but then when you have to actually play somebody, although the Dodgers are mostly bums compared to us, you just fold and can't do anything. Seriously, Rizzo is an absolute disgrace in the postseason. Contreras had a swingless at bat tonight and then he just sorta looked at the umpire and walked away like a cowardly child. All I can say is Kershaw should be glad the wind was helping him because Baez would have sent him deep. I guess he's glad his era came down to about 22 past the 7th tonight. The guy is a bum in the postseason and we made him look like one of the most clutch pitchers ever. NObody is afraid to play this Cubs team right now. I would have rather lost to the Giants then to just watch these idiots stand there like statues while strikes go by them. Javy Baez is the only guy playing with any guts right now. He deserves to be moved up the lineup. Rizzo needs to go back to the minors along with about 95% of our roster.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    BFT, since I'm not really a baseball fan I have to ask. Which loss is worse, the Cubs or the Steelers?

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Cubs. By FARRRRRRRRRR the Cubs. The stakes are MUCH higher for the Cubs right now than they are the Steelers. I honestly wasn't even mad today. I was just like "Eh" but the Cubs had me seething. I mean seriously ticked. I just can't stomach them coming out looking like bums. I know everyone is gonna sing Kershaw's praises, and that's fine because he's great, HOWEVER there were some TERRIBLE calls tonight that really helped him. The call on Bryant in the bottom of the 9th was disgraceful and that umpire should have his jaw jacked for that crap. Also the lackluster, and I'm being generous by saying it that way, effort at the plate by the Cubs has just been infuriating. Yeah it's easily the Cubs for me. Not even close.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Relax Rev........take two of these :tequila: (Shirley Temples) and call me in the morning. Hey even the Pirates have owned the Dodgers in LA these past few season. It's not like Kershaw's going to pitch every game (oh wait......). You'll be fine. Honest. :beg:

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Cubbies are going all the way! Next year! I'm telling you that next year we're gonna win it all! I can just feel it! It's destiny. Rizzo is gonna bat .1000 and hit 88 homers and then go to the playoffs and just plow through pitchers. Maddon is also gonna prove that he's more than just funny cliches and he's gonna prove that he's the greatest manager of all time. All you gamblers had better take that to the bank! You heard it here first!

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh Man I'm sorry about the locals - guess eventually a $ 1 billion payroll turns dividends. Remember though, the Pirates were down 3 games to 1 to the Orioles in 79 and came back to win the WS. Have to say - I didn't expect the Dodgers to get this far.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Between Rizzo, Fowler, Heyward, Zobrist, and Russell we are literally like 14 for 130 for something like that. They couldn't beat my little boys little league team batting like that! It's unreal. It is just the most "Cubs" way possible to wreck teams all year and be historically good and then literally stop hitting in the post season. ONLY the Cubs could even accomplish something that stupid. My wife is mad because I've been just screaming at the tv for the past 2 days and acts like I'm an awful fan but she just doesn't realize the misery that Cubs fans have been subjected to. I told her tonight she should just become a Dodgers fan and spare herself the misery. If I could go back in time to my 7 year old self I'd probably beg him not to become a Cubs fan. It's just too painful of an existence. But at least we put out the Cards and Pirates though. LOL!

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    All I can offer you my friend is it's a good thing you're not 107 - your misery index would be so much worse. That's all I got.