1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher admits to stealing signals

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by hangaber, Jan 20, 2012.

1. hangaber

hangaber Member

Jan 20, 2012
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I would be disappointed if he didn't try to steal signals. I am somewhat surprised he admitted it but it should be obvious to everyone that these guys are under extreme pressure to win and will use any advantage.

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  5. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    cowher confessed to this during the whole sypgate thing. what other news is out there? i heard the nfl is looking to add expansion teams from carolina and jacksonville.

6. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao:

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That's just ridiculous. What's next? Putting teams back in Cleveland and Houston?

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think he wasn't very good at it , with only one SB win in 15 seasons. :mail: :cool:

9. SteelAGirl

SteelAGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    :amen:

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Any player will cheat if he can....if someone drops their playbook somewhere if the other team finds it best believe they are using it.

I'm sure there was some signal stealing going on, but I highly doubt there was video tape guys on staff like Belicheat.

11. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

Gee whiz, this is very old news. I remember having to listen to Pats fans, reporting this clip, as support of what their coach was doing.

Look, there are varying degrees and lengths to which people will go to "gain a competitive" advantage. The real key to what Cowher said was that you don't need a video camera to steal and gain knowledge from signals. If there is no benefit to it, then why were the Patriots doing it??? This has been the million-dollar question.

I don't think any of us know the whole picture. IMHO, it wasn't just videotape. I think the Patriots have a thorough, sophisticated system for gaining these advantages. Some things that have come to light...

1. Belichick's right-hand man in Ernie Adams, a military strategist and known code-breaker and lip-reader. His official title is "special assistant" but nobody, including the players, knows exactly what he does. During games, BB has a direct line to Adams.

2. Ted Johnson is on record as saying the defense would receive sheets of opponent's audibles prior to games and were told to study them. The players didn't ask how or why they got them; they just did what they were told.

3. Paul Zimmerman reported in Sports Illustrated that many teams complained about headset issues at Gillette and some even went so far as accusng the Pats of sabotaging headsets or "breakin in" to coaches communications. Peter King later wrote that the encryptions for radio headsets are not all that sophisticated, and interrupting them or eavesdropping on them is not all that difficult.

I don't know if any of this is evidence of "cheating," but keep in mind that Belichick's favorite book is Sun Tzu's Art of War. If you have read that book or know a little about it, you can see Belichick's mindset. And the book includes sections on how to use spies and deception to defeat an opponent.

12. black&gold1969

black&gold1969 Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
  13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yeah Im not too worried about it either...all teams do it...most just don't send spies to videotape the other teams practice

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it is going to be a long time until we see a team in Cleveland.

15. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When it's all said and done players have to execute. People can say what they want about Brady and the Pats and the sign stealing and all that. But when it's all said and done just watching Brady play is enough to let me know that I think he can get the job done regardless. Sign stealing is something that has gone on in sports for years.

17. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    You can steal any signals you want.... rules always said so- you just could never video tape them. geeez

18. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Very old NASCAR saying....."If ya aint cheatin ya aint tryin."

Get away with what yinz can. Cus da next team is doin da same.