1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher’s coaching tree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 21, 2024.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    On the 32nd anniversary of Cowhers hiring by the Steelers I thought it would be nice to share something positive about Cowher. Should’ve know that it would get turned into Tomlin bashing.
    For one stinking thread just focus on the subject matter and leave Tomlin out of it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL come on man.....you had to know it would turn into Tomlin bashing :lolol:

This board could take anything and make it into a Tomlin bashing session.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Sorry. We should try and do better. Is it ok to say something about Noll’s coaching tree? Tom Moore is Senior Offensive Assistant with TB and his 45th NFL season and Tony Dungy is a legend. Mean Joe Greene is defensive line coach for the Arizona Cardinals.

4. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    More proof that Tomlin rides the veterans for too long.
    ;)

5. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I always thought Baby Lloyd was like ARod, garbage time stats. At one point he had the Steelers sack record but he was an accumulator and to my recollection never came up big. I might be wrong but that is my recollection on him.

6. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Yeah just read a article on how bill encouraged Mike to try his best somewhere else since Vrabel was 3rd string. Worked out pretty well for the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It’s not the board. It’s a handful or two that can’t talk about football

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    IDK. I thought Gildon was right up there with Lloyd, Greene, Porter at the time.

That 01 defense with Porter, Gildon, Holmes, and Bell was one of the best Steelers defenses of all time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Coaching tree used to be used as a tool to show a football philosophy. Somehow a few yinzers decided it was a measure of success or greatness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Their front seven was very solid but they struggle against the spread offense like we see in 2002....

11. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Harbaugh does a great job and so does his front office working in tandem with the staff. To have his track record with defense requires a lot more than just good DC hires though. It requires a willingness by the head coach to run physical practices, which is not always the case in today's NFL. It requires great personnel selection and roster building. And it requires a top mind running your defensive gameplans as well as calling it on gameday.

Steelers are close to having an elite defense. 19.7ppg (8th) is quite good. Where you want to be is that 15-16 range though if possible, as that gives you a great chance to win it all. Top four scoring defenses this year are Baltimore (16.1ppg), KC (17.1ppg), SF (17.7ppg), and Buffalo (18.7ppg). If it wasn't for the way the seeding worked this year Buffalo probably ends up facing KC in the AFCCG, at least they were that quality of a team the way they were playing down the stretch.

All that aside Tomlin obviously needs to do better on offense. I'd go against the grain if I was him and bring in McDaniels as OC for a couple reasons. First because nobody will ever hire him away no matter how good his offense is. Second because he has no leadership but is quite good when he's allowed to just be the brains of the gameplanning operation under a coach who has the leadership. Hiring him would be scoffed at by most fans but I think that is the type of hire that could flip things for Mike Tomlin and put him in position to contend. The offensive roster of course needs work but if he can sort the staff then he has a chance to get it right this offseason.

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Talking about Gildon made me think of the 2001 Big Nasty D. Here's a blast from the past below. Tell @S.T.D to cover his ears. :lolol:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The steelers were also 21th in yards...It was a bend but don't break defense....It can work against several team but in the playoffs against elite QB,you are likely to give up 30 points when you give up so many yards....The stats for this defense have never been a problem in the regular season,but in the playoffs this is a another story....Of course a much better offense,it would help big time but the defense need to do their part too

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Sometime ago I looked at Noll's tree, and the tree he came from...not every coach makes a great HC, but the lists were so impressive. The greats do produce greats...but sometimes you just get the standard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Wait, who ever said that Cowher found “ all these great coaches” for that even to be put to bed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Got to tell ya, I like stumps. That's a nice one. I'd decorate it. Tree cutter's always though I was cheap not paying for the grinding. They didn't get that I dig stumps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Great Blackeyed peas song

• Like Like x 1
  18. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    They were watered and nurtured by his spit ?

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good one!

20. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    I am aware. And I don't sweat yards. Granted it's irritating to see offenses move up and down the field on your defense. But what matters is redzone and points allowed.

For this defense to do better in the yards allowed and in getting off the field quickly in general they're going to need better pieces. Coaching is in place.

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It's constant man, constant.......this board, reddit, radio, the streets........constant.

22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    We got that alright. Mr standard average himself.

23. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Gildon had really good years, then towards the end he started that thing where he would get blocked completely out of the play to way behind the pocket. He was massive. I remember he got in a bar fight a couple of years after he retired and wondered who would be stupid enough to get into it with that guy.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Yeah you gotta have a few hot Tatis in ya to think that is going to end well

25. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    True.
    Remember this fight?

[​IMG]