1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboys, Steelers, Packers ...and the Pats?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Go 'lers, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Colin Cowherd recently commented on the lead up to the Cowboys-Patriots game about the popularity of New England. The question he addressed was if the Patriots fandom was truly nationwide and if their supposed countrywide popularity was sustainable.

I believe, like ole Cowherd, that the only 3 truly "nationally popular" team brands are the Cowboys (yuck but true), Steelers, and Packers. After so much time during the Brady era it would feel like the Patriots would make it 4... but I don't.

The Pats have garnered a lot of, dare I say, bandwagon fans buuuut there aren't THAT many people from/connected to the New England states to make that true. I believe that much of the "brand" is tired up in Brady. Once he goes many of the other "fans" will too.

That's not to say I don't think the Patriots won't be good post-Brady, I believe Belichicks coaching and Krafts ownership will keep the team very competitive. What I'm saying is that even as a relatively good team they're not going to move the needle the same way Pittsburgh does.

Don't believe me? Even a depleted Pittsburgh team lead by a benched backup QB absolutely TOOK OVER a stadium 3000 miles away this year in Los Angeles. That's the power of Steeler Nation vs New England's fleeting fame.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They definitely have a large, national fanbase and that's not going away when Brady leaves. Boston fans tend to be die hard fans, doesn't really matter the sport. Same with New York. There are Jets fans everywhere, despite being such a terrible team for so long.

3. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Well, seems some people disagree with your idea that the Steelers are "popular". Traveling for my work and talking to people around the country, the following comments are definitely true:

MOST HATED TEAMS IN THE NFL:

This hatred can sprout from the actions of one of the teams’ players, or the teams’ collective personality, or simply out of envy. In this “football scoreboards” article, I will take a look at today’s top 5 most hated NFL teams and why they are disliked so much.

5 – Pittsburg Steelers – in the case of the Steelers, the hatred for the team arises from the fact that they are led by one of the most conscientiously corrupt and hated men in the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger has escaped 3 rape charges, and the fans are savvy enough to know that no man can have 3 rape allegations (even unproven!) against his name without him being a philanderer and a womanizer.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The National Anthem situation didn't do anything to help their image.

I do believe the 70's success brought some fans on board and when Pittsburgh had a mass movement of people leaving we raised our children as Steeler fans.

While I may not like things Pittsburgh sport figures have done outside the world of sports I try to distance myself from that aspect of their life. They are nothing more then a Pittsburgh sport player to me. Although I do despise some **** I've seen from pro sport players.

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It was actually 2 allegations for what it's worth. And how old is this article? They're still talking about Rex Ryan as the Jets head coach.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There are generational teams that seem to gain a national audience for awhile, Denver, Buffalo in the 90's, 'Skins and 49's 80's..list could go on. The Packers became legendary because of Lombardi, and have kept that mantra even in the worst of time. The Steelers I believe have stayed in the national spotlight (even in the bad years) not only because of the 70's, but the legacy of Art and Dan Rooney. The 'boys I actually believe would not have the staying power if the 'America's Team" label was not pushed so much. JMHO. I think the Giants and Bears could have a much bigger national market, but they fall more into the generational cat. The Pats are interesting, because no team has been in the spotlight with continual championship appearances for this long. Even the contempt many feel do so with admiring respect. As someone has said, the root of the fam base will remain loyal regardless of where they go after Belicheck and brady, the next decade will reveal if the national following is as consistent as the other 3.

7. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Reminds me of Salem in 1692.