1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could we unveil a new Steel Curtain in 2016?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 30, 2016.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I had nor that of the possibility until today. I know it won't be the norm but could we possibly see our big boys across the line in a base defense?

Heyward-McCullers-Hargrave-Tuitt

Let these bulls loose. Get up the field. Could be interesting.

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I like that type of thinking

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Dupree is not a 4-3 OLB. Maybe Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, and Dupree.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah he was kind of the odd man out in the equation. Like I said, it wouldn't be permanent but I'd like to see the big 4 guys all on the line in some sort of package.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I feel like our big nickel defense could look a lot like that... With it being a passing league, we will be in base nickel. However there will still be a time and place for the standard 34 look as well as big nickel and dime packages too. No need to label it as anything. Just mix up the front seven so we can get the best matchups in our favor depending on the oppositions offense. Some weeks that could look different than others

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is possible. Seeing four tier one athletes wreck havoc is not something I would not rule out for whatever Butler has planned.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Haven't given this any thought but now that you mention it, it would be a nice wrinkle to have when used properly. But we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to add another DE from some place.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They did Ricardo Matthews from San Diego.

9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

I forgot about this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it's still only he and Walton. I feel better now.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Damn getting me fired up! I like that kind of party. I can see this being in some sub packages.

11. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm all for showing as many different looks (provided that they are productive) as we can to keep the offenses off-balance.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Don't sleep on Cashaud Lyons either. They really seem to like him and he's been in the system for almost a year now.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I know but I haven't heard a mention of him. So I'm thinking there hasn't been any major stepping up by him.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dupree is big and fast enough to play 4-3 DE. Heyward would be ideal for DT along with Hargrave/McCullers and Tuitt as other DE in 4-3 alignment. Problem would be where to stick Shazier and Timmons. Jones could play the RLB in the 4-3. I don't know if I'd rather have Timmons or Shazier in the MLB spot. Whoever doesn't play the MLB spot would man the LLB.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Did someone say some sort of package???

Goal-line package

Heyward-McCullers-Hargrove-Tuitt

Basic 4-3 Alignment

Dupree- Heyward- Tuitt- Lyons

Basic 3-4 alignment

Heyward- McCullers/Hargrove- Tuitt

Sub-Package---Nickel/Dime

Heyward- Tuitt

Cajun-

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's blasphemy to mention this group to the Steel Curtain :bowdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Under front base
    9T/LEO/1gap- Dupree
    3T/UT/1gap - Hargrave
    1T/NT/2gap - Tuitt
    5T/DE/2gap - Heyward
    WILL - Shazier
    MIKE - Timmons
    SAM - Jarvis
    Or nickel version swap Jarvis out NB Golson in.

Even front nickel
    9T/LEO/1gap- Dupree/Moats
    3T/UT/1gap - Tuitt/Hargrave
    1T/NT/1gap - Heyward/Hargrave
    7T/DE/1gap - Harrison/Moats
    WILL - Shazier
    MIKE - Timmons
    NB - Golson

hybrid okie
    45T/DE/2gap - Heyward
    01T/NT/2gap - McCullers
    45T/DE/2gap - Tuitt
    OLB - Dupree
    Buck - Shazer
    Mack - Timmons
    OLB - Harrison

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It'll be interesting to see what they officially label their base defense as this year.

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Whatever is effective. Lebeau would've loved this lineup personnel

20. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

Looks like there will be no rest for Heyward & Tuitt.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm thinking no but hoping yes. I just think we have too many unproven commodities on that side of the ball.

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm not a fan who wants to attack or be contradictory towards other fans, but I do enjoy good debates. In a different thread there was a "warm" discussion on coverages. You're using alot of different defensive terminology and honestly I'm wondering why? LEO is weakside edge rusher yet you have Dupree there and I may be wrong but doesn't Dupree play strong side?

In your first two listed fronts you correctly have Shazier in his preferred position but in the OKIE you have him at buck and Timmons at Mack. This is wrong. Timmons has played both mack & buck depending on who his co-ILBer is. With Spence/Shazier he played Buck but with V. Williams he played Mack.

In your under front you have Tuitt as a two-gap 1 tech NT, ?? 2-gap NT is zero tech.... 1-gap NT is a one tech. Either way Tuitt has no business there. He is TOO Good further out at either 2/3-tech or 5-tech. He will be a disruptive force this year attacking the QB and Backfield and I predict he'll be BETTER than Heyward. We have two STUDS and neither belong on the nose. You have Heyward playing NT in your second front.

I agree Hargrave needs to be on the Nose but I expect him to also be Heywards/Tuitt's back-up. I'm not going to ask you what you asked me in the other thread. I'm just going to assume you missed typed somethings and didn't proof read before posting.

Cajun-

24. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, the LEO is a weakside rusher. Primarily getting one on one rush opportunities against a tackle.
    Yes, the idea is to get our most talented pass rusher singled up.

This was a thread titled, "Could we unveil a new Steel Curtain". And in that context, I am highlighting a combination of what I think they should do, and what i've seen in judging their intent.

You are correct, that is a straight up mistake
    Buck - Timmons
    Mack - Shazier

Incorrect. A 1 Tech NT can 1 or 2 gap.
    The tech is the alignment, the gap is the responsibility
    A 1 Tech, 2 Gapping in an Under front is standard/common (See Gus Bradley's defense for examples)

Yes, I have Heyward and Tuitt playing different tech/assignments based on the base formation and what situations it would be used in. When you hear Tomlin speak of being "multiple", these are the kinds of things he's talking about.

I think you are thinking of the NT position far too much in Hampton terms. You need to move beyond the 34.

I don't think Hargraves should be on the Nose. I think he should be a classic attacking undertackle, a 1 gap threat.

25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm fully aware of Jags HC Bradley and his defense philosophies as he's a Kiffin disciple. I also fully understand tech and gap definitions and yes in the past he placed his NT at the 1-tech ( shoulder of the center ) and had him guard both a gaps but that is a responsive approach where he tries to play run depending on where the center goes. I don't like this because a 1-tech should attack that gap he's on commanding a double team. It's also hard for a NT lined up on the right shoulder of the center to guard that centers left shoulder's A-Gap. I do like the "classic" zero-tech when you're asking him to 2-gap.

I think Hargrave can play nose ( zero ) as he's not just thick and strong but really quick and violent hands. One-Gapping should also be something in his arsenal. I really like that Pick over Billings. It's taken me awhile to digest this but once again it seems the FO knows more than me!!!!!!

I also wouldn't call Dupree our most talented Pass rusher just yet.

OK....update!!!! As I'm writing this I'm watch film on Hargrave, not sure of the game but he was 1-tech ( earlier he was playing 3-tech) on the strongside A-Gap and at the snap the OL slanted his way and he jumped the weakside A-Gap and made a tackle in the backside!!!!! Holy Crap!!!! This dude is going to be a star!!!!!

Can't wait to we can see what they do with this defense!!!!

Cajun-