1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could This Be Troy's Last Season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelerzfannforever, Nov 28, 2011.

1. steelerzfannforever

steelerzfannforever Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    As much as it pains me to even think about this, I think we may be seeing the final games or even game of Troy's career. I know the Steelers have not come out and said much as of yet in regards to Troy, but we all know he received concussion like symptoms. ESPN is reporting that Troy could miss significant time because he has now received 2 head injuries within a month. How many more head injuries will Troy be able to sustain before he begins to experience significant life altering symptoms? If Im Troy, I think I have to seriously consider my long term health and possibly consider calling it quits due to the fact that we all know this is going to happen again and again and more often than not. Concussions have shortened the careers of players such as Merrill Hoge, Troy Aikman and Steve Young because they knew if they didnt quit playing they would suffer serious consequences health wise. I truly think that this is something that Troy is going to consider knowing that he has a family and he is going to put health and safety first!! Thoughts?

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If you just look at the last 2 years he has missed a lot of time and has not been the same player he once was. Troy will do what is right for him.

If he is lackluster next year or misses significant time I think its the end.

3. pepe95

pepe95 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Not happening,,,
    He needs to take care and he'll be around for many years :superman: :superman: :superman:

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yeah wifey won't let him quit...making too much money...and before you say she doesn't have a vote........remember he was the one calling her telling her he was ok

5. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It does seem that Troy has slowed down alot? Concussions are a very serious matter.I hope he can play for many years to come.I don't know. We will see. :shrug: :flag:

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If only somebody taught him how to tackle with his arms out instead of diving in head first he wouldn't get injured as much.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    On pregame radio, they said Steelers basically playing 4-3 with Troy filling role as extra DE. Possibly explaining lack of picks. Maybe when Woodley returns, Troy goes back to secondary, better coverage, more sacks.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

BINGO! Proper tackling technique (leading with the shoulder, wrapping up and driving your opponent into the ground) will lengthen Troy's career. I posted something about this last night when it happened. As long as he continues to launch himself like a missile head first he's a short-timer. Carnell Lake needs to teach him how to tackle!

9. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly! He is inflicting most of the damage on himself.

Maybe he needs to play centerfield like Ed Reed.

10. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    When Troy is out there our defense is way better, without him we arn't nearly as good. Troy health has always been a problem because he plays like with reckless abandoned. Troy isnt going to change his style of play so I try to really enjoy watching him play because he wont last forever. I'm still getting used to Ward's decline so I'm not ready for Troy to play himself out. Hopefully we can get another ring this year for both of them!

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  12. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Before the season started and his contract was signed, Troy talked about wanting to play for three more years and how then he wanted to teach. (at a university, I believe)

However, the same thoughts as were discussed on this post DID go through my mind last night when he went out of the game again. (And, yes, he needs to stop launching himself headfirst like a missile!)

Therefore, I can totally see him giving up the remaining years on this new contract and walking away for the good of his family and self.

Being selfish as I am (as both a Steelers fan and self-proclaimed "Ravens Hater") and knowing that he is the one true difference-maker that we have on defense, I do not want him to hang up his cleats.

He has said, other than GOD, nothing is more important to him than his family.

I am worried that this might be the last year....

13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    he may decide yes, i don't know, it's a family decision.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No, but last contract.