1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could the Steelers be considering cutting Harrison?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Aug 14, 2017.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    According to Dave Lolley, they just might be.
    http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170814/has_father_time_caught_up_with_steelersx2019_harrison

Personally, I would be shocked if they did. For as good as Watt looked on Friday, he's still an unproven rookie. Meanwhile Dupree has yet to show he is durable enough to play a full NFL season, and Jarvis Jones is playing elsewhere. Harrison may no longer be the player he once was, but as of last year's playoffs he could still play at a high level. Until he shows otherwise, he is a great insurance policy and they are lucky to have him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I suppose there's always a chance that you cut a 39 yr old LB. especially if you see him in practice and thing he might be done or might be injured in some way. I'd think he be given the opportunity to retire, to say, I gave it a shot, but I can't do it anymore. Sometimes Father Time shows up suddenly.

If they're thinking of cutting JH, it's likely because of what they're seeing from him, not what they're seeing from Watt or Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    They haven't seen anything from him, and they haven't asked him to do much. Unless his skills have completely fallen off the cliff, I can't imagine them cutting him. They aren't particularly deep at OLB, with Chickillo and Adams both missing practice time.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    say it ain't so Joe...

I will personally beat Colbert over the head with one arm barbell shoulder presses and post it on instagram :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you think there's another human being alive who'd volunteer to break the news to #92?

OK maybe.................... upload_2017-8-14_21-54-43.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No...No........well ,,No...............

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NO

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This.

Although it may also just be a slow news day. The article seems to be based on one thing that Joey Porter said, to the effect that they won't know how good JH is until they let him play and see it happen, but its not unimaginable that he may deteriorate at some point. Which is kind of stating the obvious, and the writer taking it the next step for a headline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder if the quote from Porter was in response to his earlier comments that Watt and Dupree were the starters. He basically said what you've said here - they don't know where he's at, because they haven't 'unwrapped' (I think he said) him yet.

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think they are cutting him, there isn't tons of depth at the OLB spots.
    Having Harrison, Moates, and Chickillo is good depth. I do think Dupree and TJ will be the starters. But, don't forget TJ is a rookie and many rookies get a little tuckered with the 1st NFL season. In college your playing 10-12 games. TJ with a lot of pre-season snaps, plus `16 game regular season and playoffs, is looking at 20 plus games. Harrison is going to see the field sometimes.

And there as yet to be a season I can remember in my 32 years of Steelers fandom, where one of the OLB didn't get dinged up a time or two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    JH is going nowhere. This guy is one of the rare players that can tell an organization when he want to hang it up. He has just became a role player. The steelers still need him and he still have gas in the tank...amazingly. This move will preserve his shelf life and provide the steelers with a great insurance backup plan

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He would still start if I am the Steelers....but there would be a slow turn to Watt once he proves game in and game out he can make a difference.....Harrison was still the best OLB on the team last year....Bud played well to finish the year...everyone else was spot duty.

If I may quote Ric THE NATURE BOY Flair....To be the man..you have to beat the man.....and Watts one preseason game is not enough to make me think he is already better than a Silverback.....The time might be coming...and it might be coming quick....but its not today,.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd say it's a perfect storm to keep JH. At his age, I'm not sure he's got the endurance to be effective as a starter all season into the post-season. At the same time, it's rare for a rookie to be effective all season long too...... so a mix of JH and Watt could help them both produce better throughout the season. The only reason I would see the Steelers cutting him, is if he comes out and says "I'm done".

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    JH isn't getting cut but he will have a reduced roll. That was the plan a couple seasons ago but ended up playing a lot more because of JJ.

However, this will be his last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    JH actually played well at the end of last season. They are resting him now. That doesn't sound like a formula to cut a guy.

Plus, it's not like we are stockpiled at OLB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    There's 2 possible scenarios

1. James goes into the season as our #1 back up at OLB / run stuffer . Possibly plays more than expected if Watt is injured or sucks.

2. James suffers an injury during pre season and retires.

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If he's cut then the Bungles will resign him to play Nose Tackle.

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They aren't cutting Harrison. No way no how. Dupree has been injured every season and Watt is unproven. Yeah Moats is having a good preseason but always does and then it goes away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pure speculation

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Moats doesn't go away during the regular season. He just isn't anything special. He's a solid backup who makes a big play here and there because he's a decent athlete and he knows what he's doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    As many have said, James is still needed, so there's no way he's going to be cut. They wouldn't be keeping him out of camp and preseason games, just to cut him. Makes no sense. Even if the Steelers wanted to move on, they wouldn't cut him, they would allow him to retire. Because you know he's not going to play anywhere else.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    one thing i did see in that first game was watt lined up as an inside backer on at least one play and dropped into coverage from that spot. maybe some experimenting going on if they have harrison and dupree on the field with watt. i just thought that was interesting. anyone else catch that? :cool:

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011