1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Matt Canada be one and done as OC with the Steelers?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 24, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Art II told them to improve the running game, yet they're still ranked last. If things don't improve Art II might retire Canada like he did with Arians :lolol:.

2. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I think they will retire Ben first, if this offense doesn't improve :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Wait. I thought Mike Tomlin was HC. Why is he not held accountable for anything?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Because………. Never had a losing season! At least for 3 months longer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Could Matt Canada be one and done?! Absolutely not. Matt Canada was not just a "Big Ben Hire". He is a hire for the future.

Again, keep a close eye on which Colleges and/or College Games Kevin Colbert goes via Twitter. Colbert already realizes that Big Ben is not going to be around for much longer. Here are the current College/College Games he has been already;

1.) North Carolina (Sam Howell)

2.) Pitt/Western Michigan Game (Kenny Pickett/Kaleb Eleby)

Small sample for sure but aspect remains the same here; draft a QB who can fit hand in glove with Canada's Offense. Matt is not going anywhere; doubly so after one mere season. Give him someone to work with before casting judgment.

As @Blast Furnace stated, I also do fear that, this is it for Big Ben. If anything, I am really starting to believe the prediction @jeh1856 gave; the fact that Big Ben may not even last until Week 6! Should that be the case..... might as well call it as I am unsure as to how Mason Rudolph can stack wins let alone light up the score sheet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Look at me!

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think I saw somewhere that the Steelers have either the fewest coaches or the least expensive coaching staff, or both. You get what you pay for. Need to get some outside blood into this organization and break the cycle that we're in where average is good enough. I have already forgotten about Canada and this new offense crap. If he cannot run the offense as the OC now, what makes it possible to run it later? If its Ben that is prohibiting Canada from doing what he was hired to do, then that is all you need to know about what this guys future is. He's weak and is being overruled by someone who technically is working for him. Still early and it will be interested to see in how this all comes out after a few more games. Also, something tells me that the ownership are big time enablers at all levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And some people get mad at me when I call the Rooney's cheap. Yeah I know they signed TJ Watt to megabucks but what about the other facets of the franchise? While many franchises don't want to be on the show Hard Knocks, the Steelers will fight it the hardest because they do not want people to see behind this Steel Curtain.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree Ben will not last the year and he will walk away.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who is the guy that wanted Canada? Was it Tomlin? Rooney? Colbert? Who is he connected to? Any help @AskQuestionsLater ?

Another quirk of the Steelers, coach Tomlin guys or ownership guys filling the ranks?

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As far as I know, it was a collective hire by all parties involved. The game itself forced Pittsburgh's hand to "modernize" their offense in a sense; more simplistic while retaining its complexity at the same time. One aspect is for certain; Big Ben played no part in Matt Canada's promotion nor hiring back in 2020.

All the more reason that, when Big Ben goes, finding the "next one" will be paramount.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The offensive play calling at the start of last season was interesting and kept opponents off balance. That wasn’t Fichtners work.

I’m optimistic about what Canada can do, but we need better consistency all round.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I am not sure we can blame Matt Canada for the issues on offence. I don’t think Ben is a good fit for what he wants to do, and the OLine is very much a work in progress (putting it kindly)

Id give him time once the offence has been built up a bit more and a new QB is in place, whoever that is. Ben was always going to revert to type and suit himself regardless of who the OC is and he is already tacitly throwing MC under the bus in interviews after two games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    colbert will probably hire a new one just before he retires next year. :cool:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember there are 5 new OL starting. 2 rookies. It is going to take some time
    for these players to adjust to playing together.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If Canada is one and done, then he would be a scapegoat for problems caused by those higher than him in the food chain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Hey here is a washed up QB that clearly should have retired and the worst OLine in football Matt! Make it work!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Look at Canada’s history, he never stays anywhere more than a yr or two. He easily could be one and done as OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They gave him a RB and two middle round OL, and forced an immobile QB who averages about 4 yards per completed target in air yards, I think Canada gets a mulligan on 2021.

If they were fair, anyway. Ben's already trying to pretend they've done all they can do and it's still not working, pleading to be allowed to run more no-huddle. He's never going to adopt a run heavy offense because he thinks it's a slight on him, which at this point is probably is, but he can't do it anymore.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They had the fewest number of assistants and quality control of all 32 teams until recently. Which means that the position coaches don't delegate quite as much and more time working with their groups. I think it can be looked at both ways "too many cooks spoil the meal" and "not enough quality interactions with individuals". I don't think its indicative of being cheap but having coaches to meet some arbitrary number isn't a good plan either

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think he’ll get a chance without Big Ben before they consider moving on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is why you guys catch so much flack. Can’t you just stay on topic? This is supposed to be about Canada, but you just gotta make it about Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Rooney told them to improve the running game the season before that also, it didn't happen. The smoke and mirrors that became 11-0 last season was the worst thing that could have happened to the Steelers organization.

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    2 GAMES... 2 GAMES... 2 GAMES...

You can save this for later in the season.....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1