1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Martavis Be Better Than AB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by C ZACK, Oct 19, 2015.

1. C ZACK

C ZACK Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Now before I get flamed for the thread title I'm just posing a question to see if anyone else is asking this same question. I know it's very early in Martavis' and AB's respective careers but I think it makes for some interesting thoughts nonetheless. I actually view AB as the best receiver in the game. Although Martavis just seems to be clutch with the chances he gets.

I'll say this though; regardless of who's "better," I hope the Steelers' front office can lock these two up for a long long time!!!

Thoughts Steeler Nation?

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Part of the reason Bryant has been so good is Brown. Brown gets double coverage.
    Bryant is good. But, he ain't a fart in the windstorm to how good Brown runs routes.
    Brown might be the best route runner I have ever seen.
    But you need two good guys. Swann and Stahlworth proved that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Different skill sets. Brown is a much better route runner and for now has arguably better hands.

Bryant has faster straight line speed. Obviously bigger and longer reach, and plays more physically. Great deep threat and redzone target.

The best part is, they compliment each other very well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yup this. Without Brown, Bryant won't be the same. Brown consistently beats double coverages, just didn't have Ben to throw it to him. With these 2, the sky is the limit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    As crazy as this thread seems, it's not without merit. Bryant is doing things few young receivers have ever done. The answer is no, though. Having MB out there makes AB's job a lot easier though.

To think there were actually people who made Sweed comparisons to him when he was drafted. :roflmao:

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i gotta say they compliment each other. MB may make AB's job easier and visa versa. wheaton could benifit from both. heath too if AV can handle the blocking duties well enough. if so we could have a 5 headed monster on offense with bell. cover that nfl. :dancing::cool:

8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He`s definitely not better, but we have a history of letting the #1 receiver walk in free agency. At least we are deep at receiver if we don`t pay the man, but I hope we can keep AB.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think they will compliment each other. It frustrates me when I see a stud #2 WR get promoted to #1 only to realize.... he can't handle the double teams and pressures of being #1. Teams always need to have complimentary WR's to take pressure off each other and the QB... give em more options.

That being said.... I only saw a flash of the replays.... but I wonder if Bryant got drug tested after the game.... 'cause he looked stoned to me :eek:

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    well

me thinks MB proved he can work with BOTH Ben and Lolandry
    SO
    I'm going with MB.

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I don't think MB is better than AB, but I was pretty happy with his play yesterday and I hope to see more like that.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Could he be better in time? Yes, he could be. The physical skills are clearly there. Will he ever be better? Probably not. The odds are stacked against him to ever reach that level because most players don't.

I gotta say though, he's still very raw and has a lot to learn. He's only going to get better

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he is better but I do think he could be. he has unlimited potential. I thought he was better than Watkins at Clemson. the only thing that can stop him is himself. same deal at Clemson. he is a kid and I hope he grows up a little bit. I also hope when it comes contract time he remembers how the steelers stood behind him. lol

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The only thing clear is that Wheaton is nowhere near as good as either Brown or Bryant. DHB has uses and I like Coates a lot. Damn good 1-5 at the position even after Sanders and Wallace left.

15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Such a hard question to answer right now. Each player definitely has some issues to address (Bryant with the off the field thing and Brown showing some on-field frustration). Both have unbelievable skills in different areas as well. Bryant being back will definitely help Brown's production again. Wheaton needs to continue to develop as well. We also desperately need to find Heath's replacement for the future.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They definitely compliment each other kinda like Optimus and Bumble ABee

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Watching that 88 yard catch and run all I kept thinking was "Dang is he fast"! He has the potential to be great and maybe even in the same category as AB right now. He has to work very hard to get there but unfortunately I don't think that he will have that required work ethic. Hope I'm wrong though.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He "could" be. Yes. "IS" he? No.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the team should be like "Uhh... yeah you're REALLY good but uhh remember that time that we didn't can you??? Well could u just maybe give us like a $20mill discount for it???" LOL!

20. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Is he better now, no. But long term he has the skill-set to be dominant, and better than AB. Let's remember, this is MB's 11th (12th counting playoff) game of his career. He's doing things in 12 games that it took AB 3 years to begin to do. So i think his ceiling is much higher than AB, just due to his natural ability. I Like AB, and will take his work ethic everyday of the week. But MB is Randy Moss like (I know...some lofty praise, but his skill-set is similar to a young Moss)....and you can't teach, or work ethic your way into that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Antonio Brown highlights against the 49ers

Could pick plenty of plays from past seasons for AB, but it was easier to use the NFL clips from week 2 of this season.
    At 0:45, he outran double coverage, and made a nice move against 3 defenders to get 15 more yards after the catch.

22. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    The POTENTIAL is there...

The kid has done some amazing things, in a very short time...

Time will tell, if he focuses on his craft, or gets caught up in being a "star"...

Don`t forget, it helps to have Ben throwing him the ball, and to have the rest of the team around him, to not let the D key on him...

Right now, Brown is much better...

Check back in a few years... He has the tools...:cool:

GO STEELERS!!!

23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The thing which separates good from great is desire to succeed IMO. There are other guys just as good as AB from a talent perspective, but I doubt there is any player in the league who wants to succeed at the level AB does. He works harder, studies more, trains harder, etc. If MB takes those lessons from AB and applies them to his own trade, the physical traits that MB possess by themselves could mean a higher potential level. Can he reach that potential....that is up to him.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:
    Yep... Lets hope he focuses on football, over partying...

One more strike, and he could be out of the game like Josh Gordon...

I`m giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he is on thin ice, with the league...

Hope he recognizes what he has to lose!!!

Talk is cheap... Actions Speak...

His actions looked good, against the Cards!!!:thumbs_up:

25. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't know but what a good problem to have as long as AB doesn't turn into Santonio Holmes