1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cotchery

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DDinAZsteel1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I know we have some real talented, young weapons at WR this year, but when we get down to the red zone, I believe we can see more success by getting cotchery involved. Ben loves the short slot pass for 10 yds in and cotchery has been there, done that for years. He is a tough dude who can help this team. Just a suggestion. Don't want Brown or Sanders getting raped or running the wrong short route due to inexperience.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That's Hines strength at this part of his career too. Cotchery will get more use soon. Especially if Sanders has to miss some time.

3. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Give it to Heath! His tall, physical and has hands as good as anyone.

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Crotchedy should be used more. He has skills and abilities and He is capable of showing up big. We have so many weapons on O that we should be scoring 40+ points per game. I'm ready for an epic arse whipping of the crap-birds. On an unrelated note, why would you call yourselves ravens? Those are some disgusting trash eating nasty birds. They are the rats of the sky.

6. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'd like to see Cotchery involved too, especially if we're missing Sanders this week. He's been a real professional since he's been healthy and recongizes that the WR position is loaded on this team and is just waiting his turn. I really hope he makes some big plays for us and think he can be a dependable red zone guy when called upon. Maybe he gets his chance this week!

7. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Just a weird gut feeling, but I see Wesley Saunders catching a red zone TD this week!!!

8. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Just for fun, how bout a red zone touch pass to Max Starks.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder if the performance against NE might draw some attention from coverage on Heath - which will hopefully free up more options elsewhere.

10. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    there named after the Poe story since Poe was from Baltimore but i get what your saying Ravens are nasty creatures and there team sucks

11. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We think alike. I thought of the same thing now that Heath had such an explosive first half against the Patriots. I think the Ravens will try to game plan for him which could leave our receivers and other tight ends open. Hopefully Ben just has the time he needs to make the plays.

12. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Exactly!!! Not mention, I don't think Steelers fans realize that Wesley Saunders is a serious talent and would have been a 1st rounder a couple of years ago until his character was called into question through some immature decisions. I happen to know someone that personally mentors him and this guy cannot say enough about what a kid good and how much on the right path he is. He will be yet another weapon for us in the near future! For now, he is doing a wonderful job playing his role on this team and he is very appreciative of that role by all accounts. Another great UDFA signing by the Steelers!

13. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There is the rub when playing against Baltimore and why the two teams match up so well. They have a great pass rush, which we aren't really built to handle that well. That makes you have to take stuff in the flats or over the middle like they did to NE, but the Ravens play that well too. Where you can beat them is attacking the secondary, but refer back to that great pass rush and things are back to equal.
    I missed the first game this year. The Steelers did move the ball before coughing it up all those times, yes? If so, how did they do it.

14. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    let's hope he catches this one. :thumbs_up:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No place for him on the field until Hines retires

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with Cotchery being able to help us out in the redzone and on the subject of Saunders you can see the potential just inhis hustle on the field.While it is true that out 4or 5 wr sets help us in moving the ball up and down the field ,it becomes a hinderance in the redzone thus our struggle when we get down there.I feel a two TE set without emptying the backfield before the snap would go a long way in opening up better throwing lanes especially to our TEs... Thoughts?

17. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    if thats the case then he is a waste of money and roster space! because we only signed him to a one year deal!

18. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Count me as stupid but I think Cotchery is gonna have an impact on Sunday.

So far he has done nothing. All the focus is on the young guns, but with Hines still ailing, I think Cotchery could move under the radar and come up big on Sunday.

He needs to do something since he has basically been getting a free ride on the bus.

rutan

19. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At the time he was signed Sanders had that foot issue. Not knowing how/when he would come back from that was probably a big driver for picking him up. Worst case Sanders has a lot of set backs and Cotchery sees a lot of playing time. Best case, he is an insurance policy that can be used at some point during the season to deal with the inevitable injuries that happen in this sport. The added bonus is its only a one year deal so they can check out how he could work out for the team w/out a long term commitment. Should it go well and Ward does retire after this year they definitely consider keeping Cotchery longer.
    I liked the signing and still do and fully expect to see him contribute at some point this year. Could very well be this week.

20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cotchery is a good player. Replacing him with Mason, at his age, was a downgrade and many Jets fans were upset with that decision.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They key to beating them is too attack and force them to play honest. Suggs is way to over aggressive when he blitzes from the outside. This can be attacked by letting him come and then running draws in the hole he left or throwing screens to RB's or the short dump to Miller. I would even suggest letting Ben take off with it a few times in that hole. I now what you are going to say, yeah but that leaves Lewis to flow to the ball negating the screen or draw or keeping it to a minimal gain. Again The key is to force them to play honest by attacking those tendencies. Lewis is going to want to cheat over to the side Suggs is blitzing on to cover the hole, yet if they force him to play honest by throwing to a slot receiver or tight end on the opposite side forcing the Lb to play coverage or give up the easy completions. If they have a game plan similar to last weeks and they attack where they know they are weak such as stopping Suggs they can make the Ravens defense look old and slow. Heck I would say they could even run the bunch formation and hit Wallace with a bubble screen if you put him behind Miller and Saunders.

23. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    i agree i like the signing too Cotchery is a good underrated WR! im just saying they should have gave him at least a 3 year deal they should have factored in Wards age!