1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cotchery Hoping For 4 Or 5 Year Deal

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep!

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't think cothchery should be too expensive , there are a lot free agent wr and the draft is deep at the position . if we gave 3 milion a year to foote we can give the same to cothchery and cut foote

3. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    define "shine". averaging two catches a game is shining?

heck, i almost "shined" in the nfl last season.

4. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I think 16 catches is amazing considering we have Wallace, Brown and Sanders not to mention Heath Miller.

People saying we should have a more balanced attack at the same time saying we need to get Miller more catches and utilize or young talent at WR. I don't see how much more production we can expect out of Cotchery.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure I would classify 16 catches and being tied for 207th in the league this season as amazing.

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If that's the case it's been fun crotchety but you got to go

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Only if it makes sense for the PGH STEELERS, I would not overpay him.

8. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    They're all limited by budget constraints. They budget a set amount of dollars at the beginning of their year and then how they apportion that dough largely determines their competitive position. They can put their money into personnel, equipment, advertising, facilities, etc. But the money is finite, and they just don't have unlimited hiring.

9. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you're comparing apples and oranges. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

10. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    He did exactly what they asked of him, and what they signed him to do. Provide depth and catch the ball when he's out there... Not every guy on the depth chart is a star, you need role players to fill their roles, and Cotch did that.

11. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, he did his job. Does that mean he deserves big money? Not in my opinion.

12. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    I might be comparing apples and oranges to a certain extent. I guess what I'm getting at is that the goals of the fans and the goals of the team owners aren't necessarily the same. The fans all want their team to become superbowl champions. I don't think that the owners necessarily want that at all. Just like corporate presidents don't necessarily want their respective organizations to become tops in their field. Some just want to make a lot of money with minimum effort/bother. My position on this was forged back in the 50's and 60's when the Steelers were the dregs of pro football. All of us fans wanted our team to be nfl champions. Years later our own Art I admitted that then that was the farthest thing from his mind.

13. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I might be comparing apples and oranges to a certain extent. I guess what I'm getting at is that the goals of the fans and the goals of the team owners aren't necessarily the same. The fans all want their team to become superbowl champions. I don't think that the owners necessarily want that at all. Just like corporate presidents don't necessarily want their respective organizations to become tops in their field. Some just want to make a lot of money with minimum effort/bother. My position on this was forged back in the 50's and 60's when the Steelers were the dregs of pro football. All of us fans wanted our team to be nfl champions. Years later our own Art I admitted that then that was the farthest thing from his mind.[/quote:fs0ij9tt]

It's hard to want to be champions when you are the dregs of pro football. You have to take baby steps.

14. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    The reason that they were the dregs in the first place was because of Art's attitude, indifference, and not wanting them to be any better. He was perfectly willing to take peoples' money for his inferior product, though. The team didn't turn around at all until he changed.

Fans need to take a buyer beware attitude and determine whether their team's owner really wants to have a winner. If not then their support would be a waste of their time, both financially and emotionally.

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    cotchery will not be more than the 4th option in our offense (5th when you factor in miller + even lower when you factor in the desire to run the ball more)........ this is a former 1,000yd. rec., who showed that he can still be very productive when given the chance.............. some team will offer him a big contract to be their #2 (houston, or arizona come to mind)........ if he gives us a major discount to stay with a proven winner, then i say sign him asap......... otherwise don't overpay.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    have you seen how many free agents wr are around ?
    http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php

17. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    He is a one-time 1,000 yard receiver (2007) and his numbers have dropped every season since. If he wasn't good enough to be a #2 WR before the Steelers signed him, I'm not sure why he would be a #2 now.

With the Steelers cap issues, I'm not sure how we can sign him even if he gives us a big discount.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't actually realise how many players were going to be FAs this year - I can't see Cotchery getting anywhere near a big contract if you factor in the likes of Manningham, Royal, Edwards, Garcon... and that's before you get on to DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe et al.

Obviously, most of these will be re-signed I think - which means that teams will be looking for cheap 3rd and 4th string receivers. In that light, Cotchery is better staying where he is. Anything else would be a move sideways.

19. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree - it's probably Hines or Crotchery. I think if we see them enter serious negotions with either one, we'll also see the other one depart.