1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cotchery Hoping For 4 Or 5 Year Deal

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Feb 13, 2012.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Good quality slot receiver. I'd sign him if reasonable.

3. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It won't be reasonable.
    He's on the high demand list as of last years performance.

4. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Would be amazing if they could find a way to keep him! From a character standpoint he is definite Steelers material and Ben seemed to have a nice chemistry with him. If they can get him 4 year at about 6 million I think they would do it, more than that and I just think they would have to let him walk unfortunately. I just remember hm raving about the difference in the atmosphere in the Steelers locker room as opposed to the Jets dysfunctional environment. I think that is definitely an intangible he will consider if money is close.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    It won't be reasonable.
    He's on the high demand list as of last years performance.[/quote:2oc76bv6]

20 catches though? Seems like he really wants to play here and is simply looking for a fair, long-term contract to stay where he likes it. I wouldn't be butt hurt if he left, but I think he brings a lot to the table and we could utilize him for not much against the cap.

6. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    depends on the money he's looking for, obviously.

he didn't exactly 'shine' last season.

don't know how irreplaceable he is. did he give us any more than cedrick wilson, quincy morgan, or any other stop-gaps have given us?

if he's looking for marquee money . . . later, cotch.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    By seeing the kind of guy he seems to be...he knows he's not a top tier WR and will not be offered top money anywhere. I'm sure he just wants his worth...if the Steelers can afford that, who knows right now. I think he can easily fill the void Hines will be leaving as that over the middle, clutch, 3rd down WR (not saying the 3 young-en's cant do that but still). I wouldnt mind seeing him around for 3-4 years. And he would be a safety net to if anyone got hurt he could easily step in.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This team is close to winning another SB, wonder if that'll come into play?

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I just hope it's a fair deal on both sides. I can't look at last year because it was his first, Ben and Ariens were looking down filed for money and being hobbled. This year should prove to be very different....

sign him please

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Only 20 catches, but he barely set foot on the field the first half of the season. After he passed Ward, and Sanders got injured, he started looking good. He had 3 TDs on scramble drills that I can think off of the top of my head. All of them looked like he and Ben were in perfect sync, like they'd been playing together for years. He's a good #3 in case of injury, and an outstanding #4. Good character and good chemistry too... I'd make an effort to keep him. I'd do 3 years for reasonable money.

Let him look around. If he sees there isn't a much higher number for him elsewhere, he may stay.

11. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why does it seem like we have so much more player swapping with the Jets than any other team in the NFL?

Coincidence?

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    4 a year for cotchery and 7 a year for wallace , could be affordable ?

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Maybe Haley can find a better use and more production from him. The predecessor OC (he who shall be nameless) sure as heck couldn't.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is what Cotchery brought to the team, for me. He locked in with Ben's extending of the plays - whether that's down to chemisty, or down to Cotchery's veteran experience, it's certainly something I'd like to see the younger receivers picking up off him.

Hpwever, that might not be his idea of how to spend the rest of his playing days - I was surprised that we got him as a no.4/5 as it was.

I wonder how much this decision might come down to what Haley promises, as well as the money.

16. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It won't be reasonable.
    He's on the high demand list as of last years performance.[/quote:gtpo5shg]

His 16 catches for 420 yards?

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's looking for a last contract most likely. he's a good receiver, but he's also going to be heading the other way in a couple of years. i don't think he had a large drawing for his services last year but he did make the most of his time here. he made some tough catches. i still don't think he will be more then a #4 if sanders stays healthy, and with haley wanting to use heath more the catches he gets will be numbered. so, what's that worth to our cap? how are his ST's skills as he gets older? :cool:

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think they make a long term deal. He's not going to be looking for big time money. 4-5 years puts him at 33-34 at the end of the contract. Honestly, I think he could be a good hines replacement. Not saying I want hines gone, but I could see Cotchery taking ward's role for the next 3-5 years as possession receiver & blocker.

19. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So, you take these guys who's contract is about up and then you design your plays so they don't get called on very often. Then when it's contract time and they ask for more money you say well look at this, your stats are down. Brilliant.

20. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I can't believe how many people talk about how Cotch didn't shine last season. Hines is my all-time favorite Steeler, but every time Cotch got on the field over him, he got looks, where Hines wasn't.

Cotch got very little playing time but was very dependable for the most part when he was on the field.

21. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry, that makes no sense to me. That would be a huge waste of a roster spot.

22. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Corporations do that all the time. I wouldn't put it past nfl owners to do the same.

23. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Do you know of any corporations that have a limit on the number of people they can hire?

24. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will get the deal somewhere...his agent also knows Ward is probably done....see what happens.

25. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    My guess is their ability to sign Cotchery will dictate what they do w/Ward. If they sign Cotch there is absolutely no room for Hines, if they don't sign Cotch than Hines is still in play and my guess in some capacity will be back come August. He probably would also want some guarantee that he could compete w/Sanders for the #3 WR...it's not like he is an also ran, the guy can make some pretty tough catches. Yes he dropped that one that may have gone the distance against the Broncos, but that TD he caught to tie it was pretty spectacular considering the shot he took.