1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cortez Allen (and why is he still playing?)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by gibson43, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    After yesterdays game against the Colts I see two players that should be on the shiat list. Allen of course but Mitchell as well. He did not have a good game either.. Going to watch the rewind today on the NFL network to get a closer look.

Mitchell has been hard hitting but I wonder if he has blown coverages as well.. Lets see what the tape shows.

2. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    We used to call him Toast!

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I may be the lone voice here but I'd keep throwing him back out there, he has the skills, let him work through it.

And I agree, Glenn, doubt he gets cut.

4. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To use a basketball analogy you shoot yourself out of a slump. I keep throwing him out there and see if he can gain some confidence and work through it. I have wondered about our secondary in general all year. It seems there is a lack of communication on the field or guys not trusting the other one on where they should be...

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I doubt he gets cut, also. I'm not sure what else to do about him though. Should they put him in the nickel? I'm cool with letting him work out the kinks in his game. However, maybe he shouldn't do it at a position from which the opposing offense can easily score. Hopefully, he redeems himself against the Ravens. A pick of Flacco would help his resume, right now.

6. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe I've seen enough to say that Tez has the goods to be a great not just good CB in this league. Right now his confidence is shot. He has to work his way through and he has to be coached up. If anyone's job is on the line its not Tez but Carnell Lake whom I'm not sure is the right guy for the job (I don't know if he is or is not btw)

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm kinda with you he has the cover skills but his ball skills are pretty bad. I think the coaches have mentioned focus being his problem and it looks like it. He is ther most times to make a play then he just freezes. You have to remember he is still very inexperienced and his confidence is shook. I don't know about throwing him right back out there because he will instantly become a target. If we can get him some nickel looks that might help him get back on track.

8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't know about on the job training at this time. We need to win games not let a sub-par player try to work out the problems in his game, which seem to be many. You can't let one player, if they are really struggling, screw up and possibly cost you a game. I'm all for giving people chances to fix their issues but you need to not do that at the expense of rhe team. If he is the best we have that is one thing. If we have someone better they should play instead. Wins are just too important to be messing around with. JMO

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    You play like you practice so I say get Allen practicing more and if he shows like he has his head in the game and focused then you keep putting him in.. But if he is not practicing well then you sit him until he is.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm also a firm believer in that. I think that's the best way to go about it. Show the coaches you want it...

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Because he has connections with the mob ...

12. SteelerNation2

SteelerNation2 New Member

Oct 27, 2014
    This! and against Antonio!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This, can't let him cost you games. Although I also think he has the skill, but now he has lost all his confidence and is playing scared and not being himself. You got to sit him and let him work it out in practice.

15. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

This exactly...and the same thing was said about Will Gay a few years ago and he has been the best CB on the team spanning back to last season.

16. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Let's all not forget that Keenan Lewis was awful until the light finally went on for him. Cortez will be fine once he gains confidence.

17. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    yes
    I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt

the man could be in a slump of sorts and adding pressure other than what he is putting on himself is not the answer

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just mean to get him some snaps, he hasnt been all bad, Colts game was by far his worst. He's had a couple good games too and a couple interceptions.

19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I hope he snaps out of it because until he does other teams are going to be testing him. Maybe just take it easy and try to get him up to where he is serviceable, I just hope he can get there quickly. If we can strengthen our weakest link on defense we should be ok, especially with this offense.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You know whats funny was the official site gave me his name as my randomly generated password back when i originally signed up!

21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    What were his good games?

22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know if he will ever be good or not. I don't know if the light will ever come on for him. I don't know if he should be benched or continue to let him gain confidence. However, I did hear that he was asked to cover someone on a couch with a blanket and missed the entire room!

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

24. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    :lolol:

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Did you see those two redskin rookie corners destroy the cowgirls passing game last night, these were not first round picks but Haslett had those kids coached up to the max and man did they perform.....