1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cortez Allen (and why is he still playing?)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by gibson43, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually think Allen will pan out before the year end but, he sure is a PITA right now

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hank Poteat?

3. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    I posted about Cortez Allen three weeks ago. He is garbage. Not saying you can't come out of the Citadel and play good ball but it is unusual.

Cortez Allen was responsible for at least 14 points to the other team.

He would not see the defensive side of the ball the rest of the year. Special teams he would stay.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dwayne Washington?

5. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Ricardo Colough?

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I was thinking this too.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While its not impossible...i tend to agree with you.

Its funny how everyone was saying how good Allen was going to be and how they wanted him signed ASAP/etc. And then he gets into a slump and now some of those same people want him gone. He is not the worse corner they've had or whatever everyone is saying. He has shown he CAN play much better than he has for a majority of this season. Hopefully he turns it around.

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing Ike has that Allen doesn't though is speed. If a guy gets step on Allen he absolutely can not recover. My favorite thing about him is that he has pretty good hands.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm gonna defend Dwayne Washington again... people forget there was a period of 3-5 years when he was actually really really good for us, and the best CB on our team. Brent Alexander had a few decent years too. I know he is a safety, but he is another whipping boy on this board.

I think Cortez has skills, it is all in his head right now. The perfect person to talk to him is William Gay and the ups and downs he has had here. Willie Gay has become a solid veteran here. Cortez needs more swagger and play more physical. There may be a few things he needs to iron out with his technique, but I think he can turn it around and right the ship.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I scratched my head at Washington's name. While I never thought of him as a pro-bowler, he was more solid than not.

I hope you're right about Allen. I really do. I hope he finds his way and becomes solid for us.

But for now, he sucks out loud and needs to ride the pine.

11. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    The fact that he keeps ending up on the field makes me think that we'll end up keeping him. When he was playing, 9 out of 10 times Luck looked and threw his way. Bob Bompiani (is that how you spell Bompiani?) said that he thought Cortez still had talent. WHERE? This kid is tall and most of the time he's in position to make a play on the ball. He just doesn't. His arms flail around like he's drowning or something. In some ways, he is. What happened to putting McCain in for him? Maybe since they're paying him all that cash (which makes me sick) they want him on the field. If he plays against Baltimore, we're screwed. Flacco will go his way all day. If I was a QB on the other team, I'd be looking for #28 for easy completions. I don't know what it's gonna take for them to bench him. How many more TD's does he have to give up? I just don't get it and it makes me really mad.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I really have to question his speed! It's ridiculous how he cannot run with anyone on the field! At least run with them and make the throw harder! If he gets in trail, he's staying there. If it's completed over him all you see is everyone else blowing by him trying to catch the receiver!

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's my assessment of him as well. He's slow.

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, he seemed step for step with his guy a few times, but the WR was winning the arm positioning battle that CB's and WR's usually play while running down field... which is weird to see a DB be soft in that regard.

Thats why he needs to play more physical and play with an edge... he is too timid right now.

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    McCain has been starting in his place and Cortez has been bumped down to 3rd/4th CB but when the other D brings in multiple WR/TE sets he will come in the game. The only time he probably won't is if they decide to completely bench him and have him inactive.

16. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The reason he is still playing is because we have the worst talent at corner in the league. We aren't aware of all the nuances behind the scenes that make them put him in over another guy but I do agree he wouldn't play for any other team in the league. Hopefully the next draft people will actually agree we should draft a top talent at corner (not that it matters what we think!)

17. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Lets Trade Archer for a dB so Cortez doesnt need to dress for the rest of 2014..

18. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was thinking his play was a slump of some kind and I tried to avoid the negative talk but his technique is poor, and what bothers me is that as soon as he goes on the field the QB automatically targets him and this happens every single time. I think all but 2 of Lucks downfield passes were to the guy Cortez Allen was on, and the only pass he defended was one the receiver dropped but he did get his hand close.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Every time! That's garbage when you're a corner. There didn't even seem to be a read before they threw his way. The inky way to fix that is for him to pick those off! I don't understand how he can lose his technique so completely.

20. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
  21. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm no film expert but I rewatched both TD's Cortez gave up and it seems like Troy jumped the underneath rout both times and Cortez was expecting help over the top? I'm not defending him because he has been terrible this season. But you have to wonder why our coaches continue to match him up one on one with the other teams top receiver. Maybe one of the film guru's on here can offer some input.

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He wasn't matched up by the Steelers. Was listening to Charlie B. and it seems that as the Colts were moving the receivers to Cortez.

23. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Good point Lizard, probably a good idea to keep him off the field so they can't do that or give him a safety that will be there to provide help over the top. Troy seems to always be late or jumping the wrong route.

24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    or lupe sanchez

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ok, so what game this season has Cortez Allen been a positive factor? I'll answer, none. Horrible is not the half of it. He is now buried on the depth chart because of his performance yesterday. Opposing teams QB's lick they're chops when he comes in the game. I'm sorry he needs to benched and kept off the field until he can contribute. And Tomlin did that yesterday. A knee jerk move locking him up to calm the waters after letting a real CB go. Eat the contract at the end of the season if he doesn't progress. 6 million roster bonus BAHAHAHAHAHA... And Dri Archer is looking like a bust at the moment, why was a CB not drafted is beyond me.

I would take Dwayne Washington off the couch right now over Cortez Allen...