1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cornerback & Safety a Priority

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Dec 31, 2023.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After watching the offensive performance the past couple of weeks, I think a 2nd shutdown CB and S is a priority going into this year's draft. MLB and DL would come 2nd. We need better play from our secondary.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Im always for that. I do not like this draft, but I would not mind if we ended up with Kinchens from Miami and Cam Hart from ND.

• Like Like x 2
  3. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Saw Cam Hart highlights and he's not afraid to tackle. good physical CB with good size. but was ranked 17th CB in draftcounddown.
    he definitely looks like a 2nd/3rd rounder.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There just happens to be one available that can play both positions
    plus can return punts. I know it is early in the process but his name is
    Cooper Dejean. Very good coaching Ferentz Western Pa old school coach.
    Cooper will be fundamentally sound.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I forgot we had Cory Trice and Darius Rush. I'm a fan of those players, those are starting corners to me, and really good ones. I do not think we need a corner in this draft if we keep those.
    But I do think we need a safety, even with Patrick Peterson and Minkah on roster.

6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    You can never have enough solid safeties and corners but to me, center is a priority in this draft. I've seen enough of Mason Cole's adventurous snaps. Maybe he'd work out as solid back-up center/guard. I don't know what his contract status is.

7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh a center is definitely needed but at what round/ value? I am
    sure our scouts are doing their due diligence to find one . What is the f/a
    Market at the center position?

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Idk, with the emergence of JPJ as a true #1 CB, I'm not against looking in the 3rd or 4th to get a slot or #2 CB. And that kinda also applies with S, I think we can find a solid Box S on day 2. I'm not ignoring those needs and if there's a CB or S in our 1st Round slot that we like, grab him. But I'm more looking at WR, DL, or OT.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    “Adventurous” is a very nice way of saying it. Definitely need an upgrade at center.

10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I like how Rowe is playing at SS and if Minkah is healthy there’s no better FS in the league. Are Kazee and Pat P. under contact next year? Or Keanu Neal? We may be set at safety if they are all under contract.

I like Trice but don’t know if or when he will be back to 100%. I liked Rush coming out in draft and thought he looked good that one game he played after we poached him from Colts practice squad, but I still want at least one corner in this draft.

11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Trice was a 7th round pick and Rush was pulled of the scrap heap. We need to solidify the back-in and stop with "patch-work". Trice might amount to something but I'm not putting my eggs in that basket.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You look at the holes and we need help in many places, depth especially. Like you C is really needed, we were devastated at MLB and it really looked like Omar had worked some magic at the start of the season. So we might have more pieces than we realize, but going to be fun seeing which direction they go in FA and draft.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I had 1st rd grade on Rush last draft and 3-4 round on Trice. Im very high on them, to me they are starters.

• Like Like x 2
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure they can count on Trice, this is like his third serious injury, I hope he can recover and contribute.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Kazee, Peterson, and Neal all signed two year deals, but that doesn't mean they will all return next season.

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Trice's injury history is the reason we were able to get him in the 7th.... if he stays healthy next yr then he's absolutely a steal, but we can't bank on that.... we can hold off on S for a yr if we keep Peterson back there full time with Minkah..... outside of CB, we really need to shore up the ilb rm, get a mauler at RT so we can move BroJo back to the left where he belongs.... and replacing Mason Cole is an absolute must

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They need a long-term answer at safety, but corner and center are much higher priorities right now. Rush is barely playing even with all the injuries and Trice can't stay healthy, so I can't imagine counting on either of them. I could see them taking a corner in the first round and a center in the second. Of course, free agency will affect what they do. Maybe they sign a veteran center. That said, I'm not sure there is a bigger priority than getting Cole out of there.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    All the Defensive help in the world isn't going to keep whomever is under center in 2024 any safer. Mason Cole is a liability and Dan Moore is another classic case of Tomlin severe loyalty to vets. Broderick is playing in the wrong spot and must be placed back as a Left Tackle... NOW.

To that end, go heavy on the Offensive Lineman in 2024. Taliese Fuaga or Amarius Mims are the Teo most realistic Right Tackle options in the upcoming draft for the Steelers. As for the Centers?! Jackson Powers Johnson, Zach Fraizer or Sedrick Van Pran. Should the team elect to nab another big corner like Cam Hart sooner than later?!... see to it that said Corner is a good value pick.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Connor Williams from the Dolphins will hit free agency this year. He tore an ACL in week 14. No bueno. Andre James of the Raiders, Lloyd Cushenberry III, Broncos, Aaron Brewer, Titans and Tyler Biadasz, Cowboys are the other leading free agent centers. Cushenberry is the youngest and his projected cap hit is $14.5 million. The rest are projected between $6 to $8 million.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I feel like we invested quite heavily in the line and 77 aside, it hasn't worked out at all. Time to rebuild the line again. Cole has to go and so does Moore. Seamalu has been the biggest whiff for me, I thought we were getting a stud.

Obviously ILB as always is a need as so is the secondary. Two areas we just cannot seem to solve The secondary has been a weakness since the peak Polamalu years.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I hope you are correct, but all season on another forum people have been saying Trice will be great, blah blah. He may be, or even a good starter, or even a decent depth piece, but this is all said for a guy that will be coming off a 2nd acl, never even played an NFL game, even in preseason. So the diligence is finding a guy who can hopefully be one of those and see what Trice brings. if it works we are perhaps finally set in the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    don't draft the Alabama center :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed on the DBs. Although I don't agree on the center, and only because I don't think there is a center worth a 1st round this year. 2nd round yes. So use the 1st on a CB, or Safety. JMO

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    F No when you can't complete the most important thing a center must do. You better keep practicing hard
    or switch positions.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I was thinking the same thing as I watched that game.

• Agree Agree x 1