1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Consistency

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey Guys, this board looks great by the way. I am Scrap264 from the other board, dont know if any of you guys recognize me but been on that board for years and years but my posting problems existed from the day I signed up, I figured out a little log out/refresh/log back in trick that would allow me to post and reply but I had to do it each time i posted. And now since the big widespread posting problem I have been unable to do even that so I am here to stay as well and you guys will hear alot more from me.

Anyways, I want to talk about about our Steelers consistency. It seems to me that you NEVER know which team will come out. This team has like a total "split personality" disorder. Whether its play-calling, execution or just drive and passion... it seems this team either performs amazing looking like the best team in the league beating their opponent and seemingly every category or they look totally flat and uninspired and get beat by teams we know we are better than.

What is causing this? Is it leadership on the field? Coaching? Is it our aging players? A curse?! Maybe a combo of all. I don't have the answers but I hate the feeling of starting a game and you are just sitting there waiting to see the first series which will usually tell you what kind of game it will be. Does anyone else feel this way? Some games you even get a mixed bag... example, last Sunday. We looked like a champion team the 1st half and a struggling team the 2nd. Just a total 180.

Now I don't follow the other teams nearly as much as the Steelers so I do not really know if there are alot of teams that do this but I know the Steelers do and I just want to know why? What causes it to happen?

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey Scrap welcome to the MB for the fans by the fans. TTF did a fantastic job of putting this together for us!

The inconsistency from this team is a major problem. As you stated, it's not just game to game but in game inconsistency as well.

I think that there's a few factors at work here.

1. Injuries- This team has had alot of injuries, especially to the offensive line. These injuries haven't only been from game to game but during games too. It seemed like last week the "O" was rolling until Legursky was injured then it was all downhill.
    2. Lack of OTA's and TC- I know, I know it was the same for all teams but this team is built on continuity and familiarity. It's a veteran group that was not allowed to work out the kinks physically before the season. Add to that the jostling across the O-line and I think that caused some problems.
    3. Lack of adjustments- We do what we do is a battle cry throughout this Organization. The league has changed before our eyes. Less hitting, more throwing, more fines. I think that maybe there's been some hesitancy to "do what we do" ie. hitting and that has caused some problems as well.

These are some of the reasons I see for the inconsistent play. Maybe they're just excuses, maybe not but that's what I see.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome scrap, I remember you from the old board sure. Same exact thing happened to me, thats how I used to have to post and then even that didn't work after the recent board crash. This place is a million times better then that pos board.

Anyway, you are totally right, very inconsistent and it's maddening :banghead: On Jim Rome, Ben said they are still trying to figure out their idenity :scratch: better hurry up Ben, season is half over. I expected such great things from this offense before the season started, it's disappointing to say the least. Each week I keep hoping this is the week they put it all together, still waiting. I know the injuries have a lot to do with it and the o-line is worse then ever but still, they look great one minute and crap the next. See what happens this week.

4. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd like to see this team get back to the philosophy of putting a team away with the clock rather than the scoreboard. Look at the record under "the Jaw" when the team was ahead by 10 or more points in the second half. Sometimes, when you have a lead, two or three first downs can be as effective as a long strike touchdown.

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed... to a point.

We don't have a punishing ground game anymore. We haven't since 2004. And the rules make passing too easy in today's NFL. In short, it would be very difficult just grounding out the clock and clinging to a 10 point lead for a whole half. Those days are gone.

That doesn't mean we can't bleed the clock for everything it's worth. But we should still be trying to score.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    it's all about our offensive line , when they open holes we run and can do some play action ,when they get beat at the los we have a lot 3and out and our defense get gassed .

7. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I knew the fact that we don't have the same ground game as we use to would be brought up. I agree totally. I still think that if the O-line and backfield had the mindset to go out and knock some defenses around they would be pretty capable. They have shown their ability in a couple of games already. Maybe this doesn't work against every team. Some run defenses would probably be able to slow Mendy and Red down pretty well. But against weaker teams I still give the ground game edge to the Steeler offense. Its tough to watch them go out with a 2 score lead in the second half and pass on two of the first three downs.