1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congratulations Brees!

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by santeesteel, Dec 16, 2019.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Most TD passes! Passed Peyton tonight.
    Good thing the Chargers got rid of THAT scrub! His shoulder will never be the same!

• Like Like x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I do like Brees. Should have had another shot last year for a Ring. Stupid refs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Glad for him! A lock for Canton for certain. Now the big question remains for him. When does he decide to hang up the cleats?!

Should he retire the same year Ben does, Drew Brees should get the nod over him. Sacrilege I know but Brees has done far more than Ben has. He also has a ring and could potentially get another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben has him in SBs & in win %.
    Ben .666
    Brees .592

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is fantastic, what a competitor. 40 years old and
    still spinning it with ease.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Does not matter. Joe Namath's win % and Jim Kelly's lack of SBs make that irrelevant I am afraid. Matters just as much how long you have been dominant than simply having a high winning percentage and/or rings.

Brees has multiple records under his belt. Assuming he plays until he and Ben retire together, Brees is likely to own just about 50% of the NFL Passing Records. This is also before accounting for the fact that he has had success in the Playoffs and has a ring.

Ben has some records for certain but not to the level that Brees has. This is sadly accounting for Ben's off the field issues. Fair or not, that is what Canton now uses.

Examples?! Why did it take Terrell Owens so long despite he was behind Jerry Rice in major statistical categories at the time?! What about Charles Haley?! He has five rings but did not sniff Canton until 2015.

Sad but true, Canton has accepted the modern PC paradigm of today. Players with huge baggage are likely not making it in if another contemporary is also on the ballot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben probably gets in on his first ballot. Most likely imo.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    rings and wins are irrelevant if I am judging QB play. Ben had great defenses to win some of those. Brees is far superior and you know who I am biased towards.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm just stating that Ben will get in on his first ballot whenever Brees decides to retire. Also someone slammed my favorite QB ever to play the game. :beee:

Brees has had a offensive guru most of his career padding his stats for him. :nono:

Big Ben is turning into Brees slinging it 1000 times a season.:eek:

I like Brees but the Aints are disappointing so I like to remind people how run of the mill they are. :shrug:

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Jim Kelly's lack of SBs? Going to 4 got him in.
    Brees been dominate? Sure it's not just 4-5 years? Look at his record. Took ALOT of pass attempts to finish 7-9 when you have no defense. Lots of passing stats < winning
    Back at ya aql. ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    You’re not wrong but it’s not his fault his defenses sucked lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ve always said this. Ben can play horrific or he can play absurd any given Sunday. Hence why he has those multiple high pick games and also those 5+ td games nobody else has.

I love Ben and miss him lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    D. Brees - about 610 attempts a year

Who is closest to that outrageous #?
    Is he in the hof?

Big Ben - about 500 attempts a year & climbing (he's padding his own lately)

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, however many pass attempts is irrelevant in terms of what Brees has accomplished in his career overall. So long as those passes he throws are passes capable of being caught by his receivers and therefore amounting to either yards and touchdowns, it is all the same. For that matter, you just said it yourself; Brees throwing that much towards a 7-9 record should illustrate just how he was able to not just have success but keep his team competitive WITHOUT a defense.

One quick point of order, when did I ever slam Big Ben?! Fair or not, that stigma with Ben regarding those allegations will follow him wherever he goes sadly. I do not like it any more than anyone else as he was NEVER convicted. That said, the perception has been set in stone within the NFL Community; fair or not.

In addition and, most importantly, when did I ever say Big Ben was not worthy of being in Canton to start out with?! Again, his timing in my opinion will dictate whether or not he goes in on the first ballot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Big Ben - 10 playoff appearances
    5 AFCCG
    3 SBs

D. Brees - 7 playoff appearances
    3 NFCCG
    1 SB (got lucky)

Both have been durable

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bens induction will not depend on Brees, that is my argument. We have a difference of opinion & I am attempting to make some valid points I hope. No, you didn't slam him, I like being in Ben's corner.
    Bens play on the field will trump the rumors imo.

Edit: I don't blame the defense for Ben's lousy years. He didn't get it done.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We shall agree to disagree then! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Congrats Brees
    Win another one Ben
    :steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The Romo years were rough...lol

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    See my name

:bowdown:

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Off topic. BBH not sure but I'm guessing you get the Dallas TV stations as I get the Philadelphia TV stations. It's a nightmare here. Not as bad as the Super Bowl year but it's getting annoying. I hope you're enjoying all the excitement for the Cowgirls. This Sunday they are hands down my second favorite team for the day.

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    F no lol. Eagles have 1 ring vs cowboys 5. Cowboys have beaten us in the Sb while eagles haven’t. Eagles aren’t America’s team so you don’t get that crap shoved in your face either.

23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    You do have a point. I'd probably have to move if the Eagles had the Cowgirls history.

I'd like to wish you luck tomorrow but it would be a lie. Me and a Washington Redskin fan will sit silently in the back of room Sunday full of eagle fans pulling hard as hell for the Cowgirls. He hates both Cowboys and Eagles but lives here so has to take one for the team. He'll be all decked out in his Washington Nationals gear.

• Like Like x 1