1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Mike Hilton!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Dec 27, 2017.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    AFC defensive player of week.

Pretty good for a practice squad guy. Well deserved!

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's Troy 1.5, when it comes to hanging around the LOS Now if Troy can teach him how to jump over the centre we may have something in the making.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A diamond in the rough...

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that's awesome, nice work Hilton!!! The NFLs version of a windfall gain. And in an area we needed some help too.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep that motor rising, you will succeed!

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I’m glad he’s on our side!

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Congrats, kid has been playing his heart out all season, keep it up young man. :towel:

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Have to admit, I had very little knowledge of Mike Hilton's background or how or when the Steelers acquired him. Here are some interesting (and ironic) Wiki-factoids about Hilton. Anyone remember he was a dreaded Pat for 8 days in 2016? Gotta pick that kids brain before the AFCCG!

Hilton began attending the University of Mississippi in 2012. He made his collegiate debut in Week 2 after sitting out the Rebel's season-opening 49-27 victory over Central Arkansas. He earned his first career tackle and finished with two as Ole Miss loss to Texas. On October 6, 2012, Hilton made his first career start as the Rebels' dimeback, finishing with three solo tackles, a forced fumble, and made his first two career sacks on Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

Hilton was given #38 in 2015. This number is only given to a select player who embodies the spirit of former defensive back Chucky Mullins, who became paralyzed in 1989 after making a tackle head first and shattered four vertabrae in his cervical spine.

Jacksonville Jaguars

On May 1, 2016, the Jacksonville Jaguars signed Hilton as an undrafted free agent. On August 29, 2016, the Jacksonville Jaguars released Hilton as a part of their final roster cuts.

New England Patriots
    On September 6, 2016, Hilton was signed to the Patriots' practice squad. He was released by the Patriots on September 14, 2016.

Pittsburgh Steelers
    On December 13, 2016, Hilton was signed to the Steelers' practice squad. Hilton spent the remainder of his rookie season on the Steelers' practice squad and didn't appear in any game in 2016. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Steelers on January 24, 2017. He reunited with his former teammate Senquez Golson whom he played with and backed up at Ole Miss.

Hilton entered training camp competing with William Gay and Senquez Golson for the job as the starting nickelback. Hilton was named the starting nickelback to begin the regular season.

He made his regular season debut during the Steelers' 21–18 season-opening victory over the Cleveland Browns and finished the game with two combined tackles.The following week, he earned his first career start and collected nine combined tackles during a 26–9 victory over the Minnesota Vikings. On October 1, 2017, Hilton made four solo tackles, earned his first career sack, and made his first career interception off of Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco during the Steelers' 26–9 victory. On November 16, 2017, he made his second start of the season and recorded six combined tackles and intercepted a pass by Marcus Mariota In their 40–17 victory over the Tennessee Titans on Thursday Night Football. In Week 16 on December 25, 2017, Hilton recorded six solo tackles and three sacks on Houston Texans' quarterbacks T. J. Yates and Taylor Heinicke during the Steelers' 34-6 victory, earning him AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Thanks good stuff there a true diamond in the rough, I as well knew nothing about him. Every time he made a play this year I was like I never heard of this guy.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We coulda been playing vs him lol. He’s our best corner... I said it

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    some more facts about hilton that i had been posting since camp. i knew he was pretty good from watching him at ol miss. he played every DB position there. he was just small. when we scouted golson we had to see this kid too. heart, fearless and football smart, thats a good combination.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1