1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Coach Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    There are far worse HCs, for sure, but Tomlin lead teams lack playoff upside. I see enough dumpster fires to know Tomlin is "solid" and maybe "steady", but that's hardly glowing endorsements.

Other coaches are probably laughing hysterically right now at the "love" Tomlin is getting just being a "non-loser". Great. Fabulous. Give him a participation trophy and a spirit award, which of course are both tiny, made of plastic and condescending (as they should be). If you win either of those, you aren't remotely likely to get the only trophy anyone actually cares about, given out after some bowl thing is played (I remember those, been a long time).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No. I try to keep phoney people out of my life.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe because your threads are crap

• Like Like x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually I went back and started with your first post August 1, 2016 and I can’t find a single post where you were right

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Remember his snyder’s plane is in Pittsburgh and the only possible reason is Washington is trading for Tomlin?

• Like Like x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    common sense is less common than one might think

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am confused as to what the goal is. Can you define? Thanks. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He still needs to go away. Take your winning seasons goal and tell the Steelers players of the 70s that this is what we strive for. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    MT will never sniff another SB

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The goal is to win the Super Bowl

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I skipped through a lot of this but will step in for a second. Great effort by the coach to get the team to 9-8, he got the players to keep battling. Personally, I just don't believe he can lead us to another Super Bowl. For my son who is 15 I hope I am wrong and he can watch them win a Super Bowl like I was able to do for 6 of them and I can see it with him. I so much want him to have that feeling. I just have seen our teams come out and not seemingly be ready to play in the playoffs or in regular season lose against teams we should dominate. Can he put everything together and create an environment where undisciplined play is not tolerated and the every player on the team is TEAM first and not me first. I really hope I am wrong I really do. I will always root for the Steelers and put so much emotion into a game which is crazy but I can't help it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Actually, what has been written is that McVey is contemplating whether he still wants to coach, not that the Rams are considering getting rid of him.

14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just to add, the Steelers kept their streak of not finishing last in their division alive since 1988. In fact, I read someplace that since Cleveland has been resurrected as a team, they have never finished ahead of the Steelers in the division.

15. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    damn just finished the game and no way am i going to read 9 pages. but even though i knew the scores of the others games and steelers weren't going to the playoffs, i wanted this win just the same.

congrats tomlin!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Back to the future!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I see things much differently.

I watched the final seconds tick off the clock that brought the end of the Steelers 2022 NFL season, a season that would end with a nice victory at home over the Cleveland Browns but also end with no playoff appearance as the scoreboard glared a Miami win over the Jets.

The 2022 season was quite the roller coaster ride. I would say without hesitation, that after watching Ben Roethlisberger walk off the field for the last time after the 2021 Wild Card game, 2022 would be most definitely a step into uncertainty. I could almost hear Bob Dylan crooning ‘Changes, they are a coming.’

Front office changes, a flurry of Free Agents, a draft that wasn’t quite what I expected, a 2-6 start, tragic death of a hometown legend and hero, and so much more fueled a wild ride that ended in an impressive 7-2 finish which secured Head Coach Mike Tomlin’s 16th consecutive non-losing season, despite all the uphill challenges.

The Steeler’s have found a successor to Roethlisberger in Kenny Pickett. The rookie has that game factor that when it is on the line, he makes the plays that count. Helping him out is a super star in the making, George Pickens who looks to add his name to a list of historic Steelers wide receivers. Pickens makes those impossible catches possible. The Pickett to Pickens connection could be destined for history in my opinion.

The next steps will be to figure out how to get this team to level up, to be able to run consistently with the big dogs like Buffalo and Kansas City. I don’t want to wax poetic about the ‘how to’ as it is far too soon and, in the NFL, things can change quickly. I prefer to wade into the waters of the offseason with a cautiously optimistic, metered approach.

My days of breaking insider tidbits are done. Every reporter and every fan has a Twitter account. Teams have their own guys to break these things. I’ve never really felt the need to be the ‘twitter bug’ as I am not a fan of knee jerk reactions and prefer to at least do some analysis first. In fact, during the off season I cut way back in commentary as I watch the pieces come together.

I am eager to see how the Front Office, Scouting, and Coaching address the needs this offseason. I see some tweaks in coaching, some dabbling in the first round of free agency, and good draft plan and some tweaking in the last free agency round, combined with building off what they already have, a potential for a very good 2023 season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You people act like you’re making some grand proclamation with this stupidity. There are teams that have never won a Super Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And just like every year, some Jabroni will be on here telling us how the Browns are going to be good this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Browns have not finished with a better record than the Steelers in 33 years.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Seems like more an indictment of how bad the brownies suck than an indicator of how good the steelers are/were. Much like the never-had-a-losing-season stat, finishing better than the brown stains isn't the measuring stick for success.

22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Amazing how people are proud to be better than the Browns…

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hilarious

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Solid and steady is the definition of the Steelers as a franchise. I would hate for this team to become an unstable mess like some other teams around the league. See the Rams as exhibit number one.

What coaches do you suggest would be laughing at Tomlin?

I think your philosophical approach to sports is wrong. IMO.

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember a time when fans said the same thing about Cowher.