1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Coach Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    1. There are plenty of examples of NFL coaches with top QB's that couldn't produce a winning season. Let's not forget that while Tomlin did inherit a team that won a Super Bowl, but he also he got them coming off an 8-8 season. It's also a team that got hot at the right time in 2005 as they were 7-5 and in danger of missing the playoffs before they went on their streak and won the Super Bowl as a #6 seed, which no one saw coming that year. So it's not like he inherited a power house like the Patriots

2. He will never be fired. He will resign or retire when he is done. Now that may come as a suggestion from ownership but this dream some "fans" have that there will be these press conference where Rooney says "You're Fired" is never going to happen. Tomlin will go out on his own terms, I'd put money on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    If you thought I was rambling it went over your head. Tomlin didn't praise the coaches on his staff who were better at their jobs than he was at his own- he fired them.

NFL voters praised Arians awarding him 2x Coach of the Year Awards; Tomlin lied about Arians "retiring."

You want for Tomlin what he did not give to others.

Get it?

If you don't want to be called a "Tomlin apologist" don't bring up the Super Bowl he won 13 years ago with Lebeau's defense as an instant response to the past 11 seasons of underachieving.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    More random ramble

Again you made my point

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Actually, he was a Colbert player as that is who drafts the players.

EDIT: I take that back, Colbert wasn't the GM in 2006

So whoever drafted him in 06, could have been Cowher since I'm not sure if he had GM powers that that point or not.

Holmes was good, but was also a **** up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    You included some Brady Effect crap. Just pointing out that the Steelers set that bar before Brady was out of diapers.

6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    1. You complain Cowher didn't hand Tomlin a powerhouse, well I guess Tomlin should have built one then. Wow.

Imagine if a HC took over next year and read your comment about how all Tomlin got was a HOF QB and an all-time great defense.

The reason the Steelers went 8-8 in 2006 is Ben had a serious head injury in the offseason and started with a 1-6 record while playing the worst football of his career. That makes the whole team average? What?

2. Tomlin will not be re-signed. He hasn't won a playoff game in 5 seasons- not the first time that has happened.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I sure did as the vitriol towards the likes of Cowher then subsequently Tomlin has grown along with his success. Again, that is the tweet's point of context.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The first year they got Timmons and Woodley, the Steelers don't win that Super Bowl in 2008 without Woodley, he had 2 sacks in every playoff game that year :shrug:. He also isn't the GM, so that's on Colbert to acquire the talent.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Common sense is not all that common it appears.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Nope. I complimented Tomlin. I have no problem giving him credit for continued regular season success. I don't think there is a more entertaining team in the NFL.

I never complain when I watch games because my expectations are limited to entertainment and regular season success.

I have a problem with other Steelers fans gatekeeping criticism of Tomlin with "But he won a Super Bowl 13 seasons ago."

• Like Like x 1
  11. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Tomlin was on the job about 2 months he had zero input on that draft. Without the other 17 cowher pro bowlers they don’t win the super bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    7-5 in danger of missing the playoffs. Really the only reason that was true is Ben hurt his knee and the Steelers lost abou 3 games and had a couple games coming up against tough opponents. They stuck Ben in before he was ready and lost one more. I believe Ben only lost like 3 regular season games that year. One of those three was because the team couldn’t win without him. As far as your 8-8 “they weren’t a power house Ben almost died you twit! In Ben first two seasons he lost 3 regular season games. They were a power house until Ben almost DIED

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The team just swept the Ravens, and are possibly in the playoffs this is what you're focused on :facepalm:, nobody gives a crap he won the Super Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Today, yet again, it should be obvious even to the most clueless that as long as we have Ben, there’s a shot! Even when he’s bad, we’re good. With that said I do give credit to Tomlin. He was smart enough to know that and capitalize on it.

upload_2022-1-9_15-10-53.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Tomlin haters gonna hate

Tomlin could lead the team to a 17-0 record and win the Super Bowl and they would still want him fired.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am hard on Tomlin a lot but if this ragtag bunch makes the playoffs it is a big accomplishment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, no. That wouldn't happen.

But he can have 5 losing seasons in a row and some here would still call anyone criticizing him a hater.

No. I don't think that will happen. But if you can use hyperbole, so can I. ;)

18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Congrats Ben for never having a losing season in 18 seasons?

• Like Like x 3
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There were some ugly wins, and ugly losses this season, but they swept the Browns, Ravens and are still in the playoff hunt :herewego!:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some aren’t going to like this but going to the playoffs with this offense and Ben a shell of himself, thats a hell of a job by Tomlin.

I just hope this doesn’t mean that there won’t be some coaching changes now. Still want to see a new OC, DC and line coach. Go outside the organization. Hell, could be big changes at Denver, lure Munch back.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    - There is a 100% chance there will be a new line coach. Maybe not from outside the organization.
    - There is a 50% chance they go with a new DC
    - I think there is a 5% chance they go with a new OC. I think they will give Canada a chance with a more mobile QB and a better oline before they can him.

The only chance Munch comes back to the Steelers is if the Steelers organization moves to Colorado.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Congrats to Tomlin on a well coached game today. Congrats to the players for making enough players to get us the win.

• Like Like x 2
  23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Barry Switzer

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That was Art that retired BA. Tomlin told him prior to that his job was safe.

Then Art steered him towards Haley.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not if, when