1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

concerns heading into the season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow your going to 3 games.. you must live close by

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Since you blame Tomlin for the losing, will you give him credit if they win? This teams talent isn't as good as you seem to think it is, they're in a transition phase. They have probably the worst collection of CBs in the league.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course I'll give Tomlin credit for winning. He's the Head Coach. If they win he'll get credit and if they lose he'll take much of the blame. Like it or not, that's the reality of the N(ot)F(or)L(ong).

But it's really not that simple in my mind. In spite of what you believe, I'm not a FMTI proponent but I do have some legitimate concerns about his abilities as a HC. He's got some good qualities but I remain skeptical of his abilities to take a young team and coach them up to the next level. I'm not optimistic that he can go head to head with the best coaches in this league and win the gridiron chess matches on a consistent basis. I'm concerned that the team is not responding to him the way they maybe once did and that he doesn't elicit the kind of reverence and respect that the elite coaches demand. I'm not going to say Tomlin won early with Cowher's team, but he did have several solid veterans in their prime who took on much of the leadership duties on this team. He's got a franchise quarterback in the prime of his career and he's managed to coach the team to mediocrity the last three seasons. There are games the team just doesn't seem prepared to take the field.

It's time Tomlin takes the bull by the horns and makes this unmistakably his team! He's going to get the chance to do that because he works for the most patient ownership in the league, but I'm concerned about his ability to do so. All of this doesn't mean that I'm anti-Tomlin, I'm not. I just have these nagging doubts that I just can't shake.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Most teams would have quit on their coach if they didn't revere and respect him and not gone 6-2 to finish the season.

12-4 is mediocrity :scratch:

Yea, I know, they lost to Tebow but weren't the only team too, Denver was in the playoffs after all.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Also, in fairness our 2011 playoff team entered that Denver game decimated by injuries, and then suffered even more during the game. Yeah I know, next man up blah blah. In the salary cap era it's easier said than done.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Where you been, Blast? I've been worried about ya! ;-)

I'm mostly referring to the last couple of seasons, but we were a mediocre team heading into the playoffs in 2011 and a less than mediocre QB exploited that. And Tomlin deserves some credit for holding the team together the second half of last season, but he also deserves the blame for the pitiful start. Which Tomlin will show up this year? Stay tuned...

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We went w/ Wing for the real deal? Seriously?

Who's our BU snapper Prayer?

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no punts and go fer two.:smiley1::cool: