1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Completely Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, keep in mind this is only hypothetical.

Lets say Ben does not return to form this season, and the team just keeps faltering.
    Ben will retire after the season if this happens. With the way the team is playing i think they would end up around 8-8 missing the playoffs, if this scenario happens.

If this all happens i believe the Steelers should package AB with their 1st round choice to move up and select a QB in the top ten.
    Be it rosen, allen, darnold i dont care.

Here is why. AB is not going to be happy catching balls from a rookie who cant get him his numbers.
    He will cause a distraction, and perhaps impede development of the QB, because he will feel pressure to get him the ball rather then making the right play.
    Let Ju Ju who is only 20 grow with the new QB and become a good QB WR connection, also keep Martavis who is 25 to grow with him too.
    Also, Sign Leveon to a new contract. He will take the load off the new QB the first couple years. Plus he is only 25 as well, and with Bens contract off the books we can afford his contract.

Do you think if this happens and we are 8-8 picking around 15th in the draft, will AB and our first pick be enough to get us in the top ten for one of these QB's? Is it a good move?

Of course if you think Dobb's is the future then scratch the whole idea.

• Like Like x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I think it’s a bit of a stretch on your part to say AB is going to be a distraction just because Ben isn’t there. With that being said no, I wouldn’t trade away the best receiver to move up. If Ben continues to play this way 8-8 is a pipe dream. To be honest a small part of me hopes we tank this season just to be able to grab a couple missing pieces. Hopefully that includes a a franchise qb. You have to remember the odds are against us in achieving the goal of getting a franchise qb. It just isn’t that easy. There are far more 1st round bust quarterbacks than true franchise quarterbacks.

3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Rather than repeat it, I copy and pasted this from another thread earlier in the day...

4 names come to mind. Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, Alex Smith, and AJ McCarron.

I think Smith stays in KC.

Cousins who will be a UFA wouldn't come cheap, but it's not like the Steelers don't already have $23M earmarked for Ben next year already. Letting Bell walk and going with Conner and picking up a player off of the scrap could make him affordable.

I really like how McCarron played in Dalton's absence two years ago. Im a fan. He'll be a RFA and even if Cincy places a 1st round tender on him, he may be worth it considering you know what you're getting with him plus he has NFL experience, and IMO is better than possibly reaching for a QB in the draft.

Garoppolo is interesting. It's not being talked about much, but the Pats are at a crossroads this offseason. A HUGE crossroads. Garoppolo was a high pick and he's been sitting for 4 years. He's going to want his shot to start. Do the Pats move on from Brady, or do they stick with him and let Jimmy G walk for what may be only another year or two of Brady? Which, if it's the former and you think about it, brings Tom Brady's name into the mix. Interesting indeed....:hmm:

I know that it has been proven time and time again that SB winning QBs are drafted and not signed via free agency or trade. Peyton Manning being the obvious most recent exception. But IMO this team is different as it is built for now and they can't afford to develop a rookie, nor can they afford taking a crap shoot in the draft and possibly over reaching out of desperation. I think the answer lies in one of these four, maybe five if you want to entertain the thought of possibly pursuing Brady in the above scenario.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just a bit of info related to the OP's suggestion- If AB is traded after the season, his dead cap money is $15.2 million against the cap in 2018. That's less than his current 2018 cap hit of $17.675 million, but there would only be $2.475 million in cap savings by trading him - and we would then have to replace him with a bona fide #1 receiver.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    AB is whiny when he doesnt get his targets but I wouldnt call him a distraction.

TO, Moss, those type of guys are distractions.

I wouldnt do that deal.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If Ben retires. Steelers might go after Kirk Cousins. Redskins can't tag him anymore after this year. He will be 30 in August of 2018.

Tomlin has always been a cousins fan boy too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you're on a roll here Mr Biz - but why stop with the QB's - let's go all out and drag Belichick and his creative staff with them for the Trifecta. I'm pumped (which comes in handy when you're draining the swamp). :thumbs up:

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Elvis, you're the Omar Khan of TSF. :lolol:

9. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Lol, he said hypothetical, so let's go with it. Let's figure out a way to do a whole franchise swap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I wish I could take the credit! Spotrac.com is a great source.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm a Cousins fan too

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Garropolo or Cousins would both be good options. A first round draft pick is a total toss up. Good thing we have the best WR in the game and the best RB too

13. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    If we're going hypothetical here, why not see who Indianapolis likes less between Brissett and Luck? Luck is the superior QB, but he just can't stay healthy behind Indianapolis's lousy line. Do I think there'd be any shot that Indy would trade Luck? No. But it's fun to speculate.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dump haley. draft luke falk. get an OC that can work with him and use his strengths and our players strengths to achieve our goal. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If anyone gets packaged and dealt, it should be Bell. AB might never get a Gatorade endorsement, but he comes to play and is the closest thing to a leader that we have on offense.

Bell frees up a ton of money and Connor looks like he is ready to carry the load.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Bell would cost the team zero money next season. First the front office will have to dole out the franchise tag on Bell again. Then he can be traded.

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I was already thinking about this but was going to wait until the season ended. But Bell, Brown, and Bryant are all expendable. I don't know his off the field situation but from what I see on the field, I'd be inclined to keep Bryant out of all of them. There's no point in moving on with Landry Jones and AB. Look how he's acting with a HoFer throwing him the ball. AB is cancer to this team and locker room. I still believe his stunts the last few years is why Bell held out this year.

Ideal world, trade AB/2nd round for 1st pick and Bell/1st round for 2nd pick. Go get your QB and Barkley. Defense is young and will have 2-3 years on the offense. Gives them a couple more years to gel so maybe in year 2 or 3 with the new offense we will be a legit contender. There's no point in trying to string this along with a whiny RB and WR. Not winning a Super Bowl in this era without a top tier quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I really like Kirk Cousins.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    With Brady's age, I don't see them letting Garoppolo go at this point

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I think if Ben retires we go to FA then the draft for a QB. Too many weapons to turn this offense over to a rookie. If Ben retires I could honestly see Cousins coming here. It’s a place he can step right in and win. Any of the FA QBs next year would jump at the chance to take the helm of this offense.

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Give Cousins Ben's money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    You do know that AB, happy or not, with or without Ben, is under contract long term for quite a while, I don't see any of this being any more than pure speculation...... so you'd rather trade away a proven WR for an unproven rookie with few WR options..... that never seems to work out for Cleveland.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Put me down for Cousins as hypothetical option #1 as well. He's a legit quality starter already, and I think he and AB would rock together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    What are the cap implications if Ben does retire after this season?

25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Can they afford to keep him? He's a UFA at the end of the year. He's going to want to start or at least the chance to start and the compensation that goes with it. And he's proven enough to get it. And while that may not be proven enough to get the $20M+ payday of an elite QB, he's at the very least a $10M/yr guy. If you were the Pats would you shell out that kind of dough for a back up for 2 or 3 years? If you are Jimmy G and a competitor at the highest level, would you accept that to sit on the bench? The Pats have a HUGE decision to make at the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1