1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Offseason Roster Plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Would love to get both Ingram and Johnson as FA

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read somewhere, on one of the so called rating sites, that James was the 11th best "edge rusher". Considering there are about 62 to rate, that isn't bad for an old fart.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Or it isn't good for the young ones. LOL!

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow a lot to talk about here, lets start with the OP. I agree with #1 I think we take care of both these guys at least for next year if not longer. #2 I want JH back and if LJ takes less then a mil I am for that, as for Dwill would like him back but don't want to over pay. 3-4 &5 all agree and 6 is a tough one. I know Timmons has taken a lot of hits here and also some have stuck up for him, but he is slow and in this pass happy NFL it may be time to move on, :-( As for the other guys on that list I thought Matthews played good enough to earn a back up spot on this roster and as for Jarvis and Wheaton...bye bye. Now onto #7 let me say I am all for spending but it just isn't the Steeler way. I hope it starts soon but until it does I can't put my hopes there. One name I want to point out as a dark horse signing is Shaq Barrett, JP coached him and they were real close. I read that JP was like a father to him in college and was real shocked when the Steelers didn't sign him after the draft. I personally think we could get a good deal on him and he has the skill set we are looking for in an OLB. Another name I would keep an eye on would be Jonathan Cyprien, I am not impressed with the coverage skills of Mitchell and I love what we have in Davis. These two could form a nice young duo for the next few years. With these 2 moves we would have upgraded OLB and S and then could concentrate on BPA in the draft as our biggest need then would be to replace Timmons and we have VW who can step in, not sure if he is the answer but is an option. JMO

Now onto this trade AB ****......STOP STOP STOP!!!!!! You don't get rid of one of your best players, one of the best players at his position just to upgrade another. You can't replace AB what you need to do is build around him. Just this past year we were without our #2WR(bryant) #3(wheaton), #4(coates), #5(DHB) most of the year and our prized FA TE(green), oh and we were also without Bell the first 3 games and Ben also got hurt. We used Hamilton and Ayers straight from the practice squad who performed well, but without AB this offense wouldn't have done half.....that's right HALF the things they did. Even when AB don't touch the ball he opens things up for others and like I just said when we can do what we done with our #5-6 & 7 guys that says a lot.

Bottom line is we are in a 3 year window with Ben....maybe less, we need health which has not been our friend with a lot of our starters. We hit paydirt last season in the draft getting 3 starters but we need to build on that. The game vs the Cheat proved we need to get younger faster playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. Timmons, Mithchell and Golden just can play the system Butler and Tomlin are trying to run vs Brady.

5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I know a lot of FA contracts look bad but we have a 2-3 year window and actually have some money. I'd def try to load up on some D help at all three levels. And it they aren't sure about Bryant, get a FA WR if the price is right.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    In that vein of loading up on D help, most notably the secondary, here is a list of 8 FA corners available in the offseason:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...rs-could-target-this-offseason-2017-nfl-draft

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Give Timmons a two-year deal. I think he still has a year or two left in him.

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, but only at a much reduced price.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have mixed feeling on Timmons, right up until the AFCCG I was all about bringing him back and felt this was one of the top priorities of the off season. Since the AFCCG I have felt a little different, I feel after watching us get picked apart and then seeing what ATL did to NE in the SB for 3 quarters I am not so sure anymore. I love what Timmons brings to this team and all that he has done but I really feel we need to get faster in pass coverage. I am a real big Matakevich fan but I think he too is slow for the kind of defense we need to run vs the Cheats. JMO

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sorry, how is this a good thing? It's football, not horseshoes, coming close doesn't count. Not attacking you, NY, I just keep seeing this like its a good thing when it actually failed.

The coverage isnt what was working that game, it was the pressure, once the pressure disappeared, Brady destroyed man coverage just as easily as he destroyed zone.

Unless someone has broken this game down and can show me that Atlanta inexplicably abandoned man coverage that shut down Brady for 3 qtrs in favor of zone and stuck with it while they watched Brady pick it apart and mount the greatest comeback ever, then it wasn't successful. The pressure on Brady is what held him in check and will always be the key to holding him in check.

11. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Need a pass rusher opposite Dupree and also need to replace timmons with someone faster who can cover better. Basically another shazier type freak athlete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No offense taken and I get what your saying but all the defense needed was a little help from the offense. The ATL D did it's job but they ran out of steam, why cause the offense could stay on the field. I don't have the TOP stats but 21-3 at half 28-9 end of the 3rd with a pick 6 from the D....it did the job. 1st and 10 at the 22 under 4 min if they take a couple knees(which nobody would ever do) and kick the FG the Cheats are down by 11 with around 2 min to go no TO's......game over.

Sorry but yeah the D let up in the 4th but they were on the field for 2/3's of the game. I don't care how good you are your gonna get tired out. The D did play well enough to win they got no help from the Offense and no help from coaching.........sorry if you don't agree but this is my opinion on this. I know this has been talked about a lot here but I would take this D performance any day and hope our Offense could kill the clock. JMO :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Blast let me also add this, for me it isn't about man or zone if you don't have good fast guys there it won't matter. That is what I am talking about, yeah the pressure is what got to him but you also have to have the players who can cover no matter what scheme. We don't have that right now Timmons, JH, Gay and Mitchell are slow and we need to upgrade there, but your right it all starts with pressure. Which by the way was with 4 guys a lot of the time........

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The offense put up 28 points and had a 25 point lead into the 3rd qtr. Im sorry but thats an epic failure by the defense to squander that lead so quickly. The offense also moved the ball into fg range that would have sealed the game if not for another historically bad coaching decision (funny that Quinn was on both teams that happened too). I cant fault the offense for this loss.

Im not buying the tired excuse, certainly not to the extend the defense collapsed. Halftime was at least 30 minutes and then Atlanta received the ball to open the 3rd qtr, although I think they may have gone three and out.

I agree with this and we'll see this addressed this off season.

Golson or draft pick will take over for Gay in the slot.

Maybe pick up a cover CB in FA. If not, draft.

They'll pick up a safety in the draft dont see them going FA here.

ILB via the draft in the mold of Shazier.

Edge rusher draft or FA.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know maybe I watched a different game or my trying to forget about it has blurred my recollection. I saw tight ,physical man coverage most of the game and even when they went to some zone they were still being physical with the WRs. The pressure was clearly the difference but it was because it was coming from up the middle and along with tight coverage led to contested and inaccurate throws. Unless our DL are able to really ratchet up the pressure next season we will continue to struggle against them. I don't care if we draft the next Von Miller at OLB unless we slow down the WRs from getting free,uncontested releases and sit back in our zones the ball will be long gone before any OLB gets home.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    As for the 1st part of this Atl O only got 21 pts the D got the other 6 and the Cheat had the ball for 10 min of the 4th qrt......10 min!!!!

As for the 2nd part I think we agree on that :cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I dont care where the points came from, it was 28-3 in the 3rd qtr with 8 minutes left! 28-9 with 2 minutes left!

It was absolutely a failure of epic proportions no matter how hard anyone tries to spin it otherwise.

Biggest choke job ever.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Dude you pointed out the Falcon O got 28 they didn't thats why I said that. I am not saying it isn't......that was the worst ever choke job, yeah they gave up 19 points in the 4th but you can't put the blame on the D. Maybe you can and that is fine I will tell you what tell me our defense held Brady to 9 points in 3 quarters and I will take that every day cause I would hope to god our offense could do better then 5 min of TOP and 0 points.........

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My head just exploded, D gives up 25 point lead and you can't blame them???

And NE's offense was on the field for those 10 minutes too, unless Bill has come up with a new way to cheat. I didn't see his line suffering from fatigue, or his receivers. They looked fresh as daisies as they strolled up and down the field.

And again, Atlantas offense responded with what should have been a game winning drive to put the game out of reach. Blame the OC and HC who were out to lunch.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not giving the D a pass but I think they did enough to easily win this game and they got not help from the O, HC and OC. There is enough blame to go around I am not doubting that, I give it to all. I just won't blame the D and I stand by the fact that the game plan and play was and should have been good enough to win. Did they give the lead up hell yeah but other then one nice pass to Jones and then the OC/HC screwing everything up what did the O, HC or OC do in the 4th to help the D? :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Timmons close to the line, Yes. Timmons covering in space,No. If Butler can keep him closer to the line i'm for him coming back but he is slow in coverage and gets burned. We can't have burned...

22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Timmons has had a great career in black n gold. But it's a smart cap choice to move on.

One of the Steelers beat writers recommended 4 yrs / 28 million. That would be asinine.

Timmons can get more on the open market than we should offer. That's the bottom line.

If he would accept a 1 year 3 million deal... fine. Anything more is a bad allocation of cap. We need to invest in pressuring the QB, and shutting down the WRs. Not a 31 yr old run stopping inside linebacker.

The rational move... is to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll have to agree to disagree my friend. NE needed every little thing to go there way, all Atlanta had to do was disrupt one of them and they win that game. Heck, they even allowed two 2 point conversions.

As you said, NE had the ball a long time, Atlantas O didn't get a whole lot of opportunities in the 4th.

• Like Like x 1
  24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    28 Million for Timmons?! Dang! That's why some people are writers are some people are financial managers. That's insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes not going to get that kind of money if he stays here, will definitely be less than that or he won't be on the team. I saw an article that said they are looking to bring him back though.