1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Offseason Roster Plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Feb 8, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I also wouldn't mind to see Timmons go but I really think he might just straight up play for a discount to stay and I don't know if Tomlin would be willing to cut him. They say he's Tomlin's favorite so that would at least be intriguing from that standpoint. I've thought for a couple of years that we might have to change our FA approach to turn things around for the immediate here and now and I agree that we should definitely do that but I think a great rusher and a great safety is what I'd like to see. Although I'm totally not against getting a shutdown corner. I've wanted that forever. Really I wouldn't care if they lured Eric Berry from KC and just broke the bank on him and that be the only FA signing they did. He's a game changer and has said that he wouldn't play for the franchise tag. He's a pipe dream I know but since we're talking hypotheticals I guess he would be my most coveted dude out there if we could get him.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't re-sign DWill at 1.8 he's almost 34 and can't stay healthy, you can find a cheap backup RB in the mid rounds of the draft. You guys crack me up with this let's sign a edge rusher and CB in FA, that's not the Steelers MO not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    But didn't we sign William Gay in FA? :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why is signing an edge rusher and CB that far fetched? Both of those positions are definitive needs. Granted, it's unlikely the Steelers will break the bank and make a splash signing, although I think this could be the year they break tradition and do that, but they very well may find an under the radar type player who may just be getting ready to break out. We've done that before with players like James Farrior, Jeff Hartings, Ryan Clark, etc. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility. :shrug:

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing is though about getting one of those under the radar guys is that we used to be able to do that because we had truly dominant players to put them on the field with. Now we don't really have that truly dominant guy like we did in Troy when we got Ryan Clark. That's why I would like to see us get at least one truly dominant defensive FA and then maybe we could already have our "Ryan Clark" on the roster. If that makes any sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Every off-season I say essentially the same thing. We don't make splash signings. This year seems like it could be different IMO. We ended the year so close, and yet so far from claiming a title. We have the ability financially more so than in years past. Ben's window is closing, and he is clearly feeling and expressing frustration. If there were ever a year where we make big moves, this could be it.

Do I really think it will happen? No. But it will be tough for our pass rush to take the next step for 2017 via the draft only, especially picking at the bottom of each round. Hopefully we make a couple of good moves for starters.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm reading it won't be as cheap to sign harrison back. do we do it then or look to use that money on a younger FA instead? :cool:

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Harrison has to be willing to come back on the Steelers terms, or he won't be back. It's that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we better draft 2 then. :cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id be surprised if JH gets greedy at this point of his career. He got 5 sacks last year, he's not Von Miller.

Its not like the Steelers are ripping him off with the contracts he's accepting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The 2017 veteran players with 10 years plus experience minimum pay is 1 million dollars, vet mini pay increases by 15K each year, in 2016 it was 985K for vets with 10 years plus experience, so JH gets a million$ if we resign him, that's a lot more money than he can earn in his lifes work as an animal Vet, and he is in no position to negotiate since it will be a take it or leave it offer.........

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually I think his sack total this year was the lowest leading total in a lot of years too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It's the lowest since Glenn Edwards had 4.5 back in 1972.:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I do think this is the year the Steelers make a big spash in free agency. I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one of the top 5 pass rushers

There's a very clear alignment of 3 things
    1. Our Ben Window
    2. Our cap space
    3. Our dire need at the edge rush position

Melvin Ingram is a PERFECT fit. He checks all the boxes. He's in his prime, he is a proven 3 dimension player in our scheme.... he bends the edge (pass rush), sets the edge (run), runs off the edge (pass coverage).

He's going to be due a huge contract. Teams are going to be lining up to sign him (Colts)... but I say this is the year we drop a mega offer.

(yes, this is all probably wishful thinking)

If not Ingram.... there's Nick Perry.

Of course... the Steeler thing to do would be signing Alex Okafor or John Simon.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The problem with the Steelers going after a FA is two fold.

1) will they want to? (they might)
    2) and are they really going to outbid anyone? (not likely)

When they expressed interest in Weddle last year, they were never a real contender. And that was for Weddle, its hard to see them getting into a bidding war for a hot commodity like Perry.

We can hope and dream though.

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    But Weddle was a 31 year old safety... who had already begun to show the signs of decline.
    The Steelers were smart to try and get someone like that on the cheaper side, but not get in a bidding war...

A 27 year old, top 10 34 OLB Rusher... is someone you can make the case for getting in a bidding war considering the current state. An Impact Pass Rusher is a much rarer commodity than quality safety play.

The REAL question... The HARD question.... is whether the franchise is willing to put itself in to cap hell at the end of Ben's contract.

Because we can afford to add a mega contract... even with AB and Bell getting taken care of. We can do it. We can handle it cap wise this year, AND next year... but those contracts, on top of the cap growth in the contracts we've got the Oline and Heyward locked in to.... they are going up... and there's no stopping it. We can kick the can a couple seasons.... but it's essentially an all out "go for 7" in 2017, 2018, 2019.

I for one... am willing to live with the pain in the future (total cap hell around 2019-2020). I say we go all in on the next couple seasons.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    tuitt, shazier, bell, these are coming due soon. do we have the money for a big FA and still have the loot to get these guys signed? tuitt is going to want heyward money. shazier won't be cheap. bell after this year???? :cool:

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, like I said, it's a go for it move... we'd be in cap hell in a few years. We could keep everyone short term.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not like Harrison has any other options, if he wants to play next season he will re-sign.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would give it a chance of happening if they didn't have to re-sign Bell and Brown, there goes most of their cap space. The Steelers will do what they always do when FA starts sit back and not spend big money, then fans will call them cheap for not signing any outside FA.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The OP had them signing Ingram and Johnson, the Steelers spend that much on outside FA I will believe it when I see it. They may sign a mid tier FA like they did with Mitchell and Green, but that's it IMO. Besides Bell and AB have to be paid first, and possibly Tuitt.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm talking about a big contract signing like it would take to get Trumaine Johnson.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Yikes. Puts into perspective my hesitation in buying new refrigerator.

Does your "cap hell" scenario take into account the space that opens up when Ben's massive contract expires? What's the damage if he hangs 'em up after the 2017 or 2018 season?

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    With some big contracts looming in the off season, we wont be getting into any bidding wars this off season, the colts have ingram on their radar and being 55 million under the cap they have the inside track on signing him:

With the Indianapolis Colts set to hit free agency, general manager Chris Ballard should make Los Angeles Chargers soon-to-be free agent pass rusher Melvin Ingram a top target.

Armed with now around $55 million of cap space, the Colts have enough funds to make at least a ‘big splash or two’ in free agency, and a blue chip pass rusher like Ingram certainly fits that mold.