1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Offseason Roster Plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Feb 8, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

....?

What is it with people wanting to get rid of a future hall of fame player?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hard to argue with this plan for a team that wants to win right now. I haven't watched the Chargers play much the past two seasons, but when I did watch them Ingram looked solid. His numbers over the second half of 2015 were DPOY caliber. I'd like to see us address the pass rush via both free agency and the draft. IMO a lack of ability to consistently generate pressure with 4 rushers is our biggest weakness.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    In addition, this year truly was Timmons' last year I am afraid.

Pittsburgh going more Tampa 2 means that Timmons no longer possess the necessary range required to maintain his depth.

That being said, this would make rounds two and three in thr draft interesting to say the least.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

If we are to finally exoricse those Brady demons... get after him. Get after him often. Shake up his confidence.

We do that, we shall ascend to the stairway.

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    They are stupid

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Bosa being a LEO intrigued me. Still am wondering how much Gus would have liked having both Fowler Jr. and Bosa had he gotten them? Even though it is pointless to ask at this point, what could have been is still intriguing for me.

7. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yup. A win now mentality means adding a top talent or two to the defense via free agency to align with the growth of our low cap impact players from the last few drafts.

Trading star players is not only stupid, but unrealistic as well.

8. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The thing there is that Fowler could realistically play the 5 tech, where as Ingram cannot

In SD, Ingram would have to move to Will LB. He's a triple threat player (he can rush, stop the run, and cover), so it's a fit... BUT, Ingram has the numbers to get paid as an edge rusher, which is substantially more than the value of the Will in that defense.

I don't see SD paying him market value to play Will

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nor do I. Will market is not like the EDGE market anyways. :lolol:

Besides, should someone like Hassan Reddick test well at the combine, San Diego can easily fill that hole.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Sign
    Villanueva 4 yrs, 20 million, 6 guaranteed

Starting left tackles dont sign 20 mill contracts when the average for UFA left tackles is about 7-8 million a year, dont insult AV with a crap 20 mill offer.......

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm really not sure why the front office doesn't recruit some of this board's members for possible front office positions. :roflmao:

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah... if the offense performs. With all of the talk about our defense in the AFCCG, I think the failings of our offense are being a bit overlooked. Incredible red zone failures the last 2 playoff games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i get high draft picks arent a sure thing, but if you get the pass rusher you need the draft pick is a bonus. maybe they get lucky.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is true. Still kind of bummed that the "heavy" package and Rosie Nix disappeared into thin air in the game.

Im addition though, I have been on record to state the game itself was enitrely a team failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Leverage

Villanueva is ERFA which basically means he's stuck making about 600k this year. He has zero leverage, other than holding out. He will also be 29 years old at the start of the season.

Then, after this coming year (making peanuts), he will be a soon to be 30 yr old RFA. The Steelers will be able to apply the first or Second round tender in the 2.5 million to 3.5 million range.

So, Villanueva could wait until his year 31 season to test free agency and get those big bucks, while pocketing ~ 4 million over the next 2 years. Or he could pocket ~7 million next year, and an additional 13 million over the following 3... becoming a 32 year old free agent, who could still get a very nice contract in UFA 4 years down the line

Leverage.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why stupid ? If you think we can put together a top Defense without major moves you are stupid...I know Football..Just because my view is different than yours doesn't make it stupid..You talk like a internet tough guy you wouldn't talk to me like you do in person i can bet you that..

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Your view is what's stupid. There's nothing tough about it. It's just pointing out the stupidity in a position.

No one puts together a top defense by trading all pro talent on offense. That's the kind of silly **** that comes from someone who learned the game on their video game system.

Denver didn't build their super bowl defense by trading Demaryius Thomas for edge rushers or cbs.

Seattle didn't build their super bowl defense by trading Marshawn Lynch to build their secondary

New England didn't trade Rob Gronkowski for anyone.

When your view is to trade Antonio Brown, one of the best offensive players in the league, for imaginary players... it makes your view stupid. It's both stupid in proposition and stupid in reality.

You don't BUILD anything via trading stars in the NFL.

Yes, I think we can build a top defense without relying on video game trade scenarios. I think we can continue to add top talent via the norm (draft and free agency). I believe Heyward, Shazier, and Tuitt are prime aged and high end talent. I believe that the sky is the limit for Bud Dupree. I believe Burns is going to be a very good corner. I believe Hargrave has a whole new level to reach. These are young players.... I believe we have the cap space to make a splash in free agency as well.

We are headed in the right direction.

Trading Brown stupid on every level.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bill traded top talent . I don't talk down to you like you do me and most others..I am fed up with your BS you can f off ...

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    There's a huge difference between what Bill Bellichick does, and what you proposed.
    Bellichick trades relative to his team's cap space and roster structure. He trades Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, because he can only afford to pay 1 of 3 guys (Hightower is going to get paid), after this year. He doesn't make that trade to make his team better, he makes the trade with foresight on necessity. Collins returned a 3rd rounder. Jones returned a 2nd rounder, that was turned in to 2 solid contributors. Fantastic work. You are proposing "fixing the defense" by trading Brown. That's entirely different from what Bellichick does. He makes trades from a long term roster perspective, not to improve or fix anything.

A Bellichick type of move would be trading Stephon Tuitt for a 3rd round pick, because you've made the determination that although he's a good player, we won't be able to afford his contract due to other players/priorities.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely. Id be interested in knowing how much they use Bell down by the goal line. It seems to me that they don't very much but I know fan perspective can often be way off.

They should be using him heavily down there.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    kiss and make up you two, let me join in or whatever

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep, I've always found calling someone else stupid makes me look like a genius.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Side note, picture you have of your dog and cat is awesome. :applaud::smiley1:

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    eww

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dog was a stray. He brought the cat with him. Seriously. There were already 3 dogs here. Neither one cared. They wanted loved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1