1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparing the Steelers to Others

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bnasty23, Oct 18, 2021.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Or like the Browns.

They stockpile massive amounts of draft capital, yet went a dozen years between winning seasons (2007, 2020) and the Steelers were mocked by some fans for losing to them last year.

Or maybe Miami (currently 1-5).
    They definitely traded away a lot in recent years in order to stockpile draft picks.
    They were predicted to have 9-10 wins this year, too.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No QBs in NCAA worth a damn. But hey....Aaron Rodgers likes Tomlin. I don't know whether to puke or rejoice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I freaking don't want Rodgers, or Watson.
    One Has been in on a Great Team with one SB ,and is a D!<k, and the other is IMO just a stat maker. People say it's because of the Texans, but I thought Great Qbs made You better, or lifted teams....Funny....Texans have the almost same record With Watson as they do without. I know this is very unpopular, but I really can't think of a Great Qb that has had this kind of record. :shrug:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Since he's been there, the Texans are 28-25 when he plays, 2-15 when he doesn't.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ummm...the Texans didn't just start when he showed up. You do know they had a team before Him correct??
    Surprisingly they even went 2 the playoffs before He got there..Matter of fact their best winning record....He wasn't even on the team.
    They were even number one in their Division 4 other times before he showed up....Not as horrible as some would make You believe for a team, that in its current form has only been around since 2002.

6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I wouldn't consider Watson even without the legal troubles he currently has hanging over his head. The Texans reported asking price is punitive. Even if those troubles somehow get cleared up in his favor, who is to say that more allegations won't surface moving forward? Hard pass on Watson. If the Steelers choose to try to obtain a current NFL veteran as a stop gap QB, I'd rather they got a solid person with less natural ability that won't potentially turn in to a legal liability. No team needs those distractions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I wouldn't say Tank on purpose but at some point you should consider seeing what you have in Haskins and Rudolph (and anyone else you would like see get real reps). Ben is clearly done. It's not like he is suddenly going to get better. And if we sneak into the playoffs by some odd chance we will get eliminated quickly. Being realistic doesn't make one a bad fan and the reality is this team has about a.0001 percent chance to win a super bowl I am only saying this much cause you never say never.

I would really like to see Haskins get a shot and see if it finally sunk in for him that he needs to put in the work. He has raw talent but got a big head when he got drafted and also had tough spot in Washington. He may still suck but lets find out. The goal is to win a super bowl and that's just not possible this year sadly.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Considering the Steelers are not likely to find a franchise QB in the draft next year, there is plenty of time in 2022 to find out what you have in Rudolph and Haskins.

If the rest of the offense gets better (young OL work as a unit, Harris keeps running better, WRs make fewer mistakes), then Ben will play better. We've seen that bad QBs can have monster games, if they have just a fraction of a second more to work with. If Ben can safely hold onto the ball a bit longer, that will improve the offense.

The real key is the defense, which was expected to carry the team. If they get Tuitt back (and ready to play) and the rest stay healthy, that will be the team to have a chance to make the playoffs.

If you are suggesting tanking until the Steelers have good odds to win the SB, that sounds like a recipe to become the Browns or the Dolphins. We've also seen that expectations sometimes don't mean much. In 2019, Baltimore had the best regular season record in the league, with a top-2 offense and a top-4 defense. They didn't win any playoff games. In 2010, the Chargers had the top offense and the top defense (by yardage), and didn't even make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben gives them the best chance at winning, Haskins got the chance to start in preseason and he sucked, we already know what Rudolph is and that's a backup QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Say what? We scored 27 against the Broncos.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They won’t make a change at QB while they are winning.

That can change around week 10 if things get as ugly as I fear they will.

12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    That's the worry - they waste yet another year. Then in 2023 go for a Garoppolo/Wentz type stopgap. They need to pull the bandaid off and see what they have in Rudolph this year. Haskins is not signed past 2021.

The protection has been quite good the last 2-3 games and Harris is running well, but Ben still can't generate big plays or points, even against a D like Seattle's. He is who he is at this point.

13. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm not talking about getting back to prime Ben form, but getting from below-average to at least average would help a lot.
    This assumes that the defense gets back to a top-3 state (before then end of last season), so that Ben won't need to constantly generate big plays for the team to win.
    (And that the team does better on turnover differential in the playoffs.)

In 4 of the last 8 Super Bowls, the losing team scored 10 or less points.
    That would be the goal: to have the defense stifle the opposition, and Ben playing well enough for the offense to reach at least 17 points (every game so far except the Bengals).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    That's a huge ask, I don't see this defense reaching that kind of dominance even if fully healthy. The offense has been held to fewer than 20 pts in 7 of the last 12 regular season games, hasn't topped 30 once.

You're also only looking at the Super Bowl. Only 2 of those 4 teams held their opponents under 20 for all three playoff wins. At some point, the offense has to show up.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    For comparison

Steelers 3 teams they have lost to thus far Raiders, Bengals, Packers

They are a combined 16-5

So looks like we have losses to some good teams.

Man who would of thought it might be the Bungholes who actually win the AFC North

But still lots of football left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Bengals are a few missed FGs away from beating the Pack and being 6-1. Two losses by a combined 6 pts.

17. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Boy that is a very good point Wow. They got really good quick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not really. Specially when you consider that they could’ve been a couple bad breaks away from losing a couple more games. Works both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I heard again yesterday during the game....somewhere around 250 million spent on the Defense.

20. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Like Coach Cowher used to say its a fine line between being a winning team and a losing team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So you want him to help us go 30-40

Yeah, that makes sense

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Teams can do that when they have an excellent QB on a rookie contract. The Browns and Ravens are right around the corner from roster-killing contracts for their QBs, and could become non-contenders pretty quick. The Bengals are still 2-3 seasons away from needing to do that. That’s definitely concerning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    And 5 of the SB contenders are in the NFC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not the point. The OP said K.C. went to the Super Bowl three years in a row. They didn't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Not just their QBs.

I was looking at Garrett's contract at OverTheCap.
    He remains affordable at $13M next year, but then his cap jumps to $29M.
    Chubb's cap number goes up by almost $10M the same year.
    The Browns rolled-over a lot of cap space from previous years, which won't be available the next two years.
    The Browns are going to have a lot of choices to make in 2023.

• Agree Agree x 1