1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Compared to last year, Bell was ****ing pathetic Today...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ratkomladic, Sep 10, 2017.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I have already seen enough bubble screens for the year. Especially to MB. He looked slow and indecisive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's a nasty split or a 2 or 3 gap split from the DE 9 technique. The pass play is the WR screen and the slant or working to the TE as he gets a easy release.

It's designed to keep the RB inside the tackles and offer outside leverage in run support.

The best runs are counter and outside traps ,leave the 9 alone and crack down on the DL and hit the LB.Kick the 9 out or trap him down with the pullers .

If you have a running QB you run zone read strong and dive the RB to the 5 or 6 hole depending which way you run it and let the QB read the 9 technique.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Has to do with where on DE lines up, typically way out side and slanted towards the QB. I'm sure I'm screwing that up but something about it seems to give the Steelers fits.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    His legs weren't ready, might be in shape but he isn't in football shape. Just as I suspected

Week 4 he will be up to par.

5. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Relax!!! It's just one game ride or die we need to support any Steeler player on the roster they earned it. Go Steelers

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Repercussions Tomlin was alluding too? Semed like it to me.

Only 2 people played good on offense today, AB and James. Bell was hardly an outlier.

He'll be in beast mode soon enough. Not worried about Bell.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the screens (and short passes) in the first half were killing me, especially with the down and distance factored in. Just seemed like they were cashing it in.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I wondered about this in the game day thread, but do you think Haley had trouble recognizing what the defense was doing? It almost seemed like he had some plays scripted and they were gonna run those plays regardless of what the defense showed. It was weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    scripted is what I was thinking as well, after the 1st qrtr, I don't think they ran them again.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Almost like they felt the need to make the "new" wrinkles on offense that they were talking about seem legit.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The 3rd and 21 draw to Bell was the one that really made me scratch my head.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How would you or anyone have known. Last time we saw him he was the best in the game....and then today.....so when did you decide he can't change direction?

I would have traded him too...but I said to do it right after he turned down being the highest paid RB in the game...buy over 4mill

It was said he wanted 15......then after feeling disrespected he rapped his number was 17.....I hear he is in the locker room right now writing out lyrics needing 19 for getting embarrassed.

I am not worried about Bell....The entire Offense looked offensive.....Everyone not named Antonio was awful and that includes Ben and Haley. That early game plan was horrible.....every play was going east and west..nothing attacking down field. There were sitting there safeties 20 yards off the ball, and bringing the heat....that 8-10 yard range was ripe for the taking.

Here is hoping that it was just gameday rust from sitting on the bench for every game the last month. Got to remember....those Browns were pretty game ready. Kizer played most of the snaps this preseason...being that young most of the guys on the field played a lot of snaps....so lets hope our guys get on the same page for week 2.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Either the Browns D-line is incredible or the Steelers O-line was playing horrible. Penetration for both sides with ease, no running lanes and the secondary coverage was really good, very few times did anyone run free. It was also a good example of how bad our secondary is, they played with 10 guys always leaving their free safety (Peppers) in single high coverage very deep, we would get shredded playing that type of defense as our safeties only react, they can't cover or recognize routes.

14. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

I wouldn't say they played awful; Ben was only sacked once and for the most part had a clean pocket and lots of time. However the running game looked feeble, but that is as much on Bell as it is the o-line.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually the Wide 9 is designed to provide an outside speed rush at the expense of run defense (in the NFL anyway). A team running the Wide 9 is selling out to get to the QB and exposing the 5 or 6 hole to an easy 5 yard gain with questionable blocking. Maybe in college against the zone read it has a different purpose, but that's not why someone would run it against an NFL team.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This. And let's not forget that Ben and co. played all of 15 snaps together, and without Bell at that.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The league already knew the trick the Patriots used to stop Bell in the playoffs, which was to take advantage of him being injured. Bell injured his groin the previous week and should never have played at all that day.

Bell was often hesitant today. He was a step slow on most of his runs. That should change as he gets in better football shape, but the holdout clearly hurt the team today.

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Great post, and I agree completely, but I also think he'll be fine after this. But man, he sure didn't help his cause today.

19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think Bell will be fine. If it was Foster or Parker or Jerome, I don't think much would be made about his performance today.
    His big mouth, arrogant attitude and over inflated salary demands have turned most of the Steelers faithful hostile. He deserves to have his balls busted, but I think none of that subtracts from his talent. I suspect he will bounce back n a big way.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, its not very optimistic at all, Fanforlife. Would be pretty foolish to believe Bell plays like this all year.

Of course, you were rating everyone who said anything good about the Steelers as very optimistic and now you are betting heavily on them to win the SB.

You'll come around.

21. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I thought the game plan was abysmal today. As I said during the game day thread, if this wasn't something we had seen many times, you could have said with no preseason play and no one working together as a complete unit during training camp, it was rust. Problem is, this is a trend that has been going on for a better part of a decade. If this was a year from now and Kizer was in his second season, we lose this game. And that is a sad reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You are correct. PWP is up to his antics again trying to rewrite the definition of things. 9 technique is the DE lining up outside the tight end. The DE is doing this to rush the QB. Typically playing the run on the way to the QB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the other team is only using one TE then only one DE is playing 9 Technique?

23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's just one game and there weren't exactly large holes to run through. He will be fine.

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I have no doubt that if he showed up to training camp he would have had a 100 yard game and a TD or two but he was completely out of sync with the Offense today. He will get much better as the season moves on and they get him more involved.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, I kinda feel the Browns controllled the LOS on both sides of the ball today.

We are supposed to have the best line in football?