1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coming to Heinz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelergeek69, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Steelergeek69

Steelergeek69 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Hi! First time to see the steelers at Heinz. So I got free ticket to game and free airfare so why not take advantage! Bad thing or could be a great experience is that it's on Xmas day. So I have three hotels booked all by maririott cuz of family discount. My question is how easy is it to get to heinz from these hotels ? I know one is walking distance but it's a bit more money. It's the residence inn on west general Robinson street. The other two hotels are courtyard downtown on Penn avenue and Pittsburgh Marriott cente on Washington place. Now there is a $70 difference from the residen inn. Is it easy to walk to game from these hotels?

Another thing is getting to hotel from airport. What I'm I looking at price wise from airport to hotel. What's best and cheaper taxi or shuttle? It's just me and wife. Looking at hotel website seems shuttle are cheaper but looking it up it's $50 one way.

Thanks for your help!!

2. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    You are about to experience something priceless: going to Heinz Field to see the Steelers!
    I asked this question a couple of years ago when I went to my first game at Heinz Field and received some great advices. Let me try to give some of them to you, and luckilly we'll get help from people living in Pittsburgh.

Some hotels do include the Shuttle. Residence Inn is pretty close to the stadium, right across a couple of parking lots & AE Stage.
    Go to the steelers website, they have some usefull guides. Also check a couple of days before the game, when they announce where the shuttles to the game are leaving from (it's cheaper than riding a taxi). This link will be useful: http://www.steelers.com/tickets-and-sta ... -info.html

If you explore that link, somewhere there are a couple of guides about gameday (parking, concessions, etc) that will help.

Tailgating there is awesome. If you're not planning to park, you can always join someone. Many people from this forum (or at least from the old forum) are great tailgaters. Try to arrive early, outside the stadium there's a lot of people getting ready for the game with a great mood.

As a personal advice, don't plan your hotel location based only upon the stadium, but instead look at what else you're going to do in Pittsburgh & area. If not, you'll be paying a lot of money on taxis to go from nearby the stadium to other points of interest.

I don't live there, but it seems that always there are closed roads (due to construction or maintainance), so watch out for this.

I'll be there too for Christmas, and hopefully, to see the Steelers smash the Rams!

3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just noted that you said it was on Christmas day...its actually on Saturday, December 24. Just making sure you didnt book your room for the 25th :)

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Check the hotels some might have a free shuttle to and from the airport

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    have been a few times. the hotel on penn ave is within walking distance if that is an option. I know it will be cold but walking across the clemente bridge is neat. We always stayed outside town and just drove around and parked in garage. Anyway you do it you will have a ball. good luck

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    we stay at the Wyndam grand downtown....its just a skip across a bridge to grille 36 for a nice steak and then onto the game

7. Steelergeek69

Steelergeek69 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks guys and gals! Yes pretty much I'm staying at the Marriott City Center on Washington place. It's $99 a night so thats $60 less than Residence Inn. Marriott City Center It think it's across from where the penguins play. I called today to the hotel this worker there said it takes him 23 minutes to walk to Heinz. They don't do free shuttle and the shutte is $50 for two one way and taxi is $45 from airport to hotel.

For a first timer, how early do recommend to get to Heinz? I was thinking nine am. I really want to get there on those ferry boats but they leave 3 hours before game. Kinda wanted to get there earlier. Is there alot to see inside? How early is it open? Can u get in early to see them getting warmed up? Can u talk to them while they are warming up?

Another thing is I'm fom the desert! Palm Springs,California and never been past Arizona so im fearing the cold a bit. I wish I had more than two days but have to get back to work. I had a hard time getting just the 23,24 and 25 off.

Well hope I get to meet some of u posters here,maybe tailgate have a beer or coffee!
    Thanks guys!

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Do not drive and park in the garage. It will take over 2 effing hours to get out if you aren't parked close to an exit. I have been told to take the fairy over. It's supposed to be like a party to and from (when they win). there is a super cool old church intown that is converted into a brew pub that I never hear anyone ever talk about. It's one of the coolest establishments ever. Micro brew is decent and the food could be better, but the place is awesome. It's just past the Iron City brewery.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You are staying at a nice hotel, you can walk it but it is not a short walk
    from this uptown hotel. The streets are safe especially if you have Steeler gear on.
    Please make sure you wear warm clothes, Our Decembers can be very cold. I am not sure if this hotel offers shuttlle to Airport. Taxi fare I am guessing 35.00. There are lots of areas you can explore on your trip here. Mt Washington, Southside, Strip district, Northside,Station square are all short cab rides from your hotel. The one poster mentioned the church brewery it is located close to Bloomfield
    our (little Italy.) Tessarios in Bloomfield is excellent if you can get in. Please research before you get here so you can have a great time and enjoy.I am lucky to have been to many Steeler games, go early to the stadium and enjoy all it has to offer. See the players up close. TV does no justice to the size of these men until you see them up close. Have fun.

10. Steelergeek69

Steelergeek69 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks to all! I want to hit up Grill 36. Hows this on game day? Super busy do u need reservations? I could only hit up one or two restaurants cuz my short stay. If I walk to Heinz I see I past by two primanti bros. joints. According to the map. I arrive at Pitt at 5 pm on Saturday and leave on Sunday at 9 am. So by the time I get to downtown maybe ba like 7 pm. So Saturday I need to crunch everything I want to do or see. Thinking of going to Sation square early Saturday and look around maybe hit the incline and then take off on there ferry, seems like a cool thing to arrive at Heizn on that party boat. Can't wait!! :superman:

11. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    I guess you mean friday 5pm, since the game is saturday 1pm.
    Talk to your wife about the planned walk (I say this by experience). A 20 minute walk in the snow is not something anyone can deal with.
    Arrive somewhere inbetween 10 and 11, so you can enjoy the pre-game activities. If you don't join people tailgating, you can always go to Stage AE or to Mullen's, a very nice bar for pre-game.
    Grille 36 does not have reservations. On gameday there are 20 or 30 people on the line, waiting for entrance. It could probably be better to go for dinner the night before the game. If you're lucky enough, you can see the Bus (he's there usually on fridays from 4 to 6pm). If he's not, and you get in a good mood with the service people they'll show you the owner's box, with all kind of Bettis memorabilia (particularly his shoes!)
    About Primanti, you can have them at the stadium.

Station square & the incline are musts, IMO. Don't forget to get your camera.
    Also you can try some of the Carnegie Museums (if you are a fan of modern art, don't miss Warhol. If you are more of a tech guy, go to Science Center right across the stadium).

Be ready for a very cold winter, as someone said: be sure to get enough clothes appropiate for cold & probably snow.

12. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If you're going to want to enjoy walking around, dress in layers. Start with a cotton T-shirt and put on several progressively thicker & warmer tops. (You can always pull some off but you can't add them if you don't have them with you). Make sure people coming here with you do the same. Bring gloves and a warm hat of some kind. Fans coming from the warmer areas of the country may not get what we locals mean when we say 'dress warm'. Remember, you'll be out there for hours in the cold.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The best under layers for anyone to wear in winter are what is sold for skiing and snowboarding. They are thin and effective as anything else. For me, if you can afford it are silks. Lands End sells them or on "Sierra trading post.com". Better get a few pairs because once you get used to them you can't wear anything else all winter and every day!!!

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Go to the Strip District for Primantti's, don't get them at the Stadium you need the full effect. Bring warm clothes, can be anywhere from 15 degrees to 50 degrees UnderArmor works great for me, you got to be prepared. If you walk from the Marriot to Heinz you talking close to 1.5 mile walk one way. Enjoy it, you will never forget it and want to come back a lot more.

15. Steelergeek69

Steelergeek69 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    So many have mention under armor or thermaskin by lands end. The only thing Ive know is root of the loom thermal underwear :hmmm: Are these other ones way better?

Now let's talk about Once u get to Heinz Field. So how early do they open? Can u get in early and get near the sideline to watch them practice or warm up? Do they ever go to the stands and talk to fans? How much time do u set aside to see everything there is inside the stadium.

16. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Pretty rare they talk to fans.
    About 1.5 hrs before, long snapper, holder and kicker begin warming up, kicking FGs at both ends.
    Nearly 45 minutes before the game, the rest of the team gets into the field for warmup.

If you want to look at warmups and to get to know the Great Hall, my suggestion will be to enter 2 hrs prior to kickoff so you can see the Great Hall in 20 or 30 minutes watching close to everything, buy a beer or a coffee and get into your seat to enjoy the whole event.
    Doors open about 2 hrs prior to KO.