1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Combine Visits and Talk...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 25, 2016.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No problem, I am interested to see who we send to the Navy pro day.....

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    22nd Louisiana Tech - DT Vernon Butler
    Montana ST - my 7th round TE Beau Sandland lol!

23rd Duke - Jeremy Cash S
    USC Cody Kessler QB

24th Houston WJIII CB
    N. Dakota St - Joe Haeg OT

should be some interesting ones to monitor to see if Pittsburgh is in attendance.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, on Jeremy Cash - has anyone watched a game tape where he actually drops deeper than 10-15 yards in coverage more than a few times per game? I watched 2 or 3 of his games, and found it frustrating to evaluate him as an NFL safety prospect because he basically redefined "in the box" in the games I watched. I like his play near the line of scrimmage, but can't even assess what he can do in downfield coverage. I think it's absolutely critical that an NFL safety be able to play effectively in downfield coverage.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I watched two games during the season and I only saw him drop a handful of times. One game was against Army so, he expectedly, was always at the LOS. The team would definitely have to define his role at the onset and then evaluate from there. Helluva presence in the box though.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    here's a good one. You can watch Artie Burns on defense for Miami and Jeremy Cash on defense for Duke. Cash makes a great behind the LOS play at the 8min mark of the 1st qrtr. He drops in this game more than I've seen but the TV angles cut off a lot. Usually lined up on the slot/Y. They talk about Burns' story in the 1st qrtr too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

cash had a lot of help. duke has two other safeties that should be in next years draft that are pretty good too. they seemed to use cash like we used troy in his last couple of years. the other two made more plays in the passing game. i do think it was by design. :cool:

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think he would be very good in that role. A LBer like responsibility who could match up on TEs possibly. Play in the box and utilize his tackling and play recognition.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i think he would but we don't have that luxury for that type of safety right now. we need a better cover guy with that same skillset IMHO. i'm leaning more towards green from clemson. i like simmons a ton. i want some speed and size too. simmons may not be a flat out speedster but his short area quickness numbers are right there with the best corners in the draft and better than most. green made a ton of plays for clemson too. he made some mistakes but he's a jr. also. i'd still double dip in this draft for safeties. thompson, bell, kj dillon, smith, various ways to go for us. simmons and green are right up there for me though. 3rd and 4th rounds would take care of this.

ogbuh OLB/DE
    burns - fuller CB
    white CB
    simmons S
    powell S
    ricardo lewis WR
    dean lowery DT/DE

is the way i'm leaning right now. there are some good udfa guys at cb that could and should be had after the draft too. frankie williams from purdue would be one. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Udfa's....I'm thinking of getting a ton of linebacker udfa's. There have been gems found at that position. We need to get lucky; we're due.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    With Chad Greenway still out there I would kick the tires on him, he was a beast early in his career.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Steelers were busy...

They were at USC's pro day yesterday (Kessler, Cravens, etc)

Also at Louisiana Tech to see DT Vernon Butler.

29 out of 32 teams present at Duke's pro day. Not sure about Pittsburgh. WR McCaffery ran a 4.36 fwiw

Lamar's pro day is today everyone!!!!!

So is Houston and WJIII

• Like Like x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Kinda funny you mention the Pittsburgh pro day and,I just have a feeling Tyler Boyd is our 2nd round pick. Wonder who was there, gonna be pretty interesting to see what happens with this. Lamar pro day, hmmm.........

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I like his instincts getting into the backfield, but he plays like a LB. I wonder if scouts see him making a transition to LB? He his 215 already, he has the size.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Confusing the way I wrote it I guess. I meant I wasn't sure if Pittsburgh was at Duke's pro day.

Joe Okafor our Practice Squad defensive lineman is from Lamar!! (I had to look that one up lol)

• Like Like x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    forgot earlier, they had Boyd in as a visit or they will. A local visit so it doesn't count against their visit total - 30 if IIRC.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I read a little about this kid and just have a strange feeling Neal at #1 and Boyd at #2, also I think Kessler at #5 or 6( depending on trades)

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't see that happening, NY.

And I'll be pretty pissed if they do :nono:

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not saying that is what I want just the feeling I am getting from what I read and listen to on the radio. I am reading a lot about Neal as our 1st rounder, but that could be a smoke screen too. I have not looked at either of these guys so my judgment is what I have read and that is not a lot.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just don't see any need to when they have shown they are pretty adept at finding late round gems. If they are even looking to draft one.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree I haven't even looked much into this position that's how much I thought we were good there but after the Bryant deal it got me looking and started noticing little things. I just have this gut feeling, and believe me I have a big gut, lol!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    WJIII said it was very special to have Tomlin at his pro day in Houston. I haven't seen any results on how he tested.

ILB Elandon Roberts tested out very well. Mentioned him in the B1G thread. Like a coach on the field. Limited in pass coverage, but pretty instinctive. Possible late rounder.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    OK... I'm going to need to watch some more Neal tape. I watched 1 game and wrote him off as inferior to many of the solid safety prospects in this draft. I didn't see anything at all about his game that was professional grade in that one game.

24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Tomlin personally making a visit? I like that. Jackson is who I want desperately.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think tyvis powell is the target. just a gut feeling. i think neal could be the 2nd choice and possibly a few others if he's gone.

at corner, i think the target is apple and then alexander, fuller and then jackson. covering their bases. :cool:

• Like Like x 1