1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Combine Visits and Talk...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You are right on the money SE, get to the next level we are sooooo close. I hope the Rooney's make it happen?

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Add OSU Tackle Taylor Decker to the visit list.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What's you thoughts on this, I like this kid don't think he falls to us but if he does I feel he is our meal ticket to trading back a few spots and gaining 2 picks.......If we ending up picking this kid it would hurt my fellings either.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like the guy and would not be upset with this pick. Tackle depth is a legitimate issue if Beachum is not signed. Two things I like about Decker is that he is a finisher. Usually staying engaged until the ball carrier is past. Secondly, he seems to keep his head on a swivel and can pick up those stunts and late blitzes with regularity.

He will definitely garner some attention if he is still available at 25. LTs aren't easy to come by, and most college tackles have that "will transition to G in the NFL" tag. Well Decker is a tackle for sure. A lot of teams need a good prospect or even starter there. If a trade down does happen I only hope we get another 2nd and 3rd out of the deal plus some if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Does he have the feet?

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES
    STRENGTHS: Well put together with a large frame, essential body girth and very good core strength. Utilizes his reach and strong hands to latch-and-control rushers from the outset.

Despite his height, shows the natural knee bend and sturdy anchor to absorb the rush and reestablish his base. Balanced in his movements and shifts his weight well to shuffle and recover. Terrific timing at the second level with the mobility to pull and occupy linebackers in space.

Physical drive blocker and plays with the nasty streak and competitive demeanor needed for the next level. Reliable, well-spoken and vocal leader with the make-up to start from Day One in the NFL. All-American resume with durable experience as a three-year starter at both tackle spots - first Buckeye tackle to earn Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year since Orlando Pace.

WEAKNESSES: Naturally tall pad level and will lose the leverage battle when rushers are able to get underneath him. Has the knee bend to sink and absorb, but can be late to drop his hips, taking away his anchor strength.

Needs to be more technically proficient with his reach and hand placement mid-kick-slide. Active puncher, but doesn't consistently land his jabs. Inconsistent snap anticipation and can be late to set up. Has snaps on film where he seems to fall asleep, missing his usual urgency.

Has the aggressive take-on strength to sustain blocks, but needs to better use angles to his advantage. Still developing his pre-snap recognition skills and can be fooled by delayed pressures.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Clemson S Jayron Kearse reportedly has a meeting set up the Pittsburgh. Must have stem from the pro day today.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, two of them! I checked. I watched his film :hehehe:

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks SE, as you very well know in a tackle it is all about footwork.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    QB Dak Prescott arrested for DUI yesterday. Prob. cross him off the list.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah and from what I read about him I felt like the Steelers were high on him. Here is another example of a kid coming off the sr bowl with a good game(mvp) and knowing he improved his draft stock...and money and totally not caring! Man how hard is it for these kids to keep their nose clean for like 5 months, we see it every year. SMH!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Steelers offensive line coach (not sure if Munch or the other dude) was on hand at Texas tech's pro day to check out Le'Raven Clark, probably my favorite OT in the draft. May not be a top run blocker but with his 3'+ arms and nimble feet he'd make a nice blindside protector.

Link to NFL.com article.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, same story every year, just insert a different name. Makes me wonder how privileged these kids must be growing up that they have such a sense of entitlement that they could possibly make these reckless decisions.

Even kids who come from a less affluent environment still have that entitlement because their football skills have gotten them out of trouble time and again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Freakin true story bud, I am from a small town and I see it out of some of the "stars" at the high school level and it only gets worse as they get older.......

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Baylor DT Billings had dinner with Mean Joe Greene last night. That must have been awesome for Billings!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they probably brought down a wildebeest and fed on it. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Article stating that William Jackson III had an informal meeting with the Steelers at the combine

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Houston-corner-William-Jackson-wants-to-prove-6858141.php

WJIII and his combine workout, no trouble with the backpedal that I see

http://www.redskins.com/media-galle...kson-III/eaf4f4e4-f106-4041-9e9e-b3be04b45bb7

He measured in two inches shorter than what previously thought and has a slighter build ala Kevin Johnson. Came in at 6' 189. Johnson was 6' 188. Jackson has the same knock - slight build and will he be able to stand up to run support in the NFL. Also both knocked for missed tackles the last year. At least Jackson knows his tackling is a weakness, as he admitted to it in his combine interview to the media. Can that be worked on in the NFL, yes it can. He is willing, just needs some refinement. First on any DBs qualifications should be pass defense and you can't argue Jackson doesn't defend the pass.

Houston's Pro day is March 24 so we'll see who shows up and if there's genuine interest. I would take Jackson in the first just like I wanted Johnson in the first last year. Jackson would definitely fill the role as the #1 and his knocks on tackling are not a great concern to me unless you think every prospect should come into the league perfect with no flaws. Is Pittsburgh's defensive coaching staff an upgrade over Houston's? Yes, and improvements will be made. The bigger question to me is do the Steelers feel there is more value at 1:25. Is he the only option in the first, absolutely not, but I would not be disappointed if he's the pick.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not that i dislike jackson, but is this the best place for a guy that needs his tackling refined? blake and the gang were terrible at tackling last year. we also had a drafted safety that had tackling problems and he got cut even with our depth at safety as a problem area. i'm not sure this is the best place for this type of player. that would be my concern turtle. :cool:

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    very real concerns in that aspect and I can't argue that. I think he show's the willingness which is half the battle. Can it be corrected with coaching? I would like to think so, but you're right, past indicators are not inspiring. Will it be a greater emphasis this training camp with what happened last year, I hope so. He isn't grabby defending the pass and has a ton of PBUs which is a plus. Does it trump the high tackling? Colbert and Co have the answer to that so tough for me to say. I would take the chance if they feel he can be that guy but do you spend the pick trying to find out?

That's why I like Justin Simmons so much, his tackling is very good, and played a lot of single high if they want to creep Mitchell in. Still have not found out if anyone was at BC's pro day yesterday.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Clemson DE Shaq Lawson had his shoulder flagged by the medical staff at the combine, will have to go back for re-check for those of you interested.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i like simmons a lot. tj green is peeking my interest too.

i still am high on burns at corner. dj white. eric murry. jon jones. and sanchez is creeping in the hunt too. some may not be the 6-1 prototypical corners, but they cover and tackle well. white seems to have some smarts and a few of these guys even for their size can lay the wood. they don't shy away from run support either. that's always been a biggy for the steelers. :cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  25. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Oooooooh, that Lamar University pro day on the 24th will be crucial!

Thanks for the list.

• Like Like x 1