1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Combine Visits and Talk...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Would put him over 300lbs, not asking him to be a offensive lineman :lolol:

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah, tuitt and heyward are 315 and 300 respectively. At 6'7" 260-270 he's a twig. He also only has one year of starting experience. Which has to give some pause.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Heyward is listed as 295 and Tuitt 305 on the Steelers website but thats still bigger that I thought they were. Freaking monsters.

This kids a weight room warrior, put on 60lbs to play his position already and has the frame to get bigger. Shouldn't be a problem.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers.com was talking up Henry. He says he loves to block. Wants to stick his head in there and drive guys back.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Henry had a dismal day on the bench press. This guy David Morgan put himself on the map with 29 reps. He's hailed as the best blocking TE in college, he can catch too when asked to, 45 receptions for 566 yards, he has Steeler TE written all over him and can be had much later then the first.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/...ne-results-bench-press-tight-end-david-morgan

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/david-morgan?id=2555306

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he could fill a role as a third down pass rusher.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't he kinda of a clone of what they have been drafting at TE in later rounds and not having them work out? I'm not sold on anyone but if you are looking to replace a goto guy like Heath Miller, who can also lockdown pass blocking as well as drive guys out of the hole wouldn't you try to find that in a higher round rather than later? I mean aren't they at this point in the same predicament they always seem to find themselves? They desperately need corner and safety help but at 25 do you take a TE that has a first round grade that can lock down the position for the next decade or do you reach on a CB or safety that is ranked for late 2nd/early third? or maybe if a heck of a NT is sitting there do you go get him. It is goign to be interesting to watch the process unfold in the next few weeks

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe but just pointing out that:

A) Henry benched a measly 13 reps, not good sign for someone that will be asked to block NFL players and something the Steelers value greatly.

and

B) Morgan fits the Heath Miller mold more.

I don't know what I would do yet, still to early in the process but I am often seduced by TE's like Henry, not sure I want to do that in the 1st rd though. My inclination would be to address the DB needs in the first if its there and a TE no later then rd 4, I'd like to grab one by the 3rd. They haven't drafted TE talent higher then the 5th, James last year, in a long time.

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I would love for the Steelers to get this guard from Stanford.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would be happy if they got Garnett. The pisser is he seems to be slotted in that late 1, early 2nd area. I'd take him at 25, but I'm always for bolstering the lines.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They have one if they let him.

Todman was at least a returner with Jacksonville. There's no reason he couldn't slide to the punt unit.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree. Returning kicks and punts are very different. Kickoffs come in at a lower angle, and you never have to field a kickoff in traffic. Also, a kickoff returner accelerates up to speed before making any moves. A punt returner usually has to make people miss before getting a head of steam. There are some guys who do both well, but they are rare. I like Todman a lot. I watched just about every single one of his college home games in person, and I don't recall him ever returning a punt. He was a solid kickoff returner, but other guys handled punt return duties. It's likely that he hasn't returned a punt in a game since high school, if ever.

15. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Darron Lee is clearly the most athletic LB in this draft, what a combine he had... Clearly a 4-3 weakslide OLB but if he's there at 25, he would be one hell of a playmaker at ROLB to pass up on. Food for thought, but if he's there when we pick, would you consider him despite schematic mismatch?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I get what you're saying there, but what the Steelers did by putting a guy out there that hadn't taken any type of return in game, seems like a foolish move when you had at least a KO returner on the bench.

I'm going by the premise that at the very least you want a guy that is used to an entire field of defenders running at them while the ball is in the air.

Just me, I don't know though...

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tyler Boyd will make someones football team a whole lot better.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    They met with Eli Apple.

Sorry about no link but I read about it on Steelers Depot.

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Found this:

Pittsburgh Steelers

No. 1 Team Need
    Cornerback
    See the other needs ...
    • Vernon Adams, QB, Oregon (COM)
    • Vernon Butler, DT/NT, Louisiana Tech (COM)
    • Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State (COM)
    • Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford (COM)
    • Cody Kessler, QB, USC (SR)
    • Carl Nassib, DE/3-4DE, Penn State (COM)

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Like that they have met with Hooper and Nassib. Surprised at 2 QB listings, due diligence or really going to draft one? Interesting.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we try to draft one, and go with Jones as the #2 and the #3 and #4 in camp being a draft pick and some 2nd or 3rd year vet min FA type of guy who has never played an NFL snap. My preference would be to try and grab a solid backup like Matt Moore (depending on price tag), and leave Jones as the #3, but I doubt that's where we're headed.

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I am pretty sure I read somewhere not sure where or how true but we always draft a guy we met with. The Adams meeting has me scratching my head, not that it is bad just caught me off guard. Also where are all the Cb/S meetings, didn't they say pass D was the biggest concern????? Correct me if I am wrong here but isn't there a player limit you can meet with, I thought it was 30 after the combine.....if true we should have been meeting with all we could at the shrine game, senior bowl and combine. jmo

23. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah, 60 at the combine and then you can bring in 30 for a pre-draft visit. Tomlin's favorite seems to be the pro day dinner invite. If we don't meet with a guy prior to the draft, chances are he won't be a Steeler.

• Like Like x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would probably pass. Not because of the player, but because of the position. At 232lbs, I don't think they'd put him at OLB.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think CB Mackensie Alexander out of Clemson had a visit. But he's the only one so far.

• Informative Informative x 1