1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

College Payoffs Set

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Clemson vs. 4. Alabama
    2. Oklahoma vs. 3. Georgia

I think they got the right 4 teams. The only thing I would have done differently is seed Georgia #2 because they avenged their only loss to a team that was in the top 10 while Oklahoma lost at home to a team that finished 7-5. It’s irrelevant though since the 2 vs 3 matchup is the same anyway. Clemson’s only loss was on the road with their QB injured, so I see them as a legit #1 (especially after last night’s thrashing of the Canes).

I’ll need to ponder before making predictions, but I think the matchups look like fun contrasts in styles and strengths.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    At this point the only fair thing to do is have an OSU vs Alabama game to decide who gets the fourth spot.

I don’t think the 2017 crimson tide is anywhere near as good as the 2016 team and years behind 2015. Despite my hatred for urban Meyer and OSU I believe they’re actually better than Alabama. However, I can’t get past the fact they lost two games. One of which was a blowout to the likes of Iowa.

They really need to move to a real playoff system. Force the independents to join a conference and give the winner of each major conference a spot. What defines a major conference? It would have to include the acc, sec, pac12, big 10, and big 12 at a minimum.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think OSU is deserving at all. That Iowa game was a disqualifier. I can overlook the loss at home vs Oklahoma in Sept., though only putting up 16 at home vs. the OU defense was a chink in the armor. However, as a one loss team with no margin for error they get beat 55-24 by Iowa? Disqualified. Alabama lost in a rivalry game vs a very good and amped up Auburn team.

I agree that more of a playoff would be better. I wouldn’t kill the bowl system because it really matters to the non-contenders, but I would like to see an 8 team playoff starting with 4 bowl games on New Years instead of the current 4 team format. I would give the winners of the Power 5 conferences automatic berths, and have 3 at large berths with a formulaic preference given for unbeaten teams from non-power 5 conferences (like UCF this year).

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe these power 5 schools should all eliminate 1 cupcake team from there regular schedule and

add a extra week of playoff games/teams. This would clarify the true champion.

t

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think Georgia will beat OK, the Clemson Bama game will be a toss up, glad OSU got punked....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I'm on the fence about OSU not making. On one hand, I love that they got snubbed. But on the other hand, Alabama beat nobody this year, and the 1 game they needed to win, they lost. The fact that a team that didn't win their division or conference is playing for a national championship is a joke IMO.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I would like to see the number of bowl games reduced. There are just too many meaningless bowl games now.